Newly qualified, am I asking too much?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snaz

Reaction score
This is the first time that I have had an apprentice and she has just qualified.

I am going to be keep her on, has her work is good and I believe she can progress. Only issue I have it that's she doesn't talk to clients which I have told her she has 6 months to progress in this and I will review.

Am I asking too much now.?

1) She should beable to do all basic cuts.

2) She should beable to do a full consultation choosing hair colours and technique to be used.

I will still be there for reassure but personally I think she should now do this all on her own merit. Or am I being too pushy? I will be progressing has on her level 3.

Thank you X

I think you are being too pushy.

She is very newly qualified to now needs to get to the stage where she is subconsciously competent where it is all natural to her (like driving a car and it all clicks into place).

I had a stylist just like yours who was good but didn't really talk at first l and it was because she was concentrating and thinking what she was doing.
I did alot more in salon training with my stylist. Did alot of consultation training and went through alot of open questions to give her ideas on how to initiate conversation.
Also a trend board with all the current trends and upcoming trends to help with ideas during the consultation process too.

She is very newly qualified to now needs to get to the stage where she is subconsciously competent where it is all natural to her (like driving a car and it all clicks into place).

I had a stylist just like yours who was good but didn't really talk at first l and it was because she was concentrating and thinking what she was doing.
I did alot more in salon training with my stylist. Did alot of consultation training and went through alot of open questions to give her ideas on how to initiate conversation.
Also a trend board with all the current trends and upcoming trends to help with ideas during the consultation process too.

Thanks for reply.

I will take this on board, and do some of This with her.
I will set some time aside and we will do some trend boards. And some work on open and closed question to help her.
She is a lovely girl, just need a gentle push, because client have said she is coming over has ignorant. I would rather put my effort in helping her than starting all over with a new trainee.

This is all new to me too training people, hence why asking. I was just going off my personal experience when I was trained.

Thanks again,
Xx

Last edited:
If you / anyone has any other ideas to help progress would be truly helpful xxx

Thanks for reply.

I will take this on board, and do some of This with her.
I will set some time aside and we will do some trend boards. And some work on open and closed question to help her.
She is a lovely girl, just need a gentle push, because client have said she is coming over has ignorant. I would rather but my effort in helping had then staring over with a new trainee.

This is all new to me too training people, hence why asking. I was just going off my personal experience when I was trained.

Thanks again,
Xx

I know exactly how you feel! My stylists was accused of being ignorant too. When I asked her why she didn't talk it was because she was concentrating so much. The last thing you want is to lose customers because of it.

You could always suggest for her to go somewhere for a consultation and let her tell you about how she felt about it and how will she do her consultations differently to before.

I don't think you're asking too much, as long as she has your help and guidance at hand.
She should be able to hold a conversation (if the client wants to) and if she can't she should at least be able to say "sorry if I'm a bit quiet I'm just concentrating" or something like that..
Does she watch you while you are with clients? She should just be able to mimic you if she's not confident in herself yet..
It does take time and is nerve racking at first but we all have to do it and the quicker she starts the better.

This is the first time that I have had an apprentice and she has just qualified.

I am going to be keep her on, has her work is good and I believe she can progress. Only issue I have it that's she doesn't talk to clients which I have told her she has 6 months to progress in this and I will review.

Am I asking too much now.?

1) She should beable to do all basic cuts.

2) She should beable to do a full consultation choosing hair colours and technique to be used.

I will still be there for reassure but personally I think she should now do this all on her own merit. Or am I being too pushy? I will be progressing has on her level 3.

Thank you X
itoo talk far less when concentrating...so i try to ensure i chat during the stages which require less thought....ie when shampooing the clientatthe basin

so maybe encourage her to talk at the basin as a first step....?

just wanted to say that i love this 'subconsciously competent' idea and the four stages.

She must be talking to the clients a little bit to do a consultation... how old is she??

I don't like to chat to clients at the backwash as I think it should be a chance for them to relax.

Has she said why she doesn't talk?

She is 18.
When I done her mums nails she says that she doesn't talk...
She has had times where she has talked.
existing customers now try and get her to talk but when a new client comes she will not talk. Even whilst colour is developing and she's not doing anything. Also greeting customers poor.. I really need to work on this area... X

She must be talking to the clients a little bit to do a consultation... how old is she??

I don't like to chat to clients at the backwash as I think it should be a chance for them to relax.

Has she said why she doesn't talk?
I totally agree. I might chat during shampoo. But conditioner I try not to... Sometimes I have chatty clients though!

When I was in college doing my level 2 learning I would always chat to my client while doing my practical probably too much lol but then I like to chat.. Maybe she's just not a very chatty person? Does she chat to you much?

Just keep an eye on her see how things go, she may be unhappy about something at work or at home. If she is only 18 she is probably still shy x

Latest posts

Back