One of 'those' clients!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBeth

Reaction score
Sorry this is going to be a bit of a long story!
I have had a young mum coming to get her nails done for around 6/7 months. She is a nice lady, but has always been a little unreliable.
Every single appointment she has made has been cancelled at the very last minute, sometimes within minutes of her appointment. She seems to have reasonable excuses (baby had a reaction to needles, hubby in hospital, short on cash, last minute school principal appointment, stuck at the Doctors etc). Each and every time I have virtually said "that's ok, thanks for letting me know" and left it at that.
She always rebooks and apologizes for the inconvenience, and always shows to the follow up bookings...until last time.
Last time I sent her a confirmation text 24 hours prior to her appointment, with a "reply yes to confirm & no to cancel" nothing, so I sent another text at the close of business, asking could she please confirm, nothing, then yet another text first thing the next morning asking if she was able to attend today...nothing! Well in the end she was a no show.
Well today, 3 weeks later I get this message on Facebook,
"Hi hun, sorry I havent been in touch for a while. Ive been and out of hospital with post natal depression 😞 I was wondering if I could possibly book in please for nails and toes. And you can please let me know the cost now cause I remember reading about an increase x"

What on earth should I do, take her booking & risk another no show, ask for a non refundable deposit, what would other Geeks do?
I know this is partly my fault for being so accommodating, but I think it's at a point where I need to stop looking at it from a personal angle and start looking at it with my business hat on!
Any feedback is welcome, as I'm really not sure what is the most professional way to approach this issue.
Thanks for letting me vent!

It's a tough one under the circumstances. Perhaps a text back along the lines of

Hi xxx

Many thanks for your text. So sorry to hear you've been unwell, sounds like you could do with some pampering. The cost of your treatment will be xx. I understand how life can be busy with your lovely family so may I suggest either calling me to book on the day you require your treatment (so if you're unable to make your appointment there's no need to cancel or rearrange) or alternatively if you have a day in mind I kindly ask for a deposit of xx to secure your booking for the date and time required. I hope you understand for both parties concerned this ensures a seamless appointment. I await to hear from you.

Kindest Regards your name

Balls in her court then lovey. Protects your business and gently nudges her to hopefully understand your position as well. Sometimes clients don't quite understand. Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you so much for your quick reply happyfeet, I love what you have written, I really appreciate your help. :)

You're very welcome lovey xx

didn't want to start a new thread, hope you don't mind. Few days ago I had a client who didnt want to pay for her nails done.
I'm not from the UK, but ill give price in gbp.
I used Vinylux client chosed colour, I'm qualified, working at beauty salon, almost 9 years experienced.
Client was pleased with the results, but when i told her in the end how much it costs she refused to pay (charge under tenner), she said its too much for her.

What would you do if it happend to you?

It's a tough one under the circumstances. Perhaps a text back along the lines of

Hi xxx

Many thanks for your text. So sorry to hear you've been unwell, sounds like you could do with some pampering. The cost of your treatment will be xx. I understand how life can be busy with your lovely family so may I suggest either calling me to book on the day you require your treatment (so if you're unable to make your appointment there's no need to cancel or rearrange) or alternatively if you have a day in mind I kindly ask for a deposit of xx to secure your booking for the date and time required. I hope you understand for both parties concerned this ensures a seamless appointment. I await to hear from you.

Kindest Regards your name

Balls in her court then lovey. Protects your business and gently nudges her to hopefully understand your position as well. Sometimes clients don't quite understand. Xxx

That is beautifully put states the terms without causing offence, think ill pinch that too :)

Just thought you may need to clarify it's a non refundable deposit. Xx

didn't want to start a new thread, hope you don't mind. Few days ago I had a client who didnt want to pay for her nails done.
I used Vinylux client chosed colour, I'm qualified, working at beauty salon, almost 9 years experienced.
Client was pleased with the results, but when i told her in the end how much it costs she refused to pay (charge under tenner), she said its too much for her.

That is ridiculous! How can she not want to pay? Some people really get me angry! For one she wouldn't be leaving the salon until she had paid and if she put up a fight about it id suggest she pays now or ill call the police, if she leaves without paying she's basically stealing, she may not have something in her pocket but it's theft at the end of the day.

Do you have a price list? Was she aware of your price before hand? I often ask clients to pay before I do a polish incase of smudges and at least that way they know how much it'll be.

Did she pay? Please say she paid.
Under £10 what did she want it for free or something? Lol shocking x

I would ask her to take a seat and remove every last trace of polish .stand up ,open the door and say good bye .

I would resist the urge to slam the door but if she was refusing to pay then I'd be damned if she was leaving with free pretty nails ...the cheeky article

I was shocked too, i explained every single tool i used was disposable, nail polish is not common and others, but she said she cant afford that and last time she had her nails done by someone else she paid 5, so she will pay 5.
She is an old lady, i can tell she didnt mean to steal from me or get a free service, maybe she thoughts this service really costs 5.
So i took 5 to cover my cost per service and told her not to come back.

Next time i'll take payment in advance, thank you.

Just to update this post.
I replied to the Facebook message to the client in question, yesterday, (early afternoon here), shortly after happy feet posted her reply, using a message almost word for word to the example she provided, (just personalising it a little).
The message has been 'seen' by my client minutes after I sent it (according to Facebook), but I have not yet had a reply, (it's now early evening the next day)
I was very brave and stated a non refundable deposit of 50% of the appointment cost would be required and I think that may have been a bit of a shock!
Oh well, I'll wait and see how it pans out, in the meantime, I have updated my cancellation and other salon policies and posted them on Facebook for all to see.
Thanks again to happyfeet and the many other Geeks for the wealth of knowledge and experience you share with those of us reasonably new to the business.

McBeth, you did a good and brave thing, you have time put your foot down and stop clients walking all over you. Sometimes it's daunting but it's always for the best, we need to train them. If it puts some people off then they're probably the ones that aren't good for your business.

Well done.

Karaxxx

I don't get no shows on nails but I do on hairdressing. The way I get round this is to say that I need a deposit for appointments which is refundable at 24 hours notice. No less, or they loose a deposit. I usually tell them that it's getting busy and I need it to buy products in advance.

It's a tough one because I don't want them to feel singled out so I tell them I'm doing it for every client. You don't want them taking the mick but you don't want to offend them. Good luck with future appointments. Xxxx

Well, my client did get back to me, it was late on Sunday night saying she was happy to pay a deposit and would lunch time Monday be ok to drop it off!
Yay, I was so pleased, until Monday came and went, with no sign of my client and her deposit. So on Tuesday morning I messaged her explaining if the deposit was not paid by the end of the day I would be unable to hold her appointment for her for Thursday. Surprise, surprise, no reply or deposit. :(
I have since filled that appointment, and I will no longer take appointments from this client.
At least I have not lost out, with the appointment filled and a bit of a wake up call!
But it really it a lot of energy and time spent chasing a very unreliable time waster!
New Years Resolution...to respect myself and my business!

I was shocked too, i explained every single tool i used was disposable, nail polish is not common and others, but she said she cant afford that and last time she had her nails done by someone else she paid 5, so she will pay 5.
She is an old lady, i can tell she didnt mean to steal from me or get a free service, maybe she thoughts this service really costs 5.
So i took 5 to cover my cost per service and told her not to come back.

Next time i'll take payment in advance, thank you.

Glad you got something, although she should have paid up. You don't go in Waitrose and say "well these steaks are half that in Tesco so that's what I'm paying" do you? Technically she is stealing but hey, it's a fiver and at least you've told her to go elsewhere next time so it won't happen again. :) x

Yes it is a lot of time wasting effort with people like this. I have a client who is exactly the same.

She will cancel the same appointment at least 5 times with plausible excuses. The way I handle her is to assume she will cancel and have an alternative plan, like I will go shopping. If I have a client who wants that appointment then miss unreliable gets a text from me saying I have an emergency and I need to change her appointment. People like that will understand.:wink2:

Yes it is a lot of time wasting effort with people like this. I have a client who is exactly the same.

She will cancel the same appointment at least 5 times with plausible excuses. The way I handle her is to assume she will cancel and have an alternative plan, like I will go shopping. If I have a client who wants that appointment then miss unreliable gets a text from me saying I have an emergency and I need to change her appointment. People like that will understand.:wink2:

Clients like this are not good for your business - they loose you too much money. I had one just like this, would cancel at last min because she was late off work, car broke down, her horse was sick etc. I finally had enough, and sacked her / no more problem client simple ! X

I'd have been really angry that someone thought their reasons for no showing were so consistently more worthy of them being polite enough to at least let me know.

Good riddance!

Just thought I'd update this thread, (even though it has been 6 months) as this one client I have mentioned, contacted me 2 days ago about booking in for another appointment for fingers and toes.
I was very friendly and of course said yes, and before I could even mention a deposit, she asked if I would be home the next day to drop in a deposit!
I nearly fell over, but said yes, and thought, oh well, let's see what happens.
Well, just as she promised, she dropped in the FULL payment the next day, I wrote her out a receipt and booked her appointment in.
I'm so happy that by setting some professional boundaries, I think I might have gained some respect from her, (at least I hope I have) and by continuing to be friendly and professional, and not take it to personally, she felt comfortable and welcome to come back!
Today I love my job, and I feel I have had a little personal win for staying strong, and by both listening and following all the valuable advice that you wonderful, wise Geeks offered me!
Thank you!

Well done! And I am so glad that she has now realized that she can't mess you around.
At the end of the day you work for yourself and that is time set aside for her if she cancels short notice it's non remuneration and you could have been doing your own laundry or gone to gym or done something else even if you didn't book in another client.

👏👏👏👏

Beauty at your finger tips!

Latest posts

Back