Newly Trained and Lacking in Confidence

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MandieLouise

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to nails. I did a two day course covering gel, fibreglass and silk. I have done 2-4 sets since I trained and I just don't feel confident, they look beautiful when I do them but soon start lifing around the cuticles. I even had a go at just putting gel on my natural nails as they are a decent length and they lifted around the free edge.

My husband is nagging me to do something with my training as I haven't as yet done any advertising or taken on any paying clients, I just do family.

How can I get confident enough to go it on my own. I keep saying I'm going to do some more training in nails and other beauty therapy before I go it alone, but I am just stalling really. I want to do this so I can get out of my boring mundane 20 hours a week job in front of a computer.

You all talk about CND training, what is this and where do I find out about it?

Would it be worth investing in a Nail Trainer?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Mandie

Hi and welcome to the industry....

I know it can be really hard to get into it... when your starting out and your confidence is low....(darn lifting) then it can be really hard to ask for money....
End of the day, if you don't it's costing you.

Contact Creative through their website www.designernails.com go to the education and find nearest area, give em a call ;) Creative will definatly be able to give you a major boost with you abilities.

Hi hun, welcome to the site!! I think I can safely say that we have all been where you are at the moment so don't think you are alone or unusual. It's that old faithful - practice, practice, practice .......... makes perfect.

There are some fantastic FREE tutorials on this site which hopefully could solve your lifting problems. Main causes of lifting are inadequate nail prep and getting your product too close to the skin. Don't give up, and don't take on paying clients until you are confident as you'll only end up getting so many compaints with the lifting that it'll blow your confidence and you'll give up.

So many people think doing nail enahncements is easy peasy, you've just found out it's not. think of it like hair, you wouldn't be able to suddenly cut and colour someone's hair without a lot of training and practice, well nails are no different.

Good luck hun, keep your chin up, we're here to help and support you when you need it.

Thanks for your replies, it is nice to know that I'm not the only one feeling like this. When I did my training, I was amazed at the work that goes into a set of nails. I've had them done but you don't pay attention to the work, too busy chatting. I've contacted the Creative Nail Academy and they are going to send me some info out about courses. I did my training with Star Nails and after reading posts on here, I think I would be more confident having done some training with Creative.

I dropped a hint to my hubby about a Nail Trainer for Xmas, he just said thats a lot of money to spend if you aren't going to do anything with your skill.

Thanks again.

Mandie

hi Ya welcome to the site.

Well hand on heart if it had not been for this site i probably....no definately would have jacked it all in!!

Lifting.....what a headache.....luckily i dont seem to have too much of a problem with it but no matter how thorough you think you are its more than likely to be your prep (well it was in my case!!).

Dont despair everyone is so helpful here i am sure you'll get your problem 'licked'

What i would very highly recommend is some one to one training with a creative ambassador - competitvely priced - and excellent for problems you make be having.

HTH

GOOD LUCK !!

AMB XXX

MandieLouise said:
Thanks for your replies, it is nice to know that I'm not the only one feeling like this. When I did my training, I was amazed at the work that goes into a set of nails. I've had them done but you don't pay attention to the work, too busy chatting. I've contacted the Creative Nail Academy and they are going to send me some info out about courses. I did my training with Star Nails and after reading posts on here, I think I would be more confident having done some training with Creative.

I dropped a hint to my hubby about a Nail Trainer for Xmas, he just said thats a lot of money to spend if you aren't going to do anything with your skill.

Thanks again.

Mandie
I am feeling a little the same at the moment but I have only just done my CND course, still got the exam and re-balance on Monday to do. Just a pointer though, if you are thinking of doing the CNDF Course, you get a Nail Trainer in as part of the price so don't rush out and buy one if you are thinking of doing the course any time soon.

Best of luck
Jen

I'm not surprised you're lacking confidence if your two day course was anything like the one I went on - it's nowhere near enough information/experience/ expertise to get you fully qualified! I also did a two-day course and left with loads of enthusiasm but no technique, experience or really any proper know how. I'm now undertaking a year long mani/pedi/nail technology VTCT course at my local college in the hope that this provides me with enough of all of the above to make a new career for myself! Don't get downheartened, as the others have said you're by no means alone in feeling like you do! Good luck! xxx

Hi MandieLousie,

Dont despair!! As you have read we have all been there. Does the company who you trained with do workshops? I travelled cross country once a month to attend workshops with the head of training for NSI and it was the best thing I ever did. You need back up, some you will get from the company and the rest you will get from this site! Feel free to ask questions - everyone will always be happy to help

Hope this helps

x- Red Admiral -x

Hi MandieLouise

It can be quite nerve racking if u are newly trained nail tech. When I trained years back I was so nervous and lacked confidence too. But I never forgot what my CND tutor told me. Practice, Practice, Practice.

Which I did for about 6 months which built up my confidence and I went on to open my own nail studio. Good thing my friends wanted to have free nails done.

CND training is fab u will learn a great deal from them. Have fun.

Temmisan

can anyone tell me whether CND do part time courses at all. i have 2 young children and am unable to attend fulltime. if not can anyone reccommend another course that will suit me thanks????

The Creative Nail Foundation Course is a 4 day course - 3 days in one week with a further day 2 - 3 weeks later for your infills and exam. They do do one day courses but these are for people with experience and basic training (+ or the 4 day course) and these corses are for further advanced training, airbrushing, different applications etc. If you ring Creative Nails themselves I am sure they could advise you and send you out any relevant info. There is info on this link

http://www.creativenailplace.com/training.htm

best of luck.

Jen

MandieLouise said:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to nails. I did a two day course covering gel, fibreglass and silk. I have done 2-4 sets since I trained and I just don't feel confident, they look beautiful when I do them but soon start lifing around the cuticles. I even had a go at just putting gel on my natural nails as they are a decent length and they lifted around the free edge.​
Make sure there is no non living tissue blocking good bonding.....

Make sure product, Resin or Gel does not flood the cuticles and sidewalls....It should be flush with the nailplate and no ridges or steps should be visible at cuticle and sidewalls........
Gel needs to be capped at the free edge so it clamps itself around the free edge.........

My husband is nagging me to do something with my training as I haven't as yet done any advertising or taken on any paying clients, I just do family.
A 2 days course is not going to make you a mega money earner, it is a first step to further education..........Like infant schooling, now you can read and write, now you need further schooling to learn about other subjects.......
Sculpting, troubleshooting, flat nails, ski jump nails, and much more ......... I have been in the bizz 13+ years and still get all the education I can get, to keep me ahead in the nail industry......

How can I get confident enough to go it on my own. I keep saying I'm going to do some more training in nails and other beauty therapy before I go it alone, but I am just stalling really. I want to do this so I can get out of my boring mundane 20 hours a week job in front of a computer.
Get out there and get that extra education, do as many sets on friends and family and any other willing person you can find.....Charge them just a little to recoupe your product costs and you soon will be much more confident.....

You all talk about CND training, what is this and where do I find out about it?
Call Leeds and ask them for a life long learning prospectus.....
Tel: 01132750433

Would it be worth investing in a Nail Trainer?
Oh yes, I have one and use it all the time.........

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Mandie
You are welcome babe xxx

Latest posts

Back