New therapist looks moody and making no effort, what shall I say?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claire bear

Reaction score
Ok our new therapist started on Monday and I just feel like she isn't fitting in and it is such a shame because she is good at her treatments. She doesn't smile doesn't really acknowledge clients or rush to say hello or goodbye and we are a really friendly salon so I know for a fact by the end of the weekend our regulars will definitely have something to say about her as she comes across rude. She left the salon this afternoon to go to tesco without telling me and just told one of the other girls and had a 45 minute break where In the end I had to go and ask if she was Neally finished and to come down and help clean up. She had already had a break for lunch earlier so I don't think this is acceptable and also she should only half half an hour anyway. I ended up telling her to have an early day at half four and the other girls would clean up because I just felt to upset to be around her any longer. I just don't know what to do or what to say to her. After three days in a new job I would be expecting to see 100 percent effort put in doing jobs you wouldn't normally do just to impress but she has really disappointed me and peeved me right off already that shall I just tell her it isn't working out because I really don't think she will get any better as I think this is just her personality. What shall I say or do please help xxxxxx

Just a thought, but maybe she is a bit shy? It can be daunting starting a new job. Once she starts mixing with your team and building up confidence she may change? Or be easier to talk to?

x

I would get rid. Personally, i want someone who fits into my team, is excellent at her job and is nice to be around for both my staff and clients. If you have this feeling after 3 days you need to cut your loses i'd say. There are plenty of girls out there who are excellent at their treatments and a joy to work with, go find one of them!
I'd just explain that after the first week you don't feel she is fitting into the salon. And although her treatments are very good, both her, and yourself/staff need to work as a great team and be happy working together all day every day, and that you dont think this is the case.

Thats what id do!

Just a thought, but maybe she is a bit shy? It can be daunting starting a new job. Once she starts mixing with your team and building up confidence she may change? Or be easier to talk to?

x

Well that's what iv been telling myself and using it as an excuse for her but when I think about it we have a 15 year old junior who is very shy but the polite girl you could meet. For example this morning I introduced my new girl to one of my clients who was on the bed at the time, she lifted her head and said hello but new girl didn't even turn around and say hello back I was mortified. I feel that even if I give her time to settle in she should still be more polite anyway! X

I would get rid. Personally, i want someone who fits into my team, is excellent at her job and is nice to be around for both my staff and clients. If you have this feeling after 3 days you need to cut your loses i'd say. There are plenty of girls out there who are excellent at their treatments and a joy to work with, go find one of them!
I'd just explain that after the first week you don't feel she is fitting into the salon. And although her treatments are very good, both her, and yourself/staff need to work as a great team and be happy working together all day every day, and that you dont think this is the case.

Thats what id do!

I think your right but I just don't want to get tongue tied and not explain myself properly. Plus I feel annoyed iv bought her two new uniforms and paid for two training courses for her to attend! X

eeek thats alot to have paid for so soon!

Id definately cut your losses now. Im not good with confrontation but I am getting better, the mroe i do the easier it becomes.

Id explain that she doesnt seem happy to be in your salon and she has taken too many breaks, and after a few days workign you dont shes right for your salon. explain you wil have what money is due to her ready when she returns her uniforms.

x

So you definitely think I should get rid of her even though she is good and I'm short staffed and not tell her her faults and give her the opportunity to change. ? X

You could sit her down & have a 1 week informal review. Ask her how it's going, point out what you're really pleased with, go over salon rules again & tell her what you want her to work on. You need to set her timed goals - you need to work out what improvement you want, how you want to see it and how long she has to improve eg a week or fortnight.

This is exactly what I thought and decided I was going to do but the more I think about it I shouldn't have to be saying these things to her or giving her deadlines after three days! My other therapist who started two years ago used to wipe down the skirting boards every night before she went home lol and even to this day still asks me if it's ok if she goes on her lunch break! X

So you definitely think I should get rid of her even though she is good and I'm short staffed and not tell her her faults and give her the opportunity to change. ? X

Everyone deserves a second chance. (especially since you have spent all that money on her!!) But you need to tell her what she is doing wrong so she can have a chance at improving. Maybe have a chat with her and see what she says.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I think she should be given the chance to rectify the problem, and the chance for you to explain your issues to her. As someone said it might just be because she needs time to settle in and feel part of the team. From the chat you will probably be able to gauge weather it's just her attitude. If after the chat things do not change then yes I think your within your right to terminate her employment.

Everyone deserves a second chance. (especially since you have spent all that money on her!!) But you need to tell her what she is doing wrong so she can have a chance at improving. Maybe have a chat with her and see what she says.

Oh gosh I just don't know what the right decision to make is! My gut feeling is to get rid of her bit I don't know if that is just because I am annoyed. I know you say everyone deserves a second chance and I do agree but in the past I have two members of staff that I didn't dare address things with in the beginning and they turned out to be awful and I swore I would never keep anyone on again that I had bad feeling about x

Oh gosh I just don't know what the right decision to make is! My gut feeling is to get rid of her bit I don't know if that is just because I am annoyed. I know you say everyone deserves a second chance and I do agree but in the past I have two members of staff that I didn't dare address things with in the beginning and they turned out to be awful and I swore I would never keep anyone on again that I had bad feeling about x

The thing is, if you are not addressing the issues to the person in question, then they don't have a chance to rectify the problem.

She may have come from a work environment where this behaviour is acceptable, and may need to be nudged into the swing of things.

The decision is yours. You need to do what feels right. x

What was she like on her interview?

How did she come across when you interviewed her? Surely you must have been happy with her personality/presentation to have offered her the job...?

I think it would be very unfair to simply fire her because you're not brave enough to actively manage the issues. Part of being a boss is leading a team and giving constructive feedback - so you would not be doing your job properly if you didn't take some action before concluding that dismissal is the only option, in my opinion.

On a side note, can she hear properly? It sounds very odd if you tried to introduce a regular client to her and she didn't even turn around. If that happened to me, I wouldn't assume the person was rude, I would assume that they hadn't heard me. Have you asked her whether she has any issues with her hearing or any other things that might affect her interaction with people? Ignoring someone in this situations is just very strange, it's not a normal reaction and so I wonder if there is more going on than you're aware of.

What was she like on her interview?

If I'm honest on her interview I didn't think she was the happiest of people then but she was creative nail trained and able to do acrylics at a high standard which is hard to come across these days when your interviewing people it's unbelievable some of the trade tests you come across so I snapped her up. X

If I'm honest on her interview I didn't think she was the happiest of people then but she was creative nail trained and able to do acrylics at a high standard which is hard to come across these days when your interviewing people it's unbelievable some of the trade tests you come across so I snapped her up. X

So she didn't mis-represent herself by being all smiley and happy.

And not everyone is.

I agree with Haylo when she says you need to give her the opportunity to know how you are feeling.

It's not right to be talking about her and having such thoughts without even having at least one conversation with her.

It is possible that her credentials will speak for themselves and people will accept that she is not full of beans and conversation.

As for the lady on the table - maybe your new lady has a deaf ear and didn't hear you which is why she didn't respond. My point here is that you just don't know why she didn't answer because you haven't asked her.

If she is as good as you say she is I would definitely try hard before I sacked her. Good therapists are not easy to find.

Sounds like she needs more support and direction to help her fit in. She probably doesn't know what to do for the best. As you say you are getting peeved and she is probably picking up on your mood. In turn she is probably trying to keep a low profile, which then annoys you more! Lol

You def need to sit and do weekly reviews with her. It maybe she isn't enjoying it or that she is having issues that may be causing her not to settle in well (other team members for instance). Do the reviews and clearly set out your expectations, set clear goals and timeframes to the changes of behavior you expect. Set a further meeting date to review progress and if she is still struggling then maybe at that point you can decide whether she stays or goes.

TBH sounds like she just needs a bit of tlc to help her settle in.

Good luck

Maybe have a staff meeting, run over some customer service techniques, on my mirror in the staff room where I use to work it said "smile for the customer" once you read it you smiled even if you we're having a cruddy day!

If that fails, ditch her, after all your business needs to be a plac clients want to come, if you offer appointments with this new girl and clients don't like her they may not want to give you the trade! It's a harsh world and lots of competition but only the best will be successful, don't let her pull you down!

Sounds like she needs more support and direction to help her fit in. She probably doesn't know what to do for the best. As you say you are getting peeved and she is probably picking up on your mood. In turn she is probably trying to keep a low profile, which then annoys you more! Lol

You def need to sit and do weekly reviews with her. It maybe she isn't enjoying it or that she is having issues that may be causing her not to settle in well (other team members for instance). Do the reviews and clearly set out your expectations, set clear goals and timeframes to the changes of behavior you expect. Set a further meeting date to review progress and if she is still struggling then maybe at that point you can decide whether she stays or goes.

TBH sounds like she just needs a bit of tlc to help her settle in.

Good luck

Again I completely agree with what your saying but I haven't let her know I'm annoyed and again it doesn't mean u have to be rude even if your trying to settle in. Today she told someone she doesn't get emotional and doesn't cry I honestly think its just her and I won't get her to change even with a little pep talk I'm worried it will make an atmosphere insteadofnclearing one x

Latest posts

Back