New therapist looks moody and making no effort, what shall I say?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel you need to sit her down and go through what is bothering you with her.
As for breaks, she needs to be told that she needs to clear her break times with you, ie when she can have them, is it convenient and for how long.

Ask her straight out about her hearing, is there a problem as she did not respond when a client said hello to her.

Write down what is bugging you and go through it with her.

Tell her she is on probation until a certain date for her to improve with her fitting into the salon.

She possibly isnt aware that there are problems, but she needs to be made aware of it. You do need to give her the chance to change before getting rid of her.

A salon I worked at, we all had to check before going on breaks etc and for how long in case it was inconvenient, due to someone else doing something or needing extra help.

You felt she was good enough at the interview, so see if things can be rectified. You never know, it may well all turn out fine and she will be the best therapist you have ever had. But sort it as soon as possible.

Again I completely agree with what your saying but I haven't let her know I'm annoyed and again it doesn't mean u have to be rude even if your trying to settle in. Today she told someone she doesn't get emotional and doesn't cry I honestly think its just her and I won't get her to change even with a little pep talk I'm worried it will make an atmosphere insteadofnclearing one x

You say she told someone that she doesn't get emotional and doesn't cry. I feel there is something very sad about this girl and for someone not to have emotions or even cry, maybe things have happened in her past that make her put up a brick wall. I know she is employed to do a job, but sounds to me like a little support wouldn't go a miss. I feel she needs a warm and friendly atmosphere around her and maybe this will help the situation. I would feel sad if she were to be dismissed so soon.

Im not sure you can just get rid that easy. What does your contract say?
Is she on a trial period? Have you set down whats expected during the trial.

My advice would be seek legal advice before sacking, to cover yourself.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

Im not sure you can just get rid that easy. What does your contract say?
Is she on a trial period? Have you set down whats expected during the trial.

My advice would be seek legal advice before sacking, to cover yourself.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

She only started Monday and hasn't signed her contract yet but even so there is a trial period included in it x

Oh god babe, I really feel for you. You were so excited to get her in too! What a nightmare. I totally get that you must be really annoyed about this situation but I have to agree with what others are saying in that you should probably address the situation with her and give her a few days to try and improve and if nothing changes even after you have pointed out the issues then u should end her trial period. This way at least you were totally fair and gave her a chance, but it has to be right for everyone and everyone must pull their weight! So if she can't step up to the mark then she's no dogwood for your salon.xxx

Lol...dogwood... Was meant to just say 'good' xx

Lollllll dogwood been waiting for you pop up Jen ha....... I hear what your saying but just been discussing it at home and if I bring up all these points with her I reckon she will prob not want to work for me anyway after that and will possibly look for another job and stay with me while she is looking and very possibly leave me in lurch for Christmas x

True, but I think you will be able to tell from her attitude if this is what she is going to do. Ring her tomo, be upfront, this is your salon, so you take control, you're not happy so tell her. Give her until next Tuesday or something to buck her ideas up and if you feel her attitude still isn't right then get rid and get looking again for another therapist ASAP. I am gutted for you!xxx

It doesn't sound like your ideal member of staff, but it can be stressful starting a new job, especially the first week, and maybe she is finding the stress hard to deal with and is coming across badly.

I really feel for you, but just informally sit down and draw her out about how she's feeling. If you say she hasn't signed her contract yet, then I would say a meeting is a good idea.

Of course, she may not feel she is fitting in, and she may be wanting to leave? Who knows why some people act the way they do!

True, but I think you will be able to tell from her attitude if this is what she is going to do. Ring her tomo, be upfront, this is your salon, so you take control, you're not happy so tell her. Give her until next Tuesday or something to buck her ideas up and if you feel her attitude still isn't right then get rid and get looking again for another therapist ASAP. I am gutted for you!xxx

She is off tomorrow so i might ask her come in early fri morn for a chat or let her work fri and ask all clients from that day for an honest opinion on her and if any are bad then perhaps speak to her sat morn instead and have their comments to back me up? Whatvu think? X

I personally wouldn't involve my clients, I wouldn't want them knowing there was an issue. I'd just speak to her before she next works. Just get it out in the open. But you need to do what suits you babe.xx

I personally wouldn't involve my clients, I wouldn't want them knowing there was an issue. I'd just speak to her before she next works. Just get it out in the open. But you need to do what suits you babe.xx

I wouldn't ask in a way so they thought there was a problem more can u give me honest feedback on the new girl as I trust your opinion. I'm so confused what to do for best :-( x

Hmm. Have you considered that she may have Aspergers?

Hmm. Have you considered that she may have Aspergers?

Hi no I haven't and I don't want to sound ignorant but I wouldn't know what I was looking for and why I would consider she had it? X

It's just a thought. Women with Aspergers can come across as moody and shut down in social situations - although they can be high functioning in other areas - the fact that she is really good technically yet poor socially was what made me wonder. I am so not an expert but having come across one or two people with Aspergers I know how hard they find this sort of thing.

Have a look at this (just in case): My Aspergers Child: Dealing with Aspergers Employees: What Employers Need to Know

That's interesting thank you x

No probs, it might be that she is just moody but the fact that she is technically good and socially not so much made me wonder. Interesting in that it says people with Aspergers will avoid the uncomfortable bits of the job (clients and colleagues) and focus on the bits they like (reading between the lines - breaks).

No probs, it might be that she is just moody but the fact that she is technically good and socially not so much made me wonder. Interesting in that it says people with Aspergers will avoid the uncomfortable bits of the job (clients and colleagues) and focus on the bits they like (reading between the lines - breaks).

I really think she is just moody lol she has a kind of air about her that thinks she is better than everybody but I have just read that article and it's very interesting and will remember for the future too :) x

Oh this is just an awful situation. It's a shame you don't have a business partner to take control x

Oh Clairebear I'm logged in on your account! X

Latest posts

Back