OMG, my skills were tested!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waffy

Reaction score
Hi
I'm feeling very low. I just had a lady in for gel enhancements.
The ladies nails were the worst I have ever seen. So badly bitten there was not even a quarter of nail bed left. With bulging dry skin as stumps at the ends.

I started explaing about bitten nails and that enhancements were not in destructible anyway she was adamant she wanted French tips!

I will say I did my best but I feel they were not very good. I had to attach the top quite low down and used opaque pink . I am unsure if this was the right thing to do It's made me feel really under confident with gels. I feel really disappointed with my work, when I was just getting the hang of it ( I usually do l&p) She was checking her watch every two mins and said she had false nails before at a discount salon.

She said they hurt her and were rough and burnt her.

I should have taken pics but I was thrown a little. Should I have used forms instead of tips? Any advice for this?
Just to add the lady was really pleased with them!! I'm dreading her coming back for rebalance!!!

:-(

Last edited by a moderator:
I always sculpt a nail biter and use cover pink to elongate the nail bed. Find they look more natural than tips, however if she was adamant on tips maybe persuade her for natural tips next time and cover pink & white instead of white tips as will look more natural.

Hi
I'm feeling very low. I just had a lady in for gel enhancements.
The ladies nails were the worst I have ever seen. So badly bitten there was not even a quarter of nail bed left. With bulging dry skin as stumps at the ends.

I started explaing about bitten nails and that enhancements were not in destructible anyway she was adamant she wanted French tips!

I will say I did my best but I feel they were not very good. I had to attach the top quite low down and used opaque pink . I am unsure if this was the right thing to do It's made me feel really under confident with gels. I feel really disappointed with my work, when I was just getting the hang of it ( I usually do l&p) She was checking her watch every two mins and said she had false nails before at a discount salon.

She said they hurt her and were rough and burnt her.

I should have taken pics but I was thrown a little. Should I have used forms instead of tips? Any advice for this?
Just to add the lady was really pleased with them!! I'm dreading her coming back for rebalance!!!

:-(

Look .. don't feel low or bad about the nails you did.

Nails like you describe are a REAL challenge to make look nice never mind long sleek and perfect!! Really it is impossible to do that. You can only do the best with what you have to work with and it sounds as what you had to work with was pretty ugly.

You don't need to feel incompetent with gels ... I can tell you, I wouldn't have liked to do them and would have also prefered to use L&P. Bitten nails are often really flat, have no proper side walls etc and L&P is much easier to work with when you have nails like that. I always take the easiest road for me.

I don't think you made the wrong choice using tips. I would have used them too because they are easier than sculpting this type of nail and they offer you a regular sidewall to work on. Easier also to file and finish too. But there is not a wrong or a right way as either way is as strong and long lasting as the other.

Your client was pleased and that is the important thing. Each time she returns they should get easier to do if she looks after them but I never trust biters to look after their nails ... they have a history of doing just the oposite dont they?? lol

my tutor has taught us to use tips on biters and as bad as it is i was questioning it as so many people on here have said they sculpt on bitten nails, but i feel better now geeg has said she would have tipped. so thank you for helping me out.

As geeg as said and as i found in the past u cant create a perfect masterpiece with a imperfect canvas to start with u can only do ur best to which i am sure u have so dont beat urself up, u did a masterpiece considering the canvas u worked on and as long as the client was happy thats the main thing as for NSS and the client u can tell her it took longer as you did a full and correct service without battering her nails by drilling them down! heres a big :hug: for u, well done! x

Don't beat yourself up. Badly bitten nails take time to master. I always sculpted to get the optimum look. I just couldn't seem to achieve it with a tip. They always ended up looking stumpy.

But look at it this way, they had to look better than what she came in with, right?

Thank you!! I feel a little better now!!
Yes! I agree, I did go into the these aren't going to last if you bite and pick at them!!!
I gave her pinkie solar oil and said she must use twice a day at least. I couldn't stress enough that if she didn't look after them. Ie using gloves etc they may not last as well with the condition of her natural nail!!
We shall see!!

I'm seeing her next Friday as she has booked in for EBT and ELT and a pedicure!!!
So I will see how they are holding up!!

Thanks again x

You mentioned suggestions, thought this might help in the future (I'm obsessed with this website :lol::

Nail Angel: Login (tips)

Nail Angel: Login (sculpted)

People do it different ways like using the reverse technique etc but I tend to do this one (the sculpted one)

Hope it helps a little! :hug: xx

P.S. if you can't see the vids it's well worth registering to see them :D

Ok thanks
I will get studying!!! X

Lolla is there any way to register with them outside the UK?

Hi this is an interesting thread.

I was taught to use tips, and only sculpt if there was a bit of free edge to get the form under. With bitten nails there is usually nothing at all to work with. Does it matter if there are little gaps between the finger and form?? whats the best way to do these.

I have a fair few customers with nails like this too! :sad:

Tried registering Lolla but for some reason it excludes Scotland :irked:

Latest posts

Back