One of those clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vivaladivanails

Reaction score
Hi There!

So it's my first post and apologize for jumping in needing advice right away, but....

So I did a client the other day and she was pretty stuck up.

She had cone in with a VERY elaborate nail art photo... Her set was a reduced set won in a silent auction, but I didn't say anything about the fact she wanted $90 nails for $40,but did tell her it was very elaborate. She asked how long it would take and iI said at least 3 hours.

She said that was way too long, and she's not that patient. I advised her that I do everything by hand and even a basic set takes me 1.5-2 hours.... I do not use an electric file for anything other than fills. I explained everything to her in advance. She seemed fine with it.

I started working on her and she seemed utterly bored immediately.

I got through prep and glued her tips, she immediately pointed out two she felt were inaccurately placed, I smiled and changed them.

I do much of my work by feel.. I feel for rough edges and even tips etc.. Can't explain it, just find it more reliable...

So I file, feel, file feel.. Quite often I will be on a different finger, but see something on a previous finger and go back.

So we are filing and she's pointing things out to me.. Can you file this? This doesn'tlook straight, There's a piece of acrylic under my nails.. Etc.. Usually before I've even gad a chance to get to what she's pointing out. So I patiently comply and explain that I was not quite there yet, politely.

So we get to the end and I ask her to take a feel and see if there's anything she wants touched up before she goes.

She says it all feels good. I cuticle oil and send her on her way.

Now for a bit of background, I am very OCD and perfectionist. To a fault I'm sure, and I offer 7 day guarantee.

So two says go by and she messages me to say the cuticle oil I used turned her nails yellow all around the edges.

I have used this oil on every mobile client I have without issue.

So I said, wow, that's strange. I've never had anyone say that. She us adamant and rudely asks what I'll do about it. I said I would fix it, but it must gave been a reaction or something as I've never seen that.

I am out of town for the weekend and was going to do it this coming week.
Another day goes by and she texts to say two nails snapped off. I asked what happened. She got super defensive and said she didn't do anything and now she's lost 4.Tjis is over 5 minutes.

She tells me it is obviously because I put her tips on wrong. Which I didn't and told her that the tips were put in pproperly, and suggested she maybe just needs a stronger appex as she has little ones and perhaps needs more strength.

She tells me that she has gotten nails for years and never lost any before. Also she now tells me she vis very picky about her nails and does not like the tips wide, and that they are too wide, and the cuticle oil her other techs used was always clear, so obviously my oil is rank.

So at this point I feel like she's just gaging a free for all attack on my service. She I'd not a technician so how does she know so much more than me?

She even went as far as to tell me if I dremeled her nails first there wouldn't be an issue.

Basically I told her that I cannot control the width if her tips. The tips fit her nail properly so that's how wide they need to be, and to narrow them down would further compromise the strength.
I do not Dremel natural nails as I do not use MMA and will not damage her Natural nail just because that's what she's used to.

I said I was happy to take a look and thicken her appex etc, but if she feels that because I won't narrow the tips thinner than her natural width and Dremel her nail I am not doing it right pperhaps I am not the right tech for her.

I don't even feel like I should be held accountable for the oil issue but am doing it anyways.

What does one do with clients like this?

She says she will come, but I feel like she is just going to do it all over again and I honestly don't think my work is the issue.. So what do you do?

Some people you just can't satisfy. Why has she left her last nail tech if they were completing her nails the way she wanted? You've explained to her why you won't etch her nail plate or taper her tips, you'd think she would be glad you're looking out for her nails. If it was me, I think I would do want she wanted (except etch her nail plate) and go from there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

I get clients like that all the time! You can't please everyone. I also have a client who feels she can do a better job than me. You just have to smile and get on with it! If she doesn't come back then your saving yourself some hassle down the line. My client hasn't came back and I'm not even that bothered cos she just made me stress the whole time. Us therapists are good at our job and don't need people telling us we are doing it wrong. x

I've not had any of "Those clients" yet (thank god) but it seams you are handling it well. I'd do what she wants (not nail plate tho), get her out of the door and don't let her back in again!

Latest posts

Back