Opalescent???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobermum

Reaction score
On my Nail art course one of the range we have to cover is opalescent.

What is it?? Duh!!! :rolleyes:

My tutor is not sure either. She is torn between the type of varnish itself or a marbelling effect.

Thanks in advance
Jane x

The definition of opalescence is: Exhibiting a milky iridescence like that of an opal.
Not quite opaque, but not clear. Spangles used to do a range of paints called opalescents.

The definition of opalescence is: Exhibiting a milky iridescence like that of an opal.
Not quite opaque, but not clear. Spangles used to do a range of paints called opalescents.
Yes this would be how I would describe it,quite a weak,watery colour.

it's almost like a shimmercolor, it shoots off pink/purple in one direction, blueish/green the other, like a superfine glitter, but it's more based on reflection and movement

it would be the polish type , marbelising is different altogether.

I would describe opalescent as the colours that you get when you have a fresh oil mark on the driveway and then you try and clean it with water. Makes a beautiful watery rainbow colour.:eek:

Hi, you can get opalescent paints for nail art in a few colours. Ka-sa-ra do them and they give a lovely pearlescent shimmer to anything you add it to.
Why not give Ka-sa-ra a ring, they also have a web site. Hope this helps. :biggrin:

Ok, this isnt the best work Ive ever done, but here is an old pic of mine where I used opalescent paint. I worked the paint quite heavily here but it can be done with a much more subtle effect (and looks much nicer).:wink2:

1316d1121078762-ok-so-theyre-pants-copy-picture-1903.jpg

The paints are used sparingly, go on 'milky white' and the colour comes through as they start to dry.
The effect is most dramatic on black/dark polish, but as said above gives a nice subtle shimmer to pale colours.
Got mine from Ka-Sa_Ra & the local art shop.

Beautiful nails Gloria! As always!

Opalescent paints are stunning, they make a subtle background for nail art or are just lovely on their own. I love them on dark colours because thats when they change from pearly to the true opal effect, like oil on water. They are great for blending like the pic by Gloria. Very minimal use so pots last forever. Can also be diluted with water for airbrushing.

Try gold and orange on dark red, blue and violet on dark blue, all 6 on black and my mum loves the gold over dark brown!

We do 6 different colours, blue, orange, gold, violet, green and red. Each in a 15ml bottle for £2.95. At Welcome To K-Sa-Ra . Codes start with 1801 if that is any help. Ta.

Thank you everyone - Gloria your nails are fab - I knew you could all make sense of it for me. I will order some now.

Brill...

Just ordered and paid for next day delivery so I can have a gold and a red one available to use for an assessment Thursday night. Fingers crossed.... I will also be sure to show them my tutor so she knows what they are from now on!!!!

HI Jane

I got your order, thank you very much, all is in stock, and even though it missed our 12noon despatch deadline for today, i have just legged it round the post office in my high heals, with my staff in stiches!!!, so it will be with you tomorrow morning rather than Thursday morning!

I need a cuppa tea now!

Thank you Rachel - you can be my new best friend ....I'm glad I found your site. I have bookmarked it but would you please please please only let me order once a month at least.....I'm addicted!!!!

Latest posts

Back