Odd waxing mishap

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashleybstarr

Reaction score
Heres a question for you seasoned waxers.
recently I started working at a Spa I LOVE! Im so pleased to be back in the business. Everything has been going great. Facials, pedicures, manis, and all forms of waxing. Its all come back to me even after 4 years out of the business. Anyway so today I am waxing a lovely woman who just happens to be very hairy. A bikini and a full leg. No proublem,old hat...or so I thought.
Though the hair was a little on the long side in the bikini area most of it waxed off fine until I got to this one spot. The wax came off the strip, stuck to the hair and wouldnt budge. I tried another strip with no wax, a strip with less wax and nothing worked. I ended up having to snip it off! I would have assumed this was due to the hair being too long except for the fact that all the rest of the hair in that area come off fine. Also all the rest of her leg hair came off fine except for when it came to her big toe and top of the foot hair. This was not overly long and yet still , wax stayed on the skin in this area and wouldnt budge.
What have I done wrong. I preped the skin as I always do. The rest of the wax went well.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

AshleyB

I normally find that this happens for 2 reason

She was maybe cold in the area you were applying wax too (usually feet) and it cooled the wax making it non pliable, so it wouldn't stick to the strip.

or

You didn't put the wax on with the hair growth and pull against, in areas such as bikini line especially if it's a bit longer it can be hard to see the true direction on growth.

If it happens try and use a fresh strip and really rub it with your hand to heat it up then pull it off like theres no tomorrow while stretching skin tight obviously.

HTH

i also find it can happen if the client has very dry skin or if they dont exfoliate. a bit of oil beforehand works a treat!!

as for the bikini, it could be that you didnt apply your wax 'firmly' enough. for instance, if the hair was very long, you need to make sure your getting the wax through the top layer of hair, and right through. does this make sense?
its no good just tickling the area with the wax, because it wont come clean off. Give it a good firm press down with the strip, then hold the skin taught and pull parallel against growth.

I would recommend you trim the hair if you know it's on the long side. I had this with an underarm recently, I knew I should have trimmed, but I was rushing, and I regretted it because it tugged and didn't come out and I looked silly :(

Next time I will trim! Tbh the hairs were also exceptionally strong, but still, a lesson learnt.

I had this too the other day with a lady's big toe and it was down to her feet being really dry. The wax stuck so I pulled in the opposite direction which takes the majority of the wax off but not the hairs and went over it again with fresh wax and they came out fine although I think I pulled a muscle with the power I used pulling the strip :lol::lol::lol:

Thank you so much for all the reply to my waxing mishap.
Funny none of the girls at the Spa log on here or any other place and I think they are missing out! I will tell them what I have read and keep it in my (Just in Case) book.
Thanks again everyone.

Ashleyb

May have used strip too many times and got wax build up?

There are 2 things that tend to be the cause of this problem. The first is the temperature of the room or the client. If they are cold, this will cause this. Second is how dry their skin is. If they have really dry skin this can also happen.

In both cases.... applying oil to the skin prior to waxing will help.

I would recommend you trim the hair if you know it's on the long side. I had this with an underarm recently, I knew I should have trimmed, but I was rushing, and I regretted it because it tugged and didn't come out and I looked silly :(

Next time I will trim! Tbh the hairs were also exceptionally strong, but still, a lesson learnt.
Yep i agree get your scissors out !! and rub the strip a few more times so it warms it a little !!

Latest posts

Back