No one believes in me

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tjo

Reaction score
I need to rant sorry.

My salon has been open 4 weeks and considering iv done no advertising it's been doing okay

My mum in her wisdom rather than being happy for me decides to inform me that she wants no link to the business, guessing she assumes it will fail.

My very good friend who in fairness has helped me to get open, is asking about my turn over and advising me that i need to be taking more, like i don't know what im doing

I feel like everyone is assuming im an idiot and don't know what im doing.

I have planned everything as best as I can, had a solicitor sort my contracts, have done business plan,know what each and every treatment cost in products, know how much i need to be taking per day to cover all my over heads, i worked in accounts for six years so am okay doing those.

It is really hard to believe in yourself when the people closest to you are waiting for you to fail.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using SalonGeek mobile app

Didn't want to read and run
Good luck with your new
Xxxx

If enough people make you feel that way it can be very convincing and difficult to overcome. You could be doing very well (and it sounds like you are) and still have all that horrible self doubt in your mind that other people are fuelling.

Easier said than done but I would urge you to spend less time with people who bring you down and invest energy in those who are more positive.

That's not nice, this is a time you need support from close ones!
I'd be hell bent proving them wrong, you sound like your doing ok so keep going :) good luck xx

That makes everything so much harder, but in my opinion you sound like your doing great! Don't give up on yourself, things worth fighting for don't come easy, you'll get there :) all the best xx

Everyone has doubts about themselves, it doesn't matter how long you've been in business! it's what keeps us striving to be better all the time and not get complacent. Use that doubt to fire up your determination to keep re-training and refreshing your skills. Good luck x

Have faith in yourself...if you don't no one else will!!

I've just opened my salon too but have great support from family and friends so feel for you nit having any but keep going and prove them wrong!!

Everyone is an 'expert' on business. Everyone has 'advice' to thrust in your face. I think it happens to everyone who actually finds the balls to start up by themselves.
They think they're being helpful.
Ignore. If they knew that much, they'd have started up their own salons. The truth is that 99.99% of people haven't got the first clue about opening and running a business. They just like to think that they do.

You sound pretty clued up, and bravo for actually having taken the plunge. Don't let the negative, envious people get you down. (And they ARE envious, believe me.)

Have faith in yourself and it really doesn't matter who else does (although it can be nice to have the support).

When I first showed my inlaws my new business sign on my car . . . . they laughed. They thought it was hilarious. Little ole me trying to pretend I have a business - well, look here you faithless wonders, I will SHOW you, I don't need your approval or support and your mocking me just makes me want to (apart from kicking you in the pants) do REALLY bloo9y well with this and make you eat your words

If that's not an incentive I don't know what is! Ten years down the line I still have my business which, yes, its part time (because thats how I want it) but I am busy and thriving and it is a success

and you know i think they were a teeny bit envious.

Don't take the things your family say to heart, no matter how much you love someone they also have a subconcious and an agenda and even if you're a blood relative success can hurt others as it can hold a mirror up to the failure or fear in their own lives when the see someone else living their dream.

I could have strangled my mother 100 times over by now, I have never had any family support in any of my professional undertakings and as much as a lack of interest smarts sometimes, I thank god I don't have to deal with their personal opinions on how to run my business.

If you are covering your overheads in your first months of trading, then you are doing extremely well. Unless someone has a proven track record in running a business take their advice with a pinch of salt, just make sure you know how your business lives and breathes and never, ever share financial information about your business with people who aren't 100% supportive, even if it's about to hit the fan always reply with an "it's fine thank you." Don't give people ammunition.

You know your business, don't let others bring you down. (Sorry, easier said than done, I know) x

thank you for your replies.

it does make me want to prove them wrong and I shall ;)

thank you for your replies.

it does make me want to prove them wrong and I shall ;)

Good for you, I wish you al the luck in the world :) 🍀xx

Just keep going. Prove em all wrong!:hug:

Im a bit like this as well and unfortunately I think Ive let the b*stards grind me down and I've lost my mojo. The other two partners in the business have no beauty experience, just accountancy and medical management and have no idea what its like, especially the lulls you get this time of year. Constantly at me about money etc.
Having said that... just opened my Decleor account yesterday which I personally funded, currently on training and giving myself a serious shot in the arm with confidence and much needed support from other people in the industry.

Hope you sock it to them and we both prove them all wrong! Biggest huglets!

Sarah xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I wish you the best of luck! Unfortunately family & friends in such circumstances as these actually act the opposite as they are 'supposed' to. The best advice I can give is to not seek their approval, then you won't be disappointed when they go 'I don't think it will work' or 'I got my nails done by so & so last week, they stay on longer than yours.' You might want to punch them in the face but fk them, it's your dream not theirs. You have your own business for frick sake you are better than them already! Can they say they are a business owner, probs not! Now tell them 'on yer bike!' x

Ignore them. When I set up my ex work colleagues thought it would never work, but I'm earning more now than I did with that job, been here 10 years now.

Don't worry, 3months ago my mum told me "you should let the HMRC know your business was a flop" WAS? I don't start something and then finish it after a few months just because I'm not up to my eyeballs in clients yet! Building a business takes time and effort. (I'm only doing it part time anyhow though) x

Become a successful business lady in spite of everyone's criticisms. It took 18 years for my father to finally say he was proud of what I've achieved with my business though I was doing well way before that.

You've taken the plunge so now ignore the doubters and go girl!

Don't worry, 3months ago my mum told me "you should let the HMRC know your business was a flop" WAS? I don't start something and then finish it after a few months just because I'm not up to my eyeballs in clients yet! Building a business takes time and effort. (I'm only doing it part time anyhow though) x

Oh my god that's awful :( what the F is wrong with some people!? This literally makes my blood boil, small businesses are the backbone of this country yet people on the dole who abuse the system get more support! I do think there's some amount of jealousy though, my mother would be the same if not worse.

I too have got angry and sad for those that receive no support- I did read once that it reflects their own beliefs about themselves. You have to build strong positive vibes about yourself and your goals and brush negative comments off - it is only their reflection about their own lack and has nothing to do with you. Seeing this has made me feel stronger in certain areas of my life. No one can shake you off course but you.

Latest posts

Back