oily skin

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracyab

Reaction score
Hi

Over the past couple of months I have been suffering from really oily skin. I have always had normal skin apart from maybe around the T Zone.

I wear make up and bought clinque oil free foundation (I usually wear Elizabeth Arden) but found this wasn't helping. I cleanse and tone my face everyday but nothing helps.

Does anyone have any advise on what I could use to try and help this? It's that bad that my fringe is starting to look greasy because of my forehead.

:cry: PLEASE HELP

Do you use moisturiser to ? I have oily skin and use Decleor products which have kept it in check until now so might be time to change.

What skin care products are you using hun?

I changed my skincare products which resulted in oily skin with quite open pores. When I went and had my eyebrows waxed I told the beauty therapist I suffer with sensitive, dry skin which she then argued was oily not sensitive. This resulted in me finding out I was using the wrong product for me and I have changed back to my normal brand instead of being taken in by advertising. It may be as simple as changing your products.:)

witch hazel is good for oily skin - try that flower

I would suggest having a galvanic direct high frequency facial,this will help dry out an oily skin.Watching what you eat along with a a good skin care regime.HTH

I suffer from oily skin and use an oil free moisturiser - clinique hydra matte I think. Also, I have found it has improved since I stopped wearing liquid foundations. I use Jane Iredale pressed powder for oily skin and it is so much better than the liquids - easier to apply and gives good coverage. Its quite expensive but it does last for ages.

Visit a salon and ask their advise I could reccomend products but they may not be available near you so just ask a professional near you, you need to get a product that rebalances rather than strips the oil. Clinique is not the best for oily skin it either strips it or clogs it (in my opinion). Try Almay skin stays clear foundation as an alternative.

As for skin care (not cosmetics) Clinique is not a salon standard product (not sure if you use their skin care). Use salon standard and get salon results.

As Jellybelly found out skin with open pores and oil can never be dry. If you have flaking and tightness with this skin it is DEHYDRATED not DRY so adding oily moisturisers will make it worse- this demonstrates how a skin care professional can help. People with oily skin should never feel it is tight after cleansing, this means you have stripped the skin too much and this will only make it dehydrated (tight and flakey) building up more dead skin cells and congestion and encouraging the skin to produce more oil to replenish what has ben lost. You need certain oils to remain on the skin in the hydrolipidic film which protects the skin from infection.

To sum up if you were ill you'd go to the doctor, if you had an extreme skin disease/disorder you'd go to a dermatologist so for a skin imbalance visit a beauty therapist in a salon and they will help you. :)

Just a thought is that your fringe is irrititating your skin and making the forehead worse. Try pinning it back for a while at least while you sleep.

I suffered with this problem since i changed to the merian coil but they dont recognise it as a symptom at present. So it may not be your skin care it could be something else hun

I suffered with this problem since i changed to the merian coil but they dont recognise it as a symptom at present. So it may not be your skin care it could be something else hun

Very good point scattyfox, you should definately look into lifestyle factors, do you work in a hot sweaty environment, do you take any medication e.t.c hense the fringe comment.

I changed my skincare products which resulted in oily skin with quite open pores. When I went and had my eyebrows waxed I told the beauty therapist I suffer with sensitive, dry skin which she then argued was oily not sensitive. This resulted in me finding out I was using the wrong product for me and I have changed back to my normal brand instead of being taken in by advertising. It may be as simple as changing your products.:)

A beauty therapist told you that because your skin was oily then it can't be sensitive?

Oily/dry/combination are skin types, sensitive/dehdrated/congested are skin conditions....So it is perfectly possible to have an oily skin that is also sensitive.

As for the initial problem raised re oiliness, loads of good advice has been given so far, especially clipping back your fringe.

Try and use the simplest regime because oily skin can be p*ssed off skin!, i.e if your face is oily but not actually dirty when you come to cleanse it, then just use lukewarm water and a facecloth, don't bother to use any cleanser if it's not needed. When you do come to use cleanser, make sure it's a light, gentle cream cleanser....Origin's Pure Cream is good.

I am a huge fan of basic, light moisturisers....the less you interrupt the skin's balance the better. Olay's Sensitive Beauty Fluid is good.

Don't use astringent products because (as mentioned above) they will strip moisture from the skin, encouraging your sebaceous glands to produce more oil.

If you fancy using a masque, again don't use one with skin-stripping qualities....lots of masques for oily skin contain salicylic acid or the like, I wouldn't go there! Instead opt for a masque that will absorb oil rather than strip it away from the skin, so look for a masque that uses clay (often listed as kaolin) and contains balancing oils like lavender....Lush's Angels on Bare Skin or Benefit's Hi Neighbor! should do the trick.

hth

Sensitive skin as a type and condition can be argued many ways but I would personally define sensitive skin as a type: a skin that is is thin and fragile, reacts badly to weather conditions and touch and usually has broken capillaries as it is very vascular, it becomes reactive due to overreaction by langerhans cells in the skin over reacting and causing a histamine response (redness, itchyness e.t.c). I would suggest that sometimes oily skin that reacts had become "sensitised" once the oily skin has been treated it will no longer be "sensitised" (skin condition). You can only deduce this by talking to the client.

Some people think they have a sensitive skin when really they have had a reaction to a certain ingredient/s. Although people with sensitive skin obviously do react to products in this way too!

People with sensitve skin types will always have a problem with their skin as it is an internal problem with the barrier function of the skin whereas sensitised skin or skin with an allergic reaction will recover with removal of the irritation.

Just as an after thought on the topic just because something says hypoallergenic or sensitive you can still react with application if a specific ingredient does not suit your skin. It just means most people will not have a reaction.

Sorry to disagree but I would always sugest someone with oily skin uses a cleanser (a cleansing milk not a cream as it will be lighter) as the natural oil traps keratinised cells on the surface of the skin and if these are not lifted off (think of them as becoming a sticky cement) they will cause congestion.

Salycilic acid in my opinion is great as it exfoliates by dissolving sticky bonds between the dead cells and the skin. It can be strong if used too regularly so it would be something you could introduce slowly e.g once a day every other day for the first week and then increased, this reduces the chance of dehydration.

Then a light fluid on the top (oil free) preferably salon quality and then a light sun protection.

Just wanted to clarify that I agree with Amydaman that skin can be sensitive and oily but I would call this skin combination (I suppose it's just a matter of semantics) :) Maybe the therapist wasn't arguing that this isn't a possible combination just that jellybelly personally doesn't have sensitive skin?

Just wanted to clarify that I agree with Amydaman that skin can be sensitive and oily but I would call this skin combination (I suppose it's just a matter of semantics) :) Maybe the therapist wasn't arguing that this isn't a possible combination just that jellybelly personally doesn't have sensitive skin?

Everyone's bound to have differing opinions when it comes to what products we like/endorse. I particularly like cream cleansers on all types of skin, because I believe all types of skin need to be nourished and Origins Pure Cream is a dream! It contains loads of cleansing essential oils, which every skin type seems to love.

Calling an oily and sensitive skin 'combination' wouldn't be correct in my book, because you would be confusing skin type and skin condition.

Everyone has conflicting views, and just because they all arise on one thread, doesn't mean they have to be argued either way :green:

OOOO just reading this is amazing to me!! I am more a nail geek but popped across to read. Now I'm hooked! lol
I have very oily skin, blocked and open pores and the odd spot -mmm nice! I went to clinique because I thought I should get some expensive products (? - shrug). Anyway... they made me itch like mad, dried out my skin and it started to peel around the nose!!! So, I feel I have sensitive skin... but I feel like it needs a damned good scrub a hundred times a day. I am not using moisturiser at all at the mo as in the summer my face gets even oilier!!!
One good thing to come out of this is that I'm 37 but peple think I'm a lot younger.... its the oil!!! no wrinkles at all!!

OOOO just reading this is amazing to me!! I am more a nail geek but popped across to read. Now I'm hooked! lol
I have very oily skin, blocked and open pores and the odd spot -mmm nice! I went to clinique because I thought I should get some expensive products (? - shrug). Anyway... they made me itch like mad, dried out my skin and it started to peel around the nose!!! So, I feel I have sensitive skin... but I feel like it needs a damned good scrub a hundred times a day. I am not using moisturiser at all at the mo as in the summer my face gets even oilier!!!
One good thing to come out of this is that I'm 37 but peple think I'm a lot younger.... its the oil!!! no wrinkles at all!!
Try not to scrub/exfolliate too much as this can make the oil production go into overdrive.The skin will try to replace the oils that have been taken away thus ending up with you having an even oilier skin.
You should always use a moisturiser,people with oily skins think they can get away without one but you should always use a good quality,suitable moisturiser.
I would recommend that you go into a salon for a skin analysis and they can recommend a suitable skin care regime for you.HTH

So, what makes do any of you recommend - is that like asking how long is a piece of string?
I have spent tons on skin care - both with and without advice.... cheap and expensive... ended up with a cupboard load of stuff that doesn't work for me! Just cos my skin is oily and prone to spots and blackheads it is not young either. If I use cleanser etc for oily skin I start to itch and my skin goes taught and then dry.... Winter is coming and my skin HATES winter - so do I!! I was looking at some cleansers/toners moist. in salon express today... but I dunno, I don't know if they'll work either!

So, what makes do any of you recommend - is that like asking how long is a piece of string?
I have spent tons on skin care - both with and without advice.... cheap and expensive... ended up with a cupboard load of stuff that doesn't work for me! Just cos my skin is oily and prone to spots and blackheads it is not young either. If I use cleanser etc for oily skin I start to itch and my skin goes taught and then dry.... Winter is coming and my skin HATES winter - so do I!! I was looking at some cleansers/toners moist. in salon express today... but I dunno, I don't know if they'll work either!

The best advice i can give you as a therapist and fellow suffer of oily skin is to insist on trying a sample before you buy.
I use Decleor but what works for me may not work for you.
Try going to some of your local salons and ask for samples of cleanser,toner & moisturiser (also some masks & exfoliants if they can) some good ones that i have used before are guinot, dermalogica, thalgo and matis.
Also Clarins do a very good anti ageing moisturiser for oily skin. hths

Poor you :hug:

Clinique was probably the worst place to go for products, they can be so irritating to the skin; stripping it and p*ssing it right off in one fell swoop!

Yours is a good example of how oily skin can also be sensitive skin.

Try and do as little to your skin as possible; buy a basic cream/milk cleanser such as Origins Pure Cream, Chanel's Hydrating Cleansing Milk, or even a Simple Cleanser (there are loads more good 'uns on the market, just make sure whatever you buy isn't packed full of skin-stripping ingredients). Use this cleanser when you actually need it, a maximum of twice a day.....massage it in to your skin and remove with a soft cotton face-cloth. When your face feels like it just needs to be refreshed, use a damp cotton face-cloth gently on your face and rinse with cool water.

The skin is like any other part of your body....works at its most efficient when its left well alone thankyou very much!:green: But once you start applying products to it such as makeup, cleansers, moisturisers, it can knock your skin right out of balance and it's up to you to put it right again!

The reason why I do not recommend products aimed towards oily skin is because they do very often strip the skin and make the problem worse. Your sebaceaous glands produce sebum, which, when mixed with a little sweat, creates a beautiful, natural anti-bacterial barrier to protect your skin.

Strip this barrier away and your skin works overtime to create it again, producing far more sebum than it needs, which is where your problem lies.

So once you've undertaken your gentle cleansing routine, don't use any toner except for a splash of cool water, and then apply a basic, lightweight moisturiser (such as Olay Sensitive Beauty Fluid).

The key to keeping your skin happy is to keep it simple :green:

hth

Thanx amy... I understand that. Just one thing... how about make up... don't wear it apart from to go out and in the winter when need brightening up! any suggestions for oil absorbing foundations... i usually get say a no.7 tinted moisturiser and that would be it really but find that they will get shiney really quickly. is it true also to use only cream blush if wearing cream foundation/tinted moisturiser? and cream eyeshadows... just feel like my face would be like an oil slick!! ha ha.

Latest posts

Back