Newly qualified spray tan therapist, advice needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tantruth is a cheaper brand of tan and delivers lovely results. Ive only used the lotion but if the spray tan is of a similar standard then this could be a fantastic option in terms of value for money and getting good results.

I use OMG tan. They have an offer on just now of buy one get one free.lol however I think they have changed the name to DHA solutions.. I'm keeping it as omg on my price lists as I think it sounds better... I did this cos it came in a kit with free solution and when I tried it I loved the colour and so do my clients... They have different smells and percentages. Which my clients love. It comes off so evenly too. I really like omg much better than fake bake and my clients r the same... Plus every salon in my town does fake bake.... I stamped my feet and vowed to be different... Hence omg getting introduced

You should be warned: if your spray tan solution has a smell, it is most often to cover up the bad DHA smell from improperly produced formula.

Bit of a sweeping statement that is not necessarily true. I'm sure there are a few geeks that represent other reputable tanning companies that will have something to say about this. Scare tactics aren't really the best way to promote your business, neither is trying to discredit others!

Hi Gem,
I appreciate your concern, but can't help but disagree with you. My sentiment was not so much an opinion as it was tested chemistry:
DHA is derived from sugar cane and sugar beets, and the refined powder generally smells sweet (personally i think it smelled a bit like coffee, but maybe that was just because i drink a lot of coffee haha)--all in all the powder does not have much of a smell at all (and kind of tastes like cotton candy). Once reacting to the skin, DHA does smell a bit like burnt sugar--but in truth it is more the other ingredients that produce any of the "spray tan/ DHA smell" that people experience.

Speaking generally, the "Spray-tan" smell is created when a formula introduces thickeners and other ingredients that themselves have bad smells-
--I suppose I should have qualified "improperly formulated" as: a formula that does what it is supposed to (I.E. tan skin), but that also includes unnecessary ingredients or lower-grade ingredients that have bad smells of their own, and thus also require fragrances that induce allergic reactions.

One way to get rid of this offensive odor is to cover it up with fragrance oils (which have been proven to cause allergic reactions.) Please see: Allergies to Fragrance | LIVESTRONG.COM or: Allergic reactions trigger blow to perfume industry | euronews, reporter for more information.

Another way to get rid of the smell is to formulate a solution that doesn't require fragrance oils/cover up smells: this is done by sampling the different thickeners and grades (Xanthan Gum alone has something like 10 different grades) and finding out which work best and produce the least/no smells. (and thus require no fragrance oils).

I completely agree that the statement was sweeping and not necessarily true--as i said:"it is most often a cover up". I'm sure there are great products out there that use fragrance oils simply because they think they smell good; however, that does not reduce the danger of causing an allergic reaction.

Last edited:
Hi Gem,
I appreciate your concern, but can't help but disagree with you. My sentiment was not so much an opinion as it was tested chemistry:
DHA is derived from sugar cane and sugar beets, and the refined powder generally smells sweet (personally i think it smelled a bit like coffee, but maybe that was just because i drink a lot of coffee haha)--all in all the powder does not have much of a smell at all (and kind of tastes like cotton candy). Once reacting to the skin, DHA does smell a bit like burnt sugar--but in truth it is more the other ingredients that produce any of the "spray tan/ DHA smell" that people experience.

Speaking generally, the "Spray-tan" smell is created when a formula introduces thickeners and other ingredients that themselves have bad smells-
--I suppose I should have qualified "improperly formulated" as: a formula that does what it is supposed to (I.E. tan skin), but that also includes unnecessary ingredients or lower-grade ingredients that have bad smells of their own, and thus also require fragrances that induce allergic reactions.

One way to get rid of this offensive odor is to cover it up with fragrance oils (which have been proven to cause allergic reactions.) Please see: Allergies to Fragrance | LIVESTRONG.COM or: Allergic reactions trigger blow to perfume industry | euronews, reporter for more information.

Another way to get rid of the smell is to formulate a solution that doesn't require fragrance oils/cover up smells: this is done by sampling the different thickeners and grades (Xanthan Gum alone has something like 10 different grades) and finding out which work best and produce the least/no smells. (and thus require no fragrance oils).

I completely agree that the statement was sweeping and not necessarily true--as i said:"it is most often a cover up". I'm sure there are great products out there that use fragrance oils simply because they think they smell good; however, that does not reduce the danger of causing an allergic reaction.

I'd just like to point out that I've had hundreds of spray tans now... Even the most sensitive skins and my omg fragranced tan of chocolate, vanilla and strawberry have NEVER given ANY of my clients a bad reaction. They absolutely love the smell as it beats the smell of biscuits as everyone describes it. Surely companies would not be allowed to fragrance their tans if there was something wrong in doing so?
I think your comment was quite abrupt and there wasn't really any need for you to say it the way you did... Publicly pulling down all these companies who do fragrance their tans isn't fair either.

Not very professional really

By trying to make out they improperly make their tans is just not fair.

I am in canada and had tried a few different solutions before I found one I liked. I only use Norvell. Their product line is great. Their solution has a raspberry almond smell to it. It's wonderful. I use and have never found it to have that next day smell (that I have had after spray tans from a booth at a salon )

Latest posts

Back