Not happy with my lip waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zo Zo

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you can help :)
I have been waxing for about two and a half years and I am fairly happy about it, but I have one customer who I can't seem to get a good result on... :sad:
She is asian and has very soft, downy, not terribly long hair on her upper lip and whatever I do, I can never get if off with one strip, and even after going over the area 2 or 3 times :eek: , I still have to tweeze a few, and even then I always feel there are some left.
When she leaves I never feel I have done a good job :o
I have tried 3 or 4 different warm waxes, also strip sugar and in desperation, hot wax. I get her to stretch, I stretch, I press the strip very firmly, what am I doing wrong ???
She comes back regularly which indicates she's happy, but I am not happy, I want to give her a better treatment :irked:
Any ideas, anyone ?

It sounds like your doing everything right.

You could try removing each strip in 2 seperate pulls instead of 1.

Because the hair is so soft the wax may not be fully covering the hair so try and circle the wax when applying and stretch the skin when applying it. I imagine that its the odd patch getting left behind on the actual line of the lip.

I personally would be very wary of going over the lip area more than once with wax,it's a very sensitive area.I go down the centre,then each side but never go over the same area twice.

Are you applying the wax in the correct way(same way as hairgrowth),are you pressing firmly on the wax strip(to ensure wax has adhered fully to the hair)Are you thoroughly removing any make up or oils from the lip area?Are you making sure the are to be waxed is fully dry from pre-wax solution prior to waxing??

I'm sorry if these all seem like obvious questions but you will be surprised how many therapists dont apply a pre wax solution prior to waxing:eek:

Tweezering after waxing is not an issue,in fact it shows that you are thorough in your treatments.

The lip line can be an area where hairs(little blighters)stay strongly attached,just try putting wax a little closer to the line and this usually sorts this out,if not then tweezer away.

Getting the client to use her tongue will help stretch her skin,hope some of this helps and good luck,as said ,you must be doing ok or she wouldn't be coming back.:hug:

Thank you both for your replies. I think I have a fear that one day she will go somewhere else (like she'll be on holiday or something) and it will be better and then she'll think I'm rubbish :eek:
I do really worry about these things because I want to be really good at everything I do :lol:
And this might sound odd but even if I'm not someone's cup of tea (or they mine lol) I still want them to come back and appreciate that its because I do a good job
Anyway, I think I am doing everything you suggested Babs but you did give me an idea, that I might try using a tiny amount of talc (or equiv)
Something else that I didn't mention before is that she's young, so she is not your average lip wax client who has wiry bristles :)
Thanks again, if anyone else has any ideas that would be great!

i would agree with babs , i don't ever go over any area of the lip more than once.
if needed, i get the client to stretch their lip slightly over their teeth, then i use my middle and index finger to hold the area whilst applying the wax. one side then the other then the middle. helps with accuracy to have a really thin spatula, like the ones at costa coffee:wink2:
sometimes you get the odd hair that resists i don't thinks there's anything wrong in tweezing it out xx

Yeah I agree with the other posts, definitely wouldnt wax the same lip area more than once. If you use the wooden spatulas try snapping in half and that will give you a thinner tool to work with.

Sorry if you already do this.

Sounds like you doing everything right, I am the same about worrying about will clients return and have I done the best possible job I could do??!

But when clients return time after time, this must mean something!

Jacqui

Latest posts

Back