Next Step: what to do

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayleighs Nail & Beauty Studio

Reaction score
Hi all , im just looking for a little advise..ive been renting a small room in a hairdresser for 2years nearly now..My room is becoming too small , it getting difficult as i have to transform the room around to spray tan etc..its just too small..i have found a salon which is renting a full upstairs of a hair salon , it has 3 rooms , which is ideal and big windows , so great for spray tanning as i will have plenty of ventilation , which i havnt got much of at the moment...i have to put some flooring down and give it a lick of paint but for the price its little less than double of what im paying with rates etc in..i would have plenty of room , could put 2 beauty beds in , have a seprate spray tan room and a nail area which is really exciting.I would have to really market my buisness and promote it as much as possible so i can get new and exsisting customers to follow.
My only problem is with the salon beng upstairs it really puts me off...
but some ppl have said it wont affect it too much..but im a little undecided..but its a great new opportunity for me as i cant move any furthur forward where i am now...pleaseee help me and give me some advise :):):)

Does an upstairs salon put you off???

xxx
:)

Hi nailsbykayls

I have worked in a few salons that have either been upstairs or down stairs and it does not put customers off. The only thing is if you are a new salon you really have to push it any way you can, cause they can't see that you are there from just looking in the window. So you should ask for some window space so that people can see that you are there and also an A board outside can help. One salon I worked in we also carted for disabled people even though the salon was up stairs, by just screening off a section at the back of the salon and did a lady regular for facials. Also is there no way you could do nail in the hairdressers space or in the window so people can see you.
So in the short the answer to your question is no it would not put me off. Hope this helps and has given you some ideas.
Kirsty

"We put the treat in your treatment"

Ive had customers in that will say ahh i dont go that salon down the road cos of the stairs when u got ur shopping u cant be bothered to climb stairs or parents with pushchairs..im in 2 minds :confused:..i suppoe it wouldnt put alot of ppl off..lol..In this particular area im working ive been for 2 years nearly , so im still going to be in the area for my customers to come and follow me..ive got full window space upstairs..its weird cos you dont pass the hairdressers you go straight upstairs..ut the only way i can describe it is is like an old house lol , so even if i was at the window downstairs you wouldnt be able to see me cos there quite high..but upstairs MIGHT work..ive got a board already so il see about putting that there..im just going to have to put leaflets up everywhere, contact all my customers to let them know ive moved and hopefully il think to put a sign near the old one letting them know ive moved.:)
The new place is opposite the local civic centre council which will bring more buisness from there..altho some of my beauty clients work there already it will be easier for them..
i suppoe sometimes in life you have to take a big jump and take that risk to move on :)

Great idea about having the disabled downstairs...:)

why not have a look at your existing clients and work out how many would stop coming to you if it was up a flight of stairs, and see if it is then worth it.

also check with the hairdressers downstairs to see if you can place advertising.

I work near durham, and most salons in Durham are up at least one flight of stairs, sometimes 2!!!

Both my venues are up a flight of stairs. I have posters up in the rooms below and in the hallway, and I have a digital photo frame to show what the room looks like.

I have vinyl lettering on my windows also, but an A-board would be ideal.

hi huni mine was upstairs I only had to cater for a few clients who couldn't get upstairs due to age or disability so did waxing (facial only) downstairs and just did my manicures for them whilst they sat at the hair station.

I had posters everywhere in the salon on every wall space, reception area and hair stations and people still didn't notice them.
i recomend if the hair salon doesn't mind with every client who has their hair done at the till the hairdresser/receptionist just gives them a price list of yours and say 'there is a beauty therapist now upstairs this is her treatment menu'. or ask them if they would like to pop upstairs and have a nosey around lol.

good luck huni and post some pics when you're all sorted. xx

You know it made me think about the beauty salons in my town and most are upstairs. I think there is only one that is downstairs and to be honest it doesn't have that much of a good reputation so is not busy.
People will go where they get a good service. I am upstairs and it's never put my clients off. In fact they quite enjoy not being in a 'goldfish bowl'.
I've also noticed a few clients that have said 'oh wow isn't it lovely and clean'. God knows what they've been used to!
So, if you have a good service and a clean premises then i don't think clients care much about the stairs. I have 2 flights of 13 stairs and it doesn't put my clients off!
I have thought about putting a couple of chairs on the half landing though-lol

Latest posts

Back