New salon start up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pink Orange

Reaction score
Hi, I am going to be opening my own salon soon!! The Pink Orange and was wondering if any one had any advice or problems to look out for? Please! I think I have decieded to use CND products and will book l+p course for 8th of July I think, what do you lot think?

Welcome!
Are you opening a hair or Nail salon or both!!?

Also what training have you had in nails so far?

Sounds very exciting!

How long is a piece of string? :lol: Try looking on biz geek.
Good Name

Hi, It will be nails and tanning with hair to come at a later date as profit allows! I have done a 1 day course with lot's of models worked on since. I am booked on CND conversion course now!! and will have further training if required. I am also looking at an NVQ however the salon has to be open before I would complete. Thanks for you response's am going to check out Biz geek now too!

Hi, It will be nails and tanning with hair to come at a later date as profit allows! I have done a 1 day course with lot's of models worked on since. I am booked on CND conversion course now!! and will have further training if required. I am also looking at an NVQ however the salon has to be open before I would complete. Thanks for you response's am going to check out Biz geek now too!

Like the name very much ... good decision

Like your choice of product in CND ... best decision you could make.

You WILL need further training with CND .. but their interest in insisting on this is to partner with you to build you a successful business ... which I'm sure is exactly what you want. Best of luck.

Hi, Thankyou so much for your comments. I am looking forward to learning new skill's and developing my business. Look out for.....
'The Pink Orange'

do you have a strap line? this always helps when the name is different. good luck:hug:

hi, what's a strap line?! Is it like 'nails and tanning' underneath? Or as in news paper advertising? sorry! Thanks

Hi Welcome to the site... CND is a great choice in product you cant go wrong with a good product.... Good luck with the new salon xx

hi, what's a strap line?! Is it like 'nails and tanning' underneath? Or as in news paper advertising? sorry! Thanks

a strap line is a phrase or sentence that grabs people and explains what the business is, for example mine is:
Lavish nails
'glamour at your fingertips'.

my fella is a pr and media consultant, he reccomended me have one when i named my salon ARIAH.
my business name now is self explanatory but i have one anyway. your business name is very well thought of, its great. but a well thought of strap line will make people realise what your business is.

its just an idea hun, but either way, cool name, i like it!
good luck with your new venture:hug:

love your logo.:cool:

dont wish to rain on your parade but i would think opening you own salon with so little training is rather ambitious to say the least.
or maybe this is a much longer term plan than than your post seems to suggest.

a strap line is a phrase or sentence that grabs people and explains what the business is, for example mine is:
Lavish nails
'glamour at your fingertips'.

my fella is a pr and media consultant, he reccomended me have one when i named my salon ARIAH.
my business name now is self explanatory but i have one anyway. your business name is very well thought of, its great. but a well thought of strap line will make people realise what your business is.

its just an idea hun, but either way, cool name, i like it!
good luck with your new venture:hug:
Thanks, will have a think!

love your logo.:cool:

dont wish to rain on your parade but i would think opening you own salon with so little training is rather ambitious to say the least.
or maybe this is a much longer term plan than than your post seems to suggest.
Probably....however all my client's are happy and returning for maintainence appointments maybe i am being naive but surley that is whats most important? I am keen to improve my skill's which is why I am doing the CND L+P conversion, I will take on board the advice on further training from the experts. I love the challenge! we'll have to wait and see if I am being a twat!

Last edited:
Hi, so what products are you currently using?

Hello! I use the Edge L+P, have tried the quick dip but not very keen on the resin brush. I have tried NSI Attraction L+P which I liked but that was because I am sourcing products for the salon however I have deceided against them because I wasn't keen on their mani/pedi products not the quality, it is more the 'chakra' enhancing image they have. I would prefer to deal with one supplier.

Last edited:
Hi, like you i recently opened my salon (jan this year)
I went with a couple of suppliers as i found i loved some mani stuff from one, acrylic from another and polish etc.

I use NSI and Creative. For example i love NSI files so much more than creative especially their Turtle boards. Creative dont have anything that compares and it makes zone 3 a dream for me and the client.

I love Creative polishes and their Cuticle Away product really is a miracle in a bottle. But i do love NSI acrylic more.

Dont be so fooled into thinking that one supplier is the be and all and end all in the nail world. Each has their own wonder product! or two!!

Even my local Creative Nail training accademy uses OPI polishes :eek:

Enjoy having a look around and try different products. You will find some real gems.

Thanks...Thats really helpfull. I kind of had it in my head that having matching products would give a better first impression. However thinking about it, I guess your clients would prefer to know you use what you consider the best...after all it's your reputation you are building. Thank's again...am off to look for trail size products!!

The name is great "The Pink Orange", it has really stuck in my head - so well done. Yes it is ambitious to set up a salon, it will certainly teach you many lessons, and I wish you all the very best and success. With your enthusiasm and good education and lots of hard work you are on the right path.

IMO a salon looks more professional when fitted with one brand. However having said that, sometimes there is just those "I can't do without" products that you fall in love with, and serve you well so they will always have a special place in your salon.
IMO a salon that is bitzy with a little bit of this and a little bit of that, looks a bit "fluffy", not to mention the financial cost in courier fees getting stock from many companies.
I support 2 companies in my salon, I have one main product line, which I order monthly and a few extras from another company that I just love and can't seem to do without, which I order bi-monthly.

Do keep us posted on how the salon tracks, I take my hat off to those who take the plunge and go for it - you sure learn to swim fast - sometimes it is the best way.:green:

Hi Andrea, Thanks for your opinions. All much appreciated...I guess more research on my part and more product testing is the way forward! hardly a chore!! Thankyou also for your support...Its fab to know that industry professionals can support and encourage others new to the trade...I can't wait untill I can do the same for someone else! thanks again.

Sara

I am a brand girl. I think it looks more professional and in fact I never needed or wanted any other products other than those form CND.

My oh my, how did I ever do my zone 3 without using someone elses brand of files? :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back