Noticing ridges in nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodipodi

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why you would start getting ridges from cuticle to tip in your nails if you never had them before-started noticing them over a few months , have noticed a change in my scalp also very dry area and mega itchy to the point it often bleeds-not sure if thats linked?? Just dont know why it would come when Ive never had ridges before?? x

Hi Jodi

Usually ridges are associated with psoriasis or just a minor illness... have you been ill recently?

No havnt been ill, but have suspected my under active thyroid playing up with other symptoms but everytime I go to the docs they tell me its 'normal'. My hairs been falling out too but they say theres nothing wrong.?? lol x

Ridges can also accompany alopecia areata.. so the hair thing and the ridges seem to be linked alright.

I'd get a second opinion if I was you... don't go getting all worried I'm sure it's nothing... I'd say it's due to stress!!:hug:

Had a feeling it might be linked...its not coming out in clumps thank goodness but I have noticed-good job my hairs so thick or Id be freezin lol! Trip to the docs methinks xx

Let us know how you get on:hug:

Hate going I always feel like a hypocondriac Im always there...and I always suspect the notorious thyroid, its a big pain in my @r~e!!

Hi Jodi,

I suffer with an under active thyroid too.

I also have more hair falling out than normal, which is related to the symptoms of under active thyroid.

I don't have ridges on my nails though, but I have noticed my skin has been very much drier and my excema has got much worse since suffering with my thyroid.

I understand how you feel about constantly going to the doctors, but you've got to keep on going and asking them.:hug:

My hair started falling out quite a lot a couple of months ago, and I went to the docs - was told it may be down to me starting the menopause ( I'm obviously older than you - judging by your avatar pic), not sure about that though. So I had it all cropped off short and I don't notice it so much.

Get back to the doctors and tell them all your new symptoms.

Have a look at this website...I'm sure you already know about it anyway though
http://www.btf-thyroid.org/

xxxxxx

If our eyes are 'the window to our soul' then our nails are 'the window to our health'.

The condition of your nails reflects the general condition of your health.

• Ridges can be a reflection of health problems
  • As a result of aggressive manicuring around the eponychium
  • injury

If our eyes are 'the window to our soul' then our nails are 'the window to our health'.

i like that...not heard it before!
x

Thanks everyone for replying, I usually just brush things off but Ive always had good skin hair and nails so its really noticable when it suddenly changes.
Bev I was a teenager when I started having thyroid problems and they didnt check on the blood test til years later after Id put on 3 stone, and Id practically cracked up from the sweating and depression that came with it- '' oh your too young to have thyroid problems-yeah right!'' they only really took note when my son was born as he was so big 10lb 8 ounces! I truly believe doctors dont know enough about this condition and if you fall between 'guidelines' then youre fine...when really its something that affects each of us so differently.xxx

Interesting!.. had a friend in today whose one thumb nail was full of ridges (cuticle area to free edge). She told me it developed while she was pregnant 9yrs ago and that the pregnancy was a difficult one. Anyone know why it has remained that way after all this time, as she leads a healthy lifestyle. Victoria :hug:

Interesting!.. had a friend in today whose one thumb nail was full of ridges (cuticle area to free edge). She told me it developed while she was pregnant 9yrs ago and that the pregnancy was a difficult one. Anyone know why it has remained that way after all this time, as she leads a healthy lifestyle. Victoria :hug:

If the matrix is damaged in any way, the result is permanent.

Thanks everyone for replying, I usually just brush things off but Ive always had good skin hair and nails so its really noticable when it suddenly changes.
Bev I was a teenager when I started having thyroid problems and they didnt check on the blood test til years later after Id put on 3 stone, and Id practically cracked up from the sweating and depression that came with it- '' oh your too young to have thyroid problems-yeah right!'' they only really took note when my son was born as he was so big 10lb 8 ounces! I truly believe doctors dont know enough about this condition and if you fall between 'guidelines' then youre fine...when really its something that affects each of us so differently.xxx

Now obviously I am NOT a doctor but in my own personal experience I would guess that it is almost definately connected to your hypothyroidism. There are lots of site that can give you a wealth of information about the various symptoms and how and why they can be constantly changing yet your gp will tell you that you are perfectly 'normal'!!:mad:

I gave up using the NHS for treating my thyroid over a year ago now and I went private and my health, weight and energy have changed dramatically.

Check out these sites and if you want any more details just pm me. :hug:

Uk | Stop The Thyroid Madness (This is my favourite site for real information)
Thyroid Patient Advocacy-UK: Building Thyroid Awareness

If the matrix is damaged in any way, the result is permanent.
Thanks Geeg, was thinking along those lines (excuse the pun!) If the matrix was not damaged, then the new nail growth would have gown through normally. Love the quote on nails being the windows to your health.. so true!:):hug:

Latest posts

Back