Not A Nail Tech-please Comment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RITETIDY

Reaction score
Hiya. I Joined This Site About An Hour Ago. The Reason I Joined Is Because I Luv All Things Nails And Would Luv To Be Able To Replicate The Results I Have So Far Seen By All U Pros!! Unfortunately I Have Had A Msg Posted To Me Concerning Me Offending And Basically Pissing Off All Of You Who Have Spent Much Time And Money Perfecting This Art By Asking For Advice. If This Is The Case I Really Do Apologise And Will Withdraw Mymembership Immediately But I Honestly Didnt Realise This Site Was Only For Pros And Nail Virgins Like Myself Were Not Welcome!! I Would Really Appreciate And Value Ur Opinions And As I Said If The Majority Are Negative I Will Withdraw From The Site Asap.

Cheers

P.S I DO APPRECIATE THAT ALL PROS HAVE SPENT MANY HOURS OF DEDICATED STUDY AND MOST PROBABLY COUNTLESS £ .

I'm not sure about anyone eles ...having not been p***ed off by you but I extend my word and say welcome to the site and happy reading....we all have to start somewhere .....welcome......

RITETIDY said:
Hiya. I Joined This Site About An Hour Ago. The Reason I Joined Is Because I Luv All Things Nails And Would Luv To Be Able To Replicate The Results I Have So Far Seen By All U Pros!! Unfortunately I Have Had A Msg Posted To Me Concerning Me Offending And Basically Pissing Off All Of You Who Have Spent Much Time And Money Perfecting This Art By Asking For Advice. If This Is The Case I Really Do Apologise And Will Withdraw Mymembership Immediately But I Honestly Didnt Realise This Site Was Only For Pros And Nail Virgins Like Myself Were Not Welcome!! I Would Really Appreciate And Value Ur Opinions And As I Said If The Majority Are Negative I Will Withdraw From The Site Asap.

Cheers

P.S I DO APPRECIATE THAT ALL PROS HAVE SPENT MANY HOURS OF DEDICATED STUDY AND MOST PROBABLY COUNTLESS £ .
hi and welcome to the site.
A lot of people seem to think that 'doing' nails is easy, they buy a nail kit that's supposed to be professional and promises professionally finished nails but alas it isn't easy and the nails don't look professional when they're finished.
if you're applying enhancements to your self without any training then you have probably done untold damage to your nails by incorrectly blending tips, incorrect filing technique when rebalancing, shredding your natural nail plate etc etc.
those of us who have invested heavily in our training and education can take it the wrong way when hobbyists decide that they are going to try to reproduce the kind of nails that we do, and when you look at the amount of time and the costs involved it isn't really that surprising.
you're welcome here Donna but please don't expect floods of replies to any nail application queries that you might have, that would be no different than expecting your hairdresser to give you full instructions on how to do a professional colour using chemist bought products.

Hey there you...
We're a fun-loving bunch here...one great big family, (although we sisters disagree with one another quite a bit.):Love:

I started off doing nails on myself and my family members with no training and then decided to go to school for it because I loved it so much, so I know where you are coming from and as melissaq said, "we all have to start somewhere." Do you plan on taking some classes, hun? I encourage you to do so....you will reeeeeeeaaallly fall in love with nails, just as I did!:Love:

Hi Donna and welcome to the site.

I have just looked at your profile and see you are using the Rio kit, this is not a professional kit and so can we assume that you have no training or qualifications, if you do not have any, are you intending to get any, as if you are then fine, we will be happy to give you all the help and advice we can, but if you just intend to use your Rio lamp on the paying public then I for one would not want to give you advice as I have spent a lot of time and money on my training, which I would happily pass on to someone who intended to seek proper training and products.

welcome to the sight, if the education team can be of any help they would welcome your call.

absolutly fab! said:
welcome to the sight, if the education team can be of any help they would welcome your call, 0845 130 1511
it might help if you mention the company whose number you're giving out Caroline!

When my passion for dancing was big, I took lessons on how to do it properly without breaking a leg LOL.

I'd love to be able to drive so I am taken lessons so that I am not a liability to everyone else on the roads.

If I want to do anything properly, if taking lessons means that I will do it better and safer, that's what I'll do.

There is too much skill involved and too much to learn re health and safety or product chemistry to do nails safely and without causing damage.

If you are really passionate about nails, do what most of us have done, take some classes. We will then gladly help you with questions you have following the training. Otherwise I would be reluctant to assist you in causing damage to either yourself or members of the public.

I'd like to think that members of this site act with responsibility.

Hi Donna,

Welcome to the site. I started off in the same situation as you, doing my own nails with the rio kit. I was having real problems with it as I didn't really know what I was doing and managed to give myself sinus trouble and a wheezy chest every time I did my own nails (I never did anyone elses and I'm glad now cos all sorts of things can go wrong if you don't know what's what). I stumbled upon this site when I was looking for a solution to this allergy that I was having and I have to say it's the best thing that I ever did. Following all the advice I have been given and the tips and information I have taken in from this site, I now am saving up to do a course with a reputable company and have binned the rio kit and started with nsi... I'm looking forward to becoming a nail tech in the future (as long as the car stops going wrong and making me spend my training savings on it:wink2: )

If you are interested in becoming a tech then this is the best place for you to visit but I really wouldn't advocate using your kit on anyone, not even yourself without learning a bit about the problems that you can encounter. The kit doesn't come with any sort of decent instructions and you could be doing untold damage to your nails. I had no idea about proper prep or what oncholyosis(sp?) was or anything and this site really opened my eyes and made me want to learn to do it properly.

If you are interested in doing it properly, look into getting professionally trained.

I Would Like To Thank All Who Have Replied And Would Like To Inform Those Of U Who Have And Those Of U Who Will Reply That

1. I Have Never Used Rio Kit On Any1 But Me Nor Would I
2. I Fully Intend To Aquire Training When I Am Able 2 Do So
Financially And Also When The Wee Man Is A Bit Older!

Thants great Donna, then any advice we can give we will be be happy to re training.

Helbel030 said:
Hi Donna,

Welcome to the site. I started off in the same situation as you, doing my own nails with the rio kit. I was having real problems with it as I didn't really know what I was doing and managed to give myself sinus trouble and a wheezy chest every time I did my own nails (I never did anyone elses and I'm glad now cos all sorts of things can go wrong if you don't know what's what). I stumbled upon this site when I was looking for a solution to this allergy that I was having and I have to say it's the best thing that I ever did. Following all the advice I have been given and the tips and information I have taken in from this site, I now am saving up to do a course with a reputable company and have binned the rio kit and started with nsi... I'm looking forward to becoming a nail tech in the future (as long as the car stops going wrong and making me spend my training savings on it:wink2: )

If you are interested in becoming a tech then this is the best place for you to visit but I really wouldn't advocate using your kit on anyone, not even yourself without learning a bit about the problems that you can encounter. The kit doesn't come with any sort of decent instructions and you could be doing untold damage to your nails. I had no idea about proper prep or what oncholyosis(sp?) was or anything and this site really opened my eyes and made me want to learn to do it properly.

If you are interested in doing it properly, look into getting professionally trained.

NSI? WOULD I B ABLE TO PURCHASE PRO PRODUCTS OR ARE THEY ONLY FOR TRAINED PROS? COULD U ADVISE ON BEST PRODUCTS, WETHER GEL, FIBREGLASS OR ACRYLIC SYSTEM IS BEST AND WOT U NEED RE STARTER KIT? ALSO WHERE COULD I PURCHASE THESE PRODUCTS AT THE MOST ECONOMICAL PRICE?

Hi welcome to the site. You will find loads of info on here about training and some great articles and tutorials. Rio aren't a professional product and as a nail tech myself I don't like people without training or insurance being let loose on the public. We all have to start somewhere I know but PLEASE get rid of your rio kit and invest in some training with a reputable company. You may cause damage to your own nails whilst using it as well.
Good luck and hope you enjoy geeking with us all.

I thought you wanted to train properly why would you be looking for another product that doesnt offer training. also good training does not come cheap, if you do a search you will find lots of information re training with various companies.

RITETIDY said:
NSI? WOULD I B ABLE TO PURCHASE PRO PRODUCTS OR ARE THEY ONLY FOR TRAINED PROS? COULD U ADVISE ON BEST PRODUCTS, WETHER GEL, FIBREGLASS OR ACRYLIC SYSTEM IS BEST AND WOT U NEED RE STARTER KIT? ALSO WHERE COULD I PURCHASE THESE PRODUCTS AT THE MOST ECONOMICAL PRICE?

I did it the wrong way wrong in buying the stuff before getting the training and I wouldn't recommend it at all to be honest. There are plenty of threads on here with regard to the different systems. I don't think any are better than any other really, it depends on the tech's preference as to what they are happy using. Have a look round the site before you dive into buying kit. I bought lots of stuff and a lot of it is just sitting in a drawer looking sorry for itself waiting to be used! While I can do my own nails, I know my limitations and a lot of the things that nsi sell are beyond my grasp of knowledge at the moment. I'm not trying to put you off, just trying to help. Have a look at this thread - http://www.thenailgeek.com/articles/27430-answer-most-faq-training-should-i-choose.html and have a look in this forum http://www.thenailgeek.com/articles/. This way you should be able to make an informed choice about the training you want to do and who you want to do it with.

I use NSI as it's one of the only brands that doesn't mess with my chest and sinuses but there are a lot of other options too, most don't sell to you unless you are certificated...

I know everyone has to start somewhere but if I could do it again, I'd have trained before buying products. I'm not just saying that, you can do a hell of a lot of damage to your nails if you aren't sure what you are doing - take it from one who knows :o

Hi there

Welcome:wink2: ,
Below is a link to an Australian site, alot of techs in Australia aren't happy that this is available to the general public here......But the site contains detailed information[better than some]and should help you out a little until you deciede on your training path.
http://www.contours4nails.com.au/

We all started playing around with something when we first decieded to choose this path. I for one dont mind passing on and sharing information to any one who's interested. The more explained to people the more they realise there's alot more to this & responsability/countability go with it if you wish to pursue further.
Have fun & enjoy.....
HtH

XX J XX

Urban Geek said:
When my passion for dancing was big, I took lessons on how to do it properly without breaking a leg LOL.

I'd love to be able to drive so I am taken lessons so that I am not a liability to everyone else on the roads.

If I want to do anything properly, if taking lessons means that I will do it better and safer, that's what I'll do.

There is too much skill involved and too much to learn re health and safety or product chemistry to do nails safely and without causing damage.

If you are really passionate about nails, do what most of us have done, take some classes. We will then gladly help you with questions you have following the training. Otherwise I would be reluctant to assist you in causing damage to either yourself or members of the public.

I'd like to think that members of this site act with responsibility.

I'm with Chris on this one. Rio kits are the bain of my life, sorry!

hi donna and welcome to the site

i started off by buying a rio uv nail kit i thought the stuff they gave you was crap so i bought stuff from ebay unfortunately as others have said you do, do damage to your nails if you dont know what your doing............i did however do a course in glasgow and ive never looked back........actually looking to do more courses conversions and hopefully be as good as some on here.

if you can get into glasgow easily this is the number for millennium nails t/a Belle nails 0141 445 6868 her name is Carole and shes so nice. Good Luck and hope you love the nails thing enough to do the training.

angela

welcome to the site.. this site is made for pro's and those just looking.. stay a member and make your opinions known..

Latest posts

Back