NSI Polish Pro or CND Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polish Pro is not just a thin color gel. It consists of solvents that can be found in some nail polish formulations. The MSDS is located on our company web site and anyone is welcome to have a look. Also, the President of NSI, Rick Slack, would be happy to speak with anyone who is unclear on this.

I've been using polish pro and never had any problems!

I've just received Polish Pro not too long ago, so I have only tried on myself. But no problems here either! And I'm in love with the brilliant shine the topcoat gives :Love: It also seems to work well with Konad! :green: I'm sooo going to need more colors.. and now with the new Accessories collection and all, well.. better start saving! :lol:

Anyway, having my first Polish Pro client Friday. Converting her from gel (nno) to Polish Pro french!

Last edited:
I know there is a lot of talk about how Polish Pro requires buffing of the natural nail, so techs are a bit scared to try it, I feel cause of this reason V's Shellac straight out advertising it requires no buffing.

I'm not one for doing things against the book per say, but I have to report that I did a set of Polish Pro on my sons girlfriend who is 18 and not overly careful with her nails but not heavy handed either.
I decided I would try it with OUT buffing the natural nail first and just do the usual prep of remove cuticle, dehydrate nail, then base coat etc etc.

I am happy to report that 15 days later she came over last night and I checked on how things were going and apart from the re-growth, I'm happy to say they are perfect:) No chipping, no peeling, no nothing apart from re-growth.

Now, I know NSI do promote a buff first but I just thought I would trial it this way cause this seems to be one of the things that is turning people off trying Polish Pro and to be honest, it sort worries me too, so that is why I tried it without the buff.

Of course I would trial it with using it this way on many sets before ever offering to a client with out doing the buff but for me, it worked fine.

It is up to the individual. I have been looking into in and decided to go with Shellac. Pro polish have got an offer on at the moment so works out cheaper than Shellac. Shellac are the first hybrid colour, 5 years in the making all the others have jumped in, also I had readed another thread about people using NSI pro polish and having products with it, mainlydownto the brushes and NSI are changing the brushes. I just thought that if I then had to change to Shellac it'll cost me more again and not a good start to get client's interested. I'd rather use the best to start with save money and save all the problems.

I bought the shellac rackB in the week had some test runs and I love the colours and also you can layer other colours to make other colours, if that makes sense, one coat of one coat and add another colour on top.

Just wanna say a massive thanks to everyone for your advice. It really has helped and I think I'm going to go with ..................... Shellac. :D

After all ur comments and research I can see how popular shellac is and I think in time shellac will pay for itself.

I do however have one final question.... I am going to the Scottish beauty show tomorrow, will I be able to purchase all my shellac products and CND lamp from there or will I be cheaper getting them from sweet squared??

Thanks again x x

Just wanna say a massive thanks to everyone for your advice. It really has helped and I think I'm going to go with ..................... Shellac. :D

After all ur comments and research I can see how popular shellac is and I think in time shellac will pay for itself.

I do however have one final question.... I am going to the Scottish beauty show tomorrow, will I be able to purchase all my shellac products and CND lamp from there or will I be cheaper getting them from sweet squared??

Thanks again x x

If you are going to Scottish Beauty tomorow, why don't you get trial nails done of each system so that you can test them out for yourself? You can watch the application, look at colours etc. and after two weeks and removal on your own nails you can make an educated decision on which system you think is best.

After looking at polish pro and cnd shellac....the advertising sheets for both list the same number of services from each bottle. Even though polish pro is twice the size, both companies say a bottle does 20 applications? I think I have this right and am not poorly informed...but open to correction:):o

After looking at polish pro and cnd shellac....the advertising sheets for both list the same number of services from each bottle. Even though polish pro is twice the size, both companies say a bottle does 20 applications? I think I have this right and am not poorly informed...but open to correction:):o

No, there's more services per bottle for Polish Pro.

But that doesn't mean it's a superior product. It's not.

Polish Pro is not just a thin color gel. It consists of solvents that can be found in some nail polish formulations. The MSDS is located on our company web site and anyone is welcome to have a look. Also, the President of NSI, Rick Slack, would be happy to speak with anyone who is unclear on this.

Hi jlburkhardt
If polish pro is not a thin colour gel could u pls clear up any confusion and tell us what it is please?

Last edited:
Hi jlburkhardt
If polish pro is not a thin colour gel could u pls clear up any confusion and tell us what it is please?

We call it light-cured nail polish. It is a mixture of oligomers (gels), solvents (like those found in nail polish), among other things, like photoinitiators (so it can cure in a UV lamp). Hope that clears things up.

Also, regarding the services per container....You may be comparing Base/Top Coat of one company to colors of another. There are 40 services per container for Polish Pro Base/Top Coat and 20 for the colors.

We call it light-cured nail polish. It is a mixture of oligomers (gels), solvents (like those found in nail polish), among other things, like photoinitiators (so it can cure in a UV lamp). Hope that clears things up.

Also, regarding the services per container....You may be comparing Base/Top Coat of one company to colors of another. There are 40 services per container for Polish Pro Base/Top Coat and 20 for the colors.

Thank you for that.
Can u use it without buffing the nail?
Mix glitters into it?
Mix colours?

Last edited:
Thank you for that.
Can u use it without buffing the nail?

MissJodyLee,

We recommend a light buffing with our 180/240 grit buffer for the best results with Polish Pro. If you are interested, our step-by-step instructions are available on our web site.

Thanks.
One last qu to everyone. ..
What exactly is a hybrid polish?

Last edited:
The reason I'm asking is I haven't decided whether or not to use shellac.
I use YN for everything else so as a polish system (whether it be a gel polish or shellac), I'm tossing up between gelish, mani q, pro polish or shellac.
With all these systems I can tell the client what it is ie: gel polish etc but how to explain what a hybrid polish is? a polish that doesn't chip for 14 days with a high shine? That's what the gel polishes do too. ..

The reason I'm asking is I haven't decided whether or not to use shellac.
I use YN for everything else so as a polish system (whether it be a gel polish or shellac), I'm tossing up between gelish, mani q, pro polish or shellac.
With all these systems I can tell the client what it is ie: gel polish etc but how to explain what a hybrid polish is? a polish that doesn't chip for 14 days with a high shine? That's what the gel polishes do too. ..

It's not a thinned down consistency gel. It doesn't require buffing of the natural nail plate prior to application, and can move with the nail better than a gel. I could never imagine anyone regretting Shellac, and I literally almost do nothing else in my salon.

And I also wanted to mention that I tried both Polish Pro and Shellac, and PP acted much more like a gel than Shellac did. That's not really my opinion, that's how it acted. I'm not a newbie, so I know how it works. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but Shellac is Patented for a reason.

Last edited:
I literally almost do nothing else in my salon.

Wow. That's huge.
Thanks.

I haven't seen the shellac colours, not all of them anyway but saw the gelish colors and they are just gorgeous.
I've seen a couple of shellac's pinks and the are gorgeous too.

Wow. That's huge.
Thanks.

I haven't seen the shellac colours, not all of them anyway but saw the gelish colors and they are just gorgeous.
I've seen a couple of shellac's pinks and the are gorgeous too.

Yep. I spent thousands on a my skincare line. And all anyone wants is Shellac lol they ask for it by name, and they ONLY want shellac.

Yep. I spent thousands on a my skincare line. And all anyone wants is Shellac lol they ask for it by name, and they ONLY want shellac.

Oh no. Poor thing about ur skincare!!

Hi Everyone,

New to Salon Geek, but really need your help please.

For weeks I've been researching CND shellac & Nsi Polish Pro Polishes to introduce to my clients but I'm not sure which i should invest in.
I'm looking for someone who has used both and to say truthfully what they prefer. Or has anyone used Polish Pro recently since the brush has changed and don't like it!!!

I am Nsi trained, so I have Nsi UV lamp....it would be a cheaper investment to buy Polish Pro but haven't heard of alot of people using these Polishes.
I have heard non stop brilliant reports on shellac but would have to invest in the CND lamp, which is a costly decision as i'm only mobile and do nails part-time.

I don't wanna buy CND Shellac if Nsi Polish Pro is as good.

I really appreciate all your help and advice

Thanks x
Hi there, I have both the systems, and both are good! at the moment I have polish pro on and I can't fault it! the prep is nearly the same except PolishPro say to buff the nails which I didn't do because I am used to CND Shellac prep and it has stayed on! so its worth trying.

Latest posts

Back