NSI's "New Technique"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrincessNails

Reaction score
Hi. Discussing with a lady who is currently doing an evening L&P course locally as an official NSI course...watching her practice the other day and she adhered the tip to the nail and left the length, then built the L&P half way down tip and only after all 10 are done does she use tip cutters to take the length down?! I explained this was most definitely not making sense as a good way of working (for various reasons) and I asked if she was possibly mistaken. She then phoned the educator and she was told in front of me that it's correct and it's "NSI's New Technique"?!?!?!?! I phoned NSI direct and they sheepishly advised it was their "previous way of teaching and they don't teach this way any longer but it's a good way for new techs to learn"?!?!?!

NSI taught this 10 years ago, I still don't get it as it seems like a waste of product to me, applying it then cutting it off :confused:

That's my exact thoughts?!? Surely the point of education when it comes to L&P is the CREATION of a good structure etc?!

That's my exact thoughts?!? Surely the point of education when it comes to L&P is the CREATION of a good structure etc?!

It is also very silly as it causes micro-shattering of the product which leads to service breakdown. Glad they stopped teaching it as it makes no sense on any level.

I can not see the sense in this application technique either.

However, I can understand if the tips were all cut to length but not shaped before application of L & P and then filed into shape after product is applied.
I have seen this done and although I haven't worked that way or tried it, I can see where a tech could save some time in over filing cause your being overly fussy with trying to get shapes consistent etc.
I think as long as you clip the tip down and get a general shape before applying the product, then this might be a time saver maybe but definitely not if the product is applied to the entire tip first and then it's filed/clipped down/
As Geeg said, the micro cracks would cause service breakdown and we all know what damage happens if we clip off a tip that needs color changing when it has L & P applied?!?!? it can sometimes cause big cracks as well as small ones and this to me, is just not worth the risk.

Actually one place I have seen this done where the shape is filed in after product application is on Carl's YT (Nailzoo) channel but it's one of older videos.

It is also very silly as it causes micro-shattering of the product which leads to service breakdown. Glad they stopped teaching it as it makes no sense on any level.

This is my exact thought Geeg..."they" haven't stopped teaching it as the lady currently in training who I was speaking to and discovered this from IS being taught this way then NSI confirmed on phone to me that it's still OK to do this as their poly flex elation tips are superior quality?! I wasn't worried about the tip cracking/splitting its the L&P I'm thinking of an she said no it doesn't, not at all?!?!

Seriously Huh I have no words - and that's a first! Just seems such a waste of time, product and wouldn't it be much more difficult to clip the end off when overlaid with acrylic?? especially if it is set! wouldn't it damage your clippers or gunk them up if i was still soft... huh

I've just completed my nsi evening course at hillington on Monday and we definitely weren't shown to do this. The only time the tips were left long (on one nail) was so we could practice smile lines but the rest of the time we did tip & overlay we cut & blended the tips xx

Look, maybe this educator is still teaching what she was taught 10 years ago . Who knows. Time moves on and we learn more ... Some do not move on with the times. Stuck in a time warp. It happens.

Look, maybe this educator is still teaching what she was taught 10 years ago . Who knows. Time moves on and we learn more ... Some do not move on with the times. Stuck in a time warp. It happens.

Ummm...the educators 17 years old lol

I'm not clairvoyant. 17 and you say this is an official nsi class, with a 17 year old educator! Please!

I'm not clairvoyant. 17 and you say this is an official nsi class, with a 17 year old educator! Please!

I know scary huh?!

I once taught a 16 year old who was absolutely brilliant at picking up the skill and the whole concept of structure etc, but no way would she have had the ability to teach, the credibility to have been taken seriously nor the experience to provide any depth.

To build a money-making business out of nails, takes one hell of allot more than the DOING of good nails. I've seen hundreds of good nail technicians fail miserably at making a viable business as they lacked so many of the other attributes and skills needed ... So sad when with say a business class or similar, one could learn.

Hmm i dont think id be happy if i were on her course, thats crazy!x

I agree, my only problem would be her lack of experience. She may produce beautiful nails BUT really at 17 how many times could she have come across certain things to experience and pass on her knowledge of?

I agree, my only problem would be her lack of experience. She may produce beautiful nails BUT really at 17 how many times could she have come across certain things to experience and pass on her knowledge of?
A few courses i have done girls have had attitude, example not wanting there nails practiced on as "they are going out at the weekend" even refusing to do it, and this by the way was on a nail course!:eek:
So if she were teaching that class she would not have a hope in hells chance of getting them girls to do it. The tutor who was in her 30's and didnt take no cr*p only just got them to do as she asked. She may be fab at what she dose but in my experience on a few courses i have done she would not of got the respect an older person would of, right or wrong but thats what i think.
xx

Gigi is 100% right as usual

Clipping enhancement product like this will micro shatter and destroy the durability of the enhancement

'New' or 'old' this technique is completely wrong and should not be followed

Latest posts

Back