One Client asking me to use a gel system I'm not currently using

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjg1

Reaction score
Hey!
I'm not too sure what to do so any advice would be grateful.
I have a client who has been living abroad for a while and has gel overlays on her nails. She asked me to infill them and as I do with any new client I explained I don't like to fill in other techs work as I'm not too sure of the product/system that has been used but if she was happy for me to then I would.
She has the (what I call) original gel, not the soak off gel. So I filled them in with the gel I have and she was very pleased and left. Then she returned after two weeks and said that she didn't like the gel as it wasn't the same as what she was used to as hers normally last up to 5 weeks. Also she said that it wasn't my work at all as she could see that I was good and that she would ring her former tech and find out what she used as I asked her if she knew.
She then came back a few days later and said she was upset with her nails but again she wasn't blaming me she was blaming the gel. She also said her former tech was using OPI.
So, me being me, called OPI earlier to see if I could purchase the gel. I was told that for me to be able to get it I'd need to do their workshop day which I was fine about as if I use a new product I like to know that I'm using everything the way it should be used! I then asked how much. Its £50 + vat for their workshop day but I have to purchase a kit which is £250 + vat. So it will set me back around £360 i think.
I would normally go for this but I hardly have any 'original' buff off gel clients, actually just her at the mo and I don't know if its worth it. I've been in the industry a while now and I have 4 different UV lamps so really don't want to have to buy another one just for her. Although I know she will be a loyal client and come in every few weeks. My friend sugested looking on auction sites but I don't trust that they are genuine.
What do you think I should do? :sad:

Personally, I wouldn't change my products for one client. I use the products I use because I believe in them.

She said that her previous product usually lasted up to 5 weeks! Again this is a personal view, a client that only comes in every 5 weeks or so is not that valuable to me I'm afraid, the regrowth after that time must look awful.

Also, have you ever thought a new client will be loyal and regular and then they turned out not to be? Its happend to me a few times. Its sometimes the ones I least expected that have become my hardcore clients. You might spend loads and then she only turns up a few times.

I must concur. We're not talking about something as simple as carrying a polish that she likes. This is a major expense and she's obviously unaware of just what she is asking. If she doesn't want a full set of your best, then she needs to do her research and find a nail professional in the area who is qualified in OPI gels.

Ditto what's been said. This woman is being unreasonable.
She's not going to tell the restaurant where to buy their beef for her fillet mignon, or tell her doctor where to buy his stethoscope....

Five weeks? No thanks. I wouldn't want a client like that, coming back with them all overgrown and expecting to pay regular 'refill' price for something that's almost a new set after all the rebalancing.

Stand firm.

I wonder if this client has been living in Germany? Lol

Sorry German ladies but ... We find here in Spain all the German clients want their nails to last 5-6 weeks minimum .. And at the same rebalance cost as the regular 2-3 week clients even though it takes so much more time and effort! (not bloody likely :biggrin:).

They come in with their nails looking in ghastly condition and of course hanging half way down their fingers ... And they think this looks OK?

They are not worth the time it takes to put their nails right and they are certainly not worth the money they want it to cost them. Nightmare clients.

I think you'd be crazy to invest in a whole new system for 1 client who hasn't even tried a full set of your nails and has only nipped into the salon a couple of times.

The 4 other lamps that you have, were they bought to please a variation of clients or did you get them for yourself? Don't be too, too eager to please, if your work is good enough the clients would be happy with YOUR system that you have had many years experience with. :)

I agree with everyone else, I think you would be bonkers if you did this for her......who does she think she is anyway?!?!? The Queen?!?!!?
That is about the only person I would do this for but before I did even for the Queen, I would do my utmost to get her to try your system first and give it good go, as in at least a couple of rebalances.

5 weeks, this is not ok and most clients know this, so she sounds like the type of client we could all do without to be honest, just stay true to your system and your good work and say NO, say that you would be more than happy to remove whatever is on her nails now and more than happy to show her how great your system is (of course while you say all this you put on that great smile that we have to give difficult clients) and if she still refuses and still expects you to buy in a new system just for her, I figure she has 2 options....1, she pays for you to order it in and it gets used exclusive on her or 2, she goes elsewhere, it's as simple as that!!

Good luck, keep us posted with what happens.

I agree also, it is far too expensive to change products for just one client. They clue was in her saying that her previous product lasted 5 weeks. You may have a loyal client, may not though, but she would be coming to you every 5-6 weeks not every couple of weeks so it would take you forever to get your money back.

I would explain to her that you have looked into it and that it is just not practical for you to change products. If she wanted to she could track down an OPI tech in her own time. I can understand where she is coming from but you are in business. What if every client wanted you to use a favourite product of theirs? :rolleyes:

I agree with all other posts! It really would'nt benefit you in any way, unless you are unhappy with the system you're using and want to change. x

I would have to agree with all the above, good luck!

What should you do?

If you can't persuade her to remove what she has on and try your product you should advise her to find a salon that uses OPI.

Jacqui xx

I don't think you should change your products for one client at all, I think you would be mad to tbh!

You should advise this client that it can take up to 5 rewhites for her nails to get used to your product (hopefully not in this case but it can) try get her to try rewhites a few more times with your product and if she's still not happy unfortunately she will have to find an opi salon :(
Hth x

Why is OPI having you take a course to use their gels? I use Axxium and soak off lacquer and I never took their training. The salon professional kit I bought on Amazon came with the lamp, a bunch of the gels, and an instructional DVD. Videos are also available on their professional site.

I just can't believe they'd require you to do their training, lol. Is that a UK thing?

Btw, I have been using Axxium for four months and I absolutely love it. No lifting, product break down, or any issues to speak of. It has a great consistency and cures quickly. It's strong and lightweight. I adore it.

Here are some pics I took of one of my gel clients.
b8e45a62-df09-b207.jpg
b8e45a62-df2f-42cb.jpg
b8e45a62-df48-136a.jpg

Thanks guys you have all made me feel better :biggrin:
The fact everyone is agreeing is good! I'm the sort of person who finds it hard to say no but I'm definately going to stand my ground on this one!
I have 4 lamps for different systems (bio sculpture, shellac, the standard lamp from when I first trained in gels and then also one i got as I wanted a new one a bit later on as it looked better lol :lol:).
Like some of you have said, if she doesn't like it then she can find somewhere that uses OPI! And yes I would be rebalancing after 5 weeks not infilling:mad:!
Thank you all, I will let you know what happens :Love:

(ps sorry for late reply, my computer wasn't working!)

Latest posts

Back