New staff + their existing mobile clientele?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have absolutely no idea how a salon works then. It is a joint effort between stylist and salon owner to 'get clients in'. A stylist is selling themselves through their services, attitude and ability to build a clientèle. A salon is paying you a wage to do this. By doing a good job on a clients hair, you are selling your services not only to the client but to any potential business that may arrive from you performing that service. This can be sorely comprised if your employed stylist is doing mobile as well.

It is not rocket science.

service + payment= wages

Wages do not exist if the first two actions are not performed and those actions, in my actual living in the real world opinion, are compromised if the stylist has an interest in building their own separate business. Your column, in the salon appointment book, IS your business. It pays your wages, commission and ensures you have a job.

My stylists are more than happy with this arrangement. I let them do their partners hair, in the salon, free of charge (cutting) and chemical services at 50% reduction. They work hard in my salon, to keep their jobs, and I reward them with a good wage, commission and bonuses. I have no objections to them doing close family at home but my girls know if there column is persistently half full and they are not meeting their targets, then they have no job. I am not a charity but a business and my staff thank me for that as it keeps them in employment.

Lol of course I do but my clients are my clients, if they want treatments on the days I am working then they see me at the salon which is fair enough but I wouldn't expect to be TOLD I can't work mobile and think if anyone feels the need to tie staff in a contract so they can't do that and clients must be seen in there salon then it isn't a joint effort as there is no trust.
Salon owners don't like staff trying to get there clients to see them mobile so why should it be different.

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

Lou i completely agree with you :)
If someone asks me for a number for treatments, yes i give my number..but if i am working at the salon on a day my client would like then they come to the salon.
If a therapist or stylist says they want their own salon..it shows they have passion and ambition! Personally i wouldnt employ someone who has no drive and doesnt want anything to come of ther career x

Thank you! And I completly agree with you too! I think everybody should have the drive to work for themselves! And every employer should understand that and both have a mutual agreement that you won't steal each others clients! Lol :) Glad somebody agree's !!
People can be so rude on here just cause they disagree with some things!! Nightmare :) x

Just my point of view but I dont know why anyone would want to work in a salon all day/week, then go out mobile?
I think it shows youre either not good enough/havent got the balls to go fully self employed/mobile, and youre not loyal to your employer, and dedicated to the salon you work for?

I think its just sooo wrong??

and what do you do regards paying your tax/N.I?

do you declare these extra earnings? hope so?

Ive worked in salons,and now Im mobile,and i cant for the life of me think why anyone would want to mix the two, as theyre so different?

and for those who are fortunate enough to have a job in a salon, you maybe should thanks your lucky stars that in this financial climate you are employed,and show a little loyalty to your employer??

Kate x

Thank you! And I completly agree with you too! I think everybody should have the drive to work for themselves! And every employer should understand that and both have a mutual agreement that you won't steal each others clients! Lol :) Glad somebody agree's !!
People can be so rude on here just cause they disagree with some things!! Nightmare :) x

I would like to think that the 'rude' quote was not directed at me? Yep, I can be naive too. :)

I have nothing wrong with people wanting to better themselves and have drive and ambition, I had it and opened a salon.
Previous to that I spent 18 years working for other people, in various hairdressing work, and never split my loyalties.

I think you are missing my point (previously) entirely and just reading, 'they think I am bad person for wanting to work in a salon and mobile'.

I agree with Kate and Donna. Nobody can have it all. I try and avoid the issue by not employing people who mobile work in the first place. I think you are either loyal to your salon, or you work for yourself. You cannot expect to work in competition with your salon and expect the salon to be loyal to you.

Real world time here folks!!!

My contracts also forbid the setting up of rival businesses, and is standard, not only for this industry, but the entire world of work. Time to grow up and make choices.

Persianista Yesterday, 05:32 AM
I never employ people who have done full time mobile in the past. Apart from family/friends I frown on people doing work outside. It is not good enough to expect to sit in my staff room being paid, yet contribute nothing to the salon these days.

In my experience, mobiles have always tried to poach clients, and legal action is expensive/pointless. Staff cannot have it all.

I see your point :) But as i said its trusting staff! I have worked for year and half and just been promoted to salon manager..yes i do want my own business but i am committed to the salon too. My boss understands this and she knows as well as i do that im not gonna poach clients.
You also just said, you were open about wanting your own shop..so have i been..dont suppose you took clients as your own either?xx

Lol fantastic! :biggrin:

I totally agree with this Endless! I think it's pretty bad if a salon owner will not employ a hairdresser that has previously been full time mobile, if thats the case then thats my career wrote off if and when I decide to go back to a salon! Ridiculous!

As said above, you have to trust your staff and respect that like the owners we all need to make money and a lot of outside work is not down to poaching, stealing etc. Its just another outlet to earn a little more cash and thats it and all about it. I'm sure the very few out there that do want to poach wouldn't be very successful as you'd read them like a book in the interview, you'd know the ones that are in it to steal, but again who really would go to all that effort....It's a shame there seem to be a lot negative responses to us mobile stylists!

And I must note, if salon owners/managers stop trusting their staff or don't from the off, then expect to not be trusted back, it's a 2 way street people!

Last edited:

I totally agree with this, I think it's pretty bad if a salon owner will not employ a hairdresser that has previously been full time mobile, if thats the case then thats my career wrote off if and when I decide to go back to a salon! Ridiculous!

As said above, you have to trust your staff and respect that like the owners we all need to make money and a lot of outside work is not down to poaching, stealing etc. Its just another outlet to earn a little more cash and thats it and all about it. I'm sure the very few out there that do want to poach wouldn't be very successful as you'd read them like a book in the interview, you'd know the ones that are in it to steal, but again who really would go to all that effort....It's a shame there seem to be a lot negative responses to us mobile stylists!

And I must note, if salon owners/managers stop trusting their staff or don't from the off, then expect to not be trusted back, it's a 2 way street people!

I was not, at any point, saying I would not employ anyone that has been mobile. This is not an attack on mobile stylists!
I said that I would not employ anyone who wishes to work mobile AND work in my salon. Please, re-read the posts!

No, I don't trust staff. I don't believe anyone, hand on heart, could run both aspects of their career concurrently successfully. I am a driven person and if it were myself, I would be first thinking of my mobile business BEFORE my salon job. It is a two way street, why is always give, give, give from the salon owner.

I can't wait until you 'driven' ladies have your own salons and then have staff who do this. I am sure you will think differently and if you don't then you will sink.

Just my point of view but I dont know why anyone would want to work in a salon all day/week, then go out mobile?
I think it shows youre either not good enough/havent got the balls to go fully self employed/mobile, and youre not loyal to your employer, and dedicated to the salon you work for?

I think its just sooo wrong??

and what do you do regards paying your tax/N.I?

do you declare these extra earnings? hope so?

Ive worked in salons,and now Im mobile,and i cant for the life of me think why anyone would want to mix the two, as theyre so different?

and for those who are fortunate enough to have a job in a salon, you maybe should thanks your lucky stars that in this financial climate you are employed,and show a little loyalty to your employer??

Kate x

Haha..this actually made me laugh!
I work in a salon all week and work mobile because i love my job and have a passion for it!! I hardly stop..because i have a lot of dedicated clients as i am a dedicates therapist!
I am saving for my own house..therefore a definate income of salon work is good for me..i have a hell of a lot of regular clients in the salon and mobile...being promoted to a salon manager after just turning 19 doesnt say to me that im not good enough!!!! And for that..also proves i am loyal..my mobile work does not get in the way of my salon work!

Yes i declare all my earnings etc..i am professional about my work and lovw running my mobile business..because thats what it is..a BUSINESS!

I am more than loyal and extremely offended that you could say otherwise..but maybe you dont understand some people commitment to the industry and to my clients and employer!?!?

I like mixing the two for the pure reason of what you said..they're so different!! I like the variety and get the best of both worlds.

Hope got my point across :-D

Persianista Yesterday, 05:32 AM
I never employ people who have done full time mobile in the past. Apart from family/friends I frown on people doing work outside. It is not good enough to expect to sit in my staff room being paid, yet contribute nothing to the salon these days.

In my experience, mobiles have always tried to poach clients, and legal action is expensive/pointless. Staff cannot have it all.

I totally agree with this Endless! I think it's pretty bad if a salon owner will not employ a hairdresser that has previously been full time mobile, if thats the case then thats my career wrote off if and when I decide to go back to a salon! Ridiculous!

AGREE!! :) xx

I have had experience of staff poaching salon clients AND nicking the salon stock to do it!

I give stylists 3 months to hit targets. If they cannot acheive (realistic) targets, then I cannot work behind the chair to afford to keep them.
I expect stylists to be extremely proactive in building their salon clienteles, I pay good money and commissionso that they concentrate on their jobs. If they wish to build a business then good luck to them, but not while I am working my butt off to provide them with a job/equipment/premesis/heat/light/power/promos/branding/stock/juniors etc.

Good thread to get so many different opinions!

I work in a salon, and have many people asking if I can do it outside of
work hours, however I always always Try to convince people to come to the salon and if it's really honestly not possible I will consider doing it mobile, but I'll say it can't be a regular thing, and to be honest on them weeks we over spend, that bit extra always helps!

I think it swings both ways, need a bit of give and take from both ends

Haha..this actually made me laugh!
I work in a salon all week and work mobile because i love my job and have a passion for it!! I hardly stop..because i have a lot of dedicated clients as i am a dedicates therapist!
I am saving for my own house..therefore a definate income of salon work is good for me..i have a hell of a lot of regular clients in the salon and mobile...being promoted to a salon manager after just turning 19 doesnt say to me that im not good enough!!!! And for that..also proves i am loyal..my mobile work does not get in the way of my salon work!

Yes i declare all my earnings etc..i am professional about my work and lovw running my mobile business..because thats what it is..a BUSINESS!

I am more than loyal and extremely offended that you could say otherwise..but maybe you dont understand some people commitment to the industry and to my clients and employer!?!?

I like mixing the two for the pure reason of what you said..they're so different!! I like the variety and get the best of both worlds.

Hope got my point across :-D

Hi,

yes, you sure got your point accross,
I wasnt out to offend anybody,as my post wasnt aimed at anyone in particular.That`s why I wrote " I THINK" , it was just my opinion, not intended to make anyone laugh either, but hey, bertie bonus if i did! : )

I dont think this thread is aimed at the likes of you, who are hard-working, dedicated,has the talent of remaining totally impartial, and doing it all legally.

Your employer is obviously happy with you doing this,and thats no one elses business, although I cant for the life of me think why?
I dont see how anybody can be totally dedicated about somebody elses business when theyre also running there own?
how do you determine which lady is going to be a mobile client, or a salon client, what if a regular salon client wasnt happy, so decided to try someone mobile,and it turned out to be you?
if you think of a fab new marketing idea which do you use it for your mobile business, or the salon you run?
do you chat to your clients about the salon, or your business?
it must be awfully confusing,and an absolute conflict of interest.

Theres no way I would put in the time,effort,dedicated,and hard slog into someone elses business when i also have my own.

Also, this thread was posted in the Hair section,maybe its different for you, as going by your profile, youre not a hairdresser? just a though?

Kate : ) XX

P.S I think theres a total lack of respect being shown on this thread now, two very talented and experienced stylists are giving there valuable advice,and knowledge, treasure it, dont throw it back in there faces, not wise.........

Hi,

I wasnt out to offend anybody,as my post wasnt aimed at anyone in particular.That`s why I wrote " I THINK" , it was just my opinion, not intended to make anyone laugh either, but hey, bertie bonus if i did! : )

I dont think this thread is aimed at the likes of you, who are hard-working, dedicated,has the talent of remaining totally impartial, and doing it all legally.

Your employer is obviously happy with you doing this,and thats no one elses business, although I cant for the life of me think why?
I dont see how anybody can be totally dedicated about somebody elses business when theyre also running there own?
how do you determine which lady is going to be a mobile client, or a salon client, what if a regular salon client wasnt happy, so decided to try someone mobile,and it turned out to be you?
if you think of a fab new marketing idea which do you use it for your mobile business, or the salon you run?

Theres no way I would put in the time,effort,dedicated,and hard slog into someone elses business when i also have my own.

Also, this thread was posted in the Hair section,maybe its different for you, as going by your profile, youre not a hairdresser? just a though?

P.S I think theres a total lack of respect being shown on this thread now, two very talented and experienced stylists are giving there valuable advice,and knowledge, treasure it, dont throw it back in there faces, not wise.........

Agreed. No other business would put up with "moonlighting" so why should we? As Dawn said we spend too long working our butts off in the salon to pay the wages of those who aren't bringing in their clients. Because you are doing them mobile?

This post has made me so angry!!!!!

I use to work in a salon as well as a large clientele in the salon. I don't advertise my mobile services to salon clients and if a mobile client wanted a salon experience i would invite them to the salon. I worked for a large chain of salons and they never had a problem with it. If you tell your stylist they can't do mobile shame on you. Hair is a poor wage so that's why people do mobile. If they were happy with a salon wage they wouldn't do mobile on there day off!!

Selfish salon owners!!! I would never tell my staff they couldn't do mobile as long as they don't advertise.it to salon clients . If salon clients do ask i say i couldn't do it from doing them in a salon

Craig Keane
www.hculture.co.uk

Hi,

I literally just noticed was hair!! Whoops..but i can imagine works pretty similar for each :)

If a potential client was to ask me for a number..for most things, yes i would give my own..but i send some of my clients to the salon for electrical facials etc as these i dont do from home :)
My mobile clients know i work at the salon..and my salon clients, if they ask, i say yes i do but i dont give any details..kind of change subject to avoid them asking because i have a lot of respect for my boss which is maybe why she does understand me working mobile too because of that trust?!
I help out a lot with salon marketing where possible, but we have kind of slowed down with that at the minute as two of the girls are going on maternity leave this month so lots more clients to squeeze in lol.
If a regular client wasnt happy at the salon, i would find out why and see if she was willing to try again, but if she didnt want to, that would be the clients choice. Its hard because the salon i'm in has been around 10 years so many of the clients are very dedicated to the salon :)
I love spending so much time of my life working doing what i love..not many people can say they love their job but i couldnt dream of anything better! Lol..and im sure you agree!

This thread is full of talented and dedicated therapists and stylists and we all have our opinions..i agree people have different opinions and have had different experiences...but not all therapists and stylists are the same and many are not out to get at other people business. Its obvious everyones very passionate about their work..its good and it shows through posts..their the good ones :p thats definitely many people on this thread :)

Kayleigh xx

This post has made me so angry!!!!!

I use to work in a salon as well as a large clientele in the salon. I don't advertise my mobile services to salon clients and if a mobile client wanted a salon experience i would invite them to the salon. I worked for a large chain of salons and they never had a problem with it. If you tell your stylist they can't do mobile shame on you. Hair is a poor wage so that's why people do mobile. If they were happy with a salon wage they wouldn't do mobile on there day off!!

Selfish salon owners!!! I would never tell my staff they couldn't do mobile as long as they don't advertise.it to salon clients . If salon clients do ask i say i couldn't do it from doing them in a salon

Craig Keane
www.hculture.co.uk

I have to say that o agree with this, when you employ someone it doesnt mean you own them! What they do in their own time with the skills that they spend time at college learning is up to them! It's the same in any trade, as long as they are giving 100% while they are at work I don't see the problem. Most mobile clients come from friends of friends, I don't think stylist that have a full time job actively advertise them selves around the salons area, and if they do they are the kind of People who would lie to you about doing mobile work, build up a clientelle with you then leave and take them all with them....and as for people stealing stock to do home clients, well a theif is a theif, even if they wasn't doing home hair they would still steal from you!

Just to add another angle into this very interesting discussion... doesn't it come into play how far away the salon is from your mobile area? As an example, I work in a Salon 1 day a week in the east of Newcastle, I also have a mobile business covering Tyne & Wear (which encompasses said salon location)... now, because I actually really like being in the salon and despite the fact that I make less money out of it, I do try and encourage people within roughly a 3-5 mile radius of the salon to visit me there instead. Some do, some prefer mobile but either way I don't feel like I'm doing anything wrong, I'm simply serving my client in the most appropriate way and quite often bringing new business into the salon.

I have clients who physically can't get to the salon... Not even client is.able to get to a salon

Gr this has Really upset me this post!!! Owners.thinking they own staff!!!!!!!

Craig Keane
www.hculture.co.uk

I have clients who physically can't get to the salon... Not even client is.able to get to a salon

Gr this has Really upset me this post!!! Owners.thinking they own staff!!!!!!!

Craig Keane
www.hculture.co.uk

I agree :) many of my mobile clients either have young children, cant drive or are elderly, and some just prefer their own environment.
I enjoy being between mobile and a salon :) as long as we happy with what we do, our employers etc and most importantly, our clients are...thats what matters.

Kayleigh x

Latest posts

Back