Oh my lord, so mad!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaylieNails

Reaction score
I've been doing nails just over a year and I'm pretty successful already (75% of a week fully booked up and getting my self a good reputation). However, there's a particular 2 local nail technicians who I'm getting annoyed with.

Number 1.
The story first started when a new client booked in for full set etc and during treatment we was making chit chat and she told me get friend is a nail tech and she's quite known locally , and I naturally asked howcome she wasn't doing her nails I assumed she was busy/away or somethin and she bluntly said that her nails are boring and what I do is more to her taste. So I thought fair ebough, she came back a few times and the last few times she said other nail lady was making it awkward to come to me and being off with her etc. She eventually went back for an easy life which wasn't much skin off my nose, until recently I've come across her nails f facebook and seen her putting sly digs ( on photos of the mutual clients nails done by her ) to/about Me which not only do I find childish but quite frankly unprofessional. This has actually seriously annoyed me as its not within my character to.act like that do I don't expect anyone else to. What if she's been.slagging me off to people etc ? What would you do? or have you had anything like this? I just don't get what t he problem is she should concentrate on improving her work rather than being a massive bitch.

Number 2.
Well this lady is just blatantly copying my designs, it was brought to my attention by a couple of clients they brought photos in etc.
Now I know there's not much I can do.about this but how annoying?!?!!???

They have both been in the industry 10x aslong as me so why are they acting threatened ?has anyone else had any experiences like this if so what did you do

Please help its driving me insane , constantly frustrated by childish people in the industry
Thanks in advance xxxxx

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've been doing nails just over a year and I'm pretty successful already (75% of a week fully booked up and getting my self a good reputation). However, there's a particular 2 local nail technicians who I'm getting annoyed with.

Number 1.
The story first started when a new client booked in for full set etc and during treatment we was making chit chat and she told me get friend is a nail tech and she's quite known locally , and I naturally asked howcome she wasn't doing her nails I assumed she was busy/away or somethin and she bluntly said that her nails are boring and what I do is more to her taste. So I thought fair ebough, she came back a few times and the last few times she said other nail lady was making it awkward to come to me and being off with her etc. She eventually went back for an easy life which wasn't much skin off my nose, until recently I've come across her nails f facebook and seen her putting sly digs ( on photos of the mutual clients nails done by her ) to/about Me which not only do I find childish but quite frankly unprofessional. This has actually seriously annoyed me as its not within my character to.act like that do I don't expect anyone else to. What if she's been.slagging me off to people etc ? What would you do? or have you had anything like this? I just don't get what t he problem is she should concentrate on improving her work rather than being a massive bitch.

Number 2.
Well this lady is just blatantly copying my designs, it was brought to my attention by a couple of clients they brought photos in etc.
Now I know there's not much I can do.about this but how annoying?!?!!???

They have both been in the industry 10x aslong as me so why are they acting threatened ?has anyone else had any experiences like this if so what did you do

Please help its driving me insane , constantly frustrated by childish people in the industry
Thanks in advance xxxxx

Kayleigh you are better than this - the only way to deal with it is to IGNORE it completely and let it slide off like water from a ducks back!!! IGNORE!!! Jealousy is all this is!!!

I would just ignore it! I know it's hard to see, but people normally have the sense to make their own minds up about nail techs as many of them sadly don't support each other..
Alot of my clients come to me with an idea or a photo of what they would like..I'm not to know where they getthese pics from but only the other day did I find a local tech had the same design posted, and it was posted months before!
I hope she doesn't see mine and think that I have copied her..

Kayleigh you are better than this - the only way to deal with it is to IGNORE it completely and let it slide off like water from a ducks back!!! IGNORE!!! Jealousy is all this is!!!

Really trying but everytime I forget about it there's something else argh xxx

I would just ignore it! I know it's hard to see, but people normally have the sense to make their own minds up about nail techs as many of them sadly don't support each other..
Alot of my clients come to me with an idea or a photo of what they would like..I'm not to know where they getthese pics from but only the other day did I find a local tech had the same design posted, and it was posted months before!
I hope she doesn't see mine and think that I have copied her..

Yeah I see what your saying about the pic thing but she also copies my offers. Etc. Soo annoying. And yeah I'm starting to learn that , around here there all out for them.selves wereas me if I can't fit someone in ill recommend another nail tech xx xx

Just rise above darling. I'm always getting clients telling me about local teks trying to imitate me. However, imitation is never substitute for the real thing. Let them copy you, let them be threatened by you, knowing all along that you are that good they want to be you. Your positive attitude will be picked up by your clients and that is better than any competitive advertising xxxxx

'Doing nails' is not all about the nails, half of my clients come for a good old gossip and a laugh as well, don't let it get you down, if you build good relationships with your clients, they will stay with you.

Quite a lot of my designs pop up in other places on facebook usually the day after I post a pic but what can you do, we all look somewhere for inspiration and I've used pinterest and google images plenty for ideas. I never put offers on, I just keep my prices reasonable and run an offer for nails and toes when done together all year round, it keeps things simple and people know not to hold out for an offer price before they book with me. When I get people telling me that they can get it cheaper elsewhere I just thank them for getting in touch and hope their happy with the service they get elsewhere.

We work in a super competitive industry but sometimes just ignoring what others are doing and concentrating on yourself if the best thing you can do. I've never returned to a therapist or hair dresser that slates the competition.

Keep doing what you're doing...oh and block her on facebook :D x

It's sad to hear, i would be gutted if this happened to me and I would dwell on it, however I would try and ignore it, they are feeling threatened by you, if you don't want to see it block them, I love blocking on Facebook lol, also if people like your work they come back, people won't listen to them bit**ing. Head up and keep going on :)

Although I've only been qualified 2 and a half years I think my nails are if a high standard no lifting breakages unhappy customers ect but u no what the first thing people comment in is that I'm so friendly and easy to talk to I will always find something to chat about and I'm good at remembering people like there kids names ect so when they come in I say how did Charlie get on his first day of school and you know what a bit of care and attention goes a long way make your client feel special and give them a great experience and fab nails and they will always come back to you

Thankyou all a lot you have seriously lifted my spirits ! I usually just have an f*you attitude but I suppose it wears thin after so much lol. Yeah Ill have to just get over it and take it as a complement , yeah that's what my clients say about me not only good nails but a good gossip and they don't feel like I'm judging them like thrt do in a lot of places (which I find outrageous). Hopefully they will get seen for what they are and me haha xxxxxx thanks again geeks xxxxxxxxx

I agree with everything above and would like to add something!

Problem 1 should be ignored. Its best to rise above it all and channel your energy i to something more positive.

Provlem 2 i would say can be easily sorted by watermarking your pics and adding a bit saying copyright belongs to u. This would solve other people passing your work off as theres and (hopefully) alert those types of therapists that your on to them.

Good luck

Z

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree with everything above and would like to add something!

Problem 1 should be ignored. Its best to rise above it all and channel your energy i to something more positive.

Provlem 2 i would say can be easily sorted by watermarking your pics and adding a bit saying copyright belongs to u. This would solve other people passing your work off as theres and (hopefully) alert those types of therapists that your on to them.

Good luck

Z

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

That's a great idea hun thankyou ill try that xx xxx

I have had something similar happen to me. Apart from feeling rubbish about it and yourself. The only way to deal with it is BLOCK HER! X

I'm in the same area as you and have the same problem - small town and too many people into each other's business.

I have many clients who go all over the place, they may love my nails and me but they also love seeing other techs and their nails, fine no problem - I really don't mind and I don't see why other people can't treat it the same.

The only time I have/would have an issue is with clients who are actually good friends - I have about 4 girls who are like this and they get a 20% discount I work my arse off to fit them in and work hours that I wouldn't necessarily work for any 'normal client' and I have also let them pay as and when they can at times. If for whatever reason they go somewhere else that's fine, no problem but they can't expect to come back and get the same treatment without understanding that as well as being a nail tech we have friendships and feelings... so that may not be the case in what you've said but you did mention that the client did say 'friend' and clients do tend to miss out the full story from time to time - I'd hate for another nail tech to think I was being bitchy if and when a friend discussed my upset about them when in actual fact I couldn't care less apart from those 4 girls.. the only time I'm bitchy about other techs is when I warn people away from the likes of the NSS place... eww :D

As for taking ideas, I think that's all part of the industry & fashion.. we've all copied someone's Rockstars because that's what's 'in', now the fashion is the 'fade' it's just one of those things, I'd take it as a compliment tbh - with the likes of Facebook is does often happen that clients see other techs nails and point blank want the same set, it's embarrassing to copy but unfortunately we have to do our jobs :/

I'm in the same area as you and have the same problem - small town and too many people into each other's business.

I have many clients who go all over the place, they may love my nails and me but they also love seeing other techs and their nails, fine no problem - I really don't mind and I don't see why other people can't treat it the same.

The only time I have/would have an issue is with clients who are actually good friends - I have about 4 girls who are like this and they get a 20% discount I work my arse off to fit them in and work hours that I wouldn't necessarily work for any 'normal client' and I have also let them pay as and when they can at times. If for whatever reason they go somewhere else that's fine, no problem but they can't expect to come back and get the same treatment without understanding that as well as being a nail tech we have friendships and feelings... so that may not be the case in what you've said but you did mention that the client did say 'friend' and clients do tend to miss out the full story from time to time - I'd hate for another nail tech to think I was being bitchy if and when a friend discussed my upset about them when in actual fact I couldn't care less apart from those 4 girls.. the only time I'm bitchy about other techs is when I warn people away from the likes of the NSS place... eww :D

As for taking ideas, I think that's all part of the industry & fashion.. we've all copied someone's Rockstars because that's what's 'in', now the fashion is the 'fade' it's just one of those things, I'd take it as a compliment tbh - with the likes of Facebook is does often happen that clients see other techs nails and point blank want the same set, it's embarrassing to copy but unfortunately we have to do our jobs :/

Could not agree more , I'm glad your not like thts because I'm sure you know there's plenty round here that is ! And yeah I have that too Emily not them going elsewhere but taking the actual p*ss not paying then n there but 2 week later etc. Suppose where all abit of a sucka for that ! And as for the NSS place .. we need to give clients a reason not to go there etc being f fully professional , clean and creative and zero bitchin about.anywhere else as its the most unprofessional thing we could possibly do (in my eyes) I do have to bite my tounge when someone has been to that particular place and they come to me with there nail plates hanging off though argh

Take it as a compliment. Even with all their years experience they look to you for inspiration x

Sent from my GT-S5839i using SalonGeek mobile app

Could not agree more , I'm glad your not like thts because I'm sure you know there's plenty round here that is ! And yeah I have that too Emily not them going elsewhere but taking the actual p*ss not paying then n there but 2 week later etc. Suppose where all abit of a sucka for that ! And as for the NSS place .. we need to give clients a reason not to go there etc being f fully professional , clean and creative and zero bitchin about.anywhere else as its the most unprofessional thing we could possibly do (in my eyes) I do have to bite my tounge when someone has been to that particular place and they come to me with there nail plates hanging off though argh

Yeah there certainly is.. There's loadsa salons round here and it's a hard enough industry to build business without bitchiness - I get it with other techs saying my prices are too high but until the day I've no one sat at my desk each week they stay as they are! People need to keep their opinions to themselves...

I've got someone wanting me to speak about the NSS in a magazine article but dunno what the hell I'd say lol.. no doubt be back on here asking for advice!

Ignore other people chick I'm sure you do well enough yourself and people can copy designs all they life but they won't be you or your actual nails x

Yeah there certainly is.. There's loadsa salons round here and it's a hard enough industry to build business without bitchiness - I get it with other techs saying my prices are too high but until the day I've no one sat at my desk each week they stay as they are! People need to keep their opinions to themselves...

I've got someone wanting me to speak about the NSS in a magazine article but dunno what the hell I'd say lol.. no doubt be back on here asking for advice!

Ignore other people chick I'm sure you do well enough yourself and people can copy designs all they life but they won't be you or your actual nails x

Precisely!! If people pay for your nails no matter how high low good or bad what can anyone actually do/say. Obviously your doing somethin right ! And omg really what magazine is it that's fab!! Im quite clued up about it me or I like to think I am Lmfao. Add Doug schoon on fb he puts some informative status' about the chemical structure etc of nails very helpful xxl

Precisely!! If people pay for your nails no matter how high low good or bad what can anyone actually do/say. Obviously your doing somethin right ! And omg really what magazine is it that's fab!! Im quite clued up about it me or I like to think I am Lmfao. Add Doug schoon on fb he puts some informative status' about the chemical structure etc of nails very helpful xxl

I've got him on already - I love reading all about it :)

I'm not sure what it is, I'm waiting for the guy to get in touch about it but he's a solicitor who does campaigning about beauty & hair products on the market that they want to get rid of. My friend does legal work and she's passed my name onto him, she says he's well known for it but didn't say the name, once I have more idea i'll get back to you xx

I've got him on already - I love reading all about it :)

I'm not sure what it is, I'm waiting for the guy to get in touch about it but he's a solicitor who does campaigning about beauty & hair products on the market that they want to get rid of. My friend does legal work and she's passed my name onto him, she says he's well known for it but didn't say the name, once I have more idea i'll get back to you xx

Hes ace! And that's greattt could be your big break , you could start charging £100 per set due to fame haha . Do deffo post about it when you know more though sounds amaze xx

Latest posts

Back