No time for small talk??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tickle

Reaction score
I just wondered how everyone finds keeping the conversation going with clients whilst maintaining a strict time schedule. If like me you work in a busy salon with back-to-back appointments (often 1/2 hour manicures non-stop for 3+ hours at a time!), do you not find that when you engage in conversation beyond the usual 'holiday plans/weather etc.' it slows you down?

My colleagues always say they can hear me laughing with my clients and how it lifts the mood of the spa, which I suppose is a good thing. But I've found I'm loosing weight fast from the amount of lunch breaks I've run into - good for the waist line, but bad for my health I suppose.

I have noticed the difference when i am with a client that doesn't want to chat much...(there are some who just want to sit quietly and thats fine)....i get them done much quicker.

I have been making a conscious effort to not keep looking up when i am chatting....cos this does slow you down...i kept looking up cos i didn't want them to think i was rude, but i am sure they understand that i have to keep working or we would be there all day.

x

It's true! I find if a client takes a call on the mobile, I get my head down and really crack on. Thing is, my clients come to me not just for the nails but for the therapy talking freely gives so I have gone with it now and have the luxury of 2hr appointments (but would make no money if I was in a salon haha!) It's a difficult one to find a happy medium. But if you are not managing to get enough time to eat, you've got to be stricter for your health's sake. You are obviously a lovely person clients like to talk to! Good luck.

I definitely take so much longer when chatting. I sometimes look and think 'wow that seems to have took me ages' but cos Im mobile I just always leave 30mins between clients for travel & the unknown (extra nail replacent or phonecalls).

I would gladly not say a word but people want your opinion & advice and to be cheered up, which I dont mind but I dont charge extra for small talk!!

you have to learn to talk with your head down and your bum up ...... keep working while talking

I think alot of techs find it difficult to file and talk but I feel that its something you have to do if you dont want to run late!

Some clients will wanna chat for hours and others won't say a word.

I have learnt to use my own judgement as to whether they are the type of client who wants to hear all the latest goings on or they are just there to relax.

Also if they do want to have a good chat, I will try and work a bit faster and trying talking to their nail more!

I agree with Carl, you can still talk but you have to keep your head down. I do find this hard to do too, but it does make a differemce to timing when you do keep your head down. I too have clients who want to chat, but being mobile, i can afford to give them a little more time.

i am hopeless at this i always take longer than i am meant to , i did a spa pedi last night and ended up taking 1hr 35 mins :irked: but i suppose it wasnt too bad seeing as i had to unload the car and then put it all back in , i would be no good having back to back appointments coz i would always be running late , :lol: and i think my clients like it as a few of them are having bad times at the moment so i am like their shoulder to cry on , but find i seem to get through quicker with the clients who are problem free , :lol:

you have to learn to talk with your head down and your bum up ...... keep working while talking

This is gonna be at the forefront of my mind now!!! I am the worst for chatting but stopping workin at the same time!! I'll remember this from now on!!!!!!:lol:

I've had to learn to talk and work at the same time! It's not always easy, especially if someone is pouring out their heart to you. But our main priority has to be doing our job. That's what we're paid for. We are therapists, not counsellors!

I've had to learn to talk and work at the same time! It's not always easy, especially if someone is pouring out their heart to you. But our main priority has to be doing our job. That's what we're paid for. We are therapists, not counsellors!

I can recall a few clients that have left me lost for words with their stories of tragedy and woe.:sad:

Maybe there is a gap in the market for nail technicians to train as counsellors and offer a dual service? Not sure it would catch on though as it would probably be quite pricey!

Something I've found quite useful is, if a client does want to have a chat, try using open questions. Like:

What sort of products have you used in the past?

What sort of places do you like to go on holiday?

These sort of questions, I find, tend to turn in to conversations where the client is willing to talk for you. Therefore you are able to continue with your work.

Closed questions are the ones where there can be only two answers, YES or NO. This can prove to be a little difficult, as you are having to think of a further questions to carry the conversation, and results in you doing all the talking.

If I know the client well, I usually start off with "Anything interesting happen this week?" and woooaaah! off they go telling me all about, what happened at work, or with the kids etc.

Hope this makes sense. Because with practice IMO it really works!!!

I need to learn all the above, for some reason if my mouth is working my hand isnt lol

If I know the client well, I usually start off with "Anything interesting happen this week?" and woooaaah! off they go telling me all about, what happened at work, or with the kids etc.

Yeah I've had clients like that, sometimes (after about the 5th client in a row) my brain kind of switches off and I go into auto pilot i.e. just nod and laugh at the times that seem appropriate indicated by their tone of voice. :lol:

The only problem is when a question is suddenly directed at you when you haven't caught a word of it! :lol:

I have been referred on several of my assesments not because of poor quality but just on the time 10 or 20 mins over. One of the clients even complained to my tutor as she thought the treatment i gave was "outstanding" this is something I know I really have to work on. I do enjoy chatting while I work and for a woman i'm not a brill at multitasking, sorry ladies I do let the side down there.
Lisa
xxxx

I do chat with my clients if they seem to want to or I let them chatter away at me but I hardly ever look at them or I'd never get done. Every now and then I'll look up and give them eye contact for a second, just so's I don't look ignorant but that's it.

Sometimes I think I don't look up enough though 'cause I forget what they look like until the next appointment :o . I was never very good at remembering faces though :) .

I can recall a few clients that have left me lost for words with their stories of tragedy and woe.:sad:

Maybe there is a gap in the market for nail technicians to train as counsellors and offer a dual service? Not sure it would catch on though as it would probably be quite pricey!

Don't think I haven't thought about this already! It's amazing what some people will talk to you about in the privacy of a treatment room...:eek:

Sometimes I think I don't look up enough though 'cause I forget what they look like until the next appointment :o . I was never very good at remembering faces though :) .[/quote]

This made me laugh! I did a school beauty evening with manicures every 15mins and after the first 10, all I saw was a blur of hands. I couldn't have picked even one out of a line-up!!

Also re the conselling - that's exactly why I got into nails. The tech that did mine always made me feel so good about myself. A good chat and beautiful nails do wonders for a girl's confidence and I thought I would like to make people feel that good about themselves too (and hopefully I do!!)

Love Juliette

Latest posts

Back