Opening a salon - checklist...?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katelisa

Reaction score
I think we should all out our heads together and make a sort of
checklist to all the things you need to look at when your opening a salon.

From safety and security, to the liscence you need to play music, to decor etc.

I have something in the pipelines which would mean renting my own shop instead of space in a shop. And ive tried searching the internet to find what i need, and this sitem, but i cant quite get the info im after!

So, Any geeks that have their own salon, or are knowlegeable in the area, give us some advice! =]

just totally off the top of my head -
check out the competition in the are - what products they are using ect

what furniture you are going to need

products - ordering more then you already have - ordering new lines if you have a whole shop to fill?

insurance - maybe it needs to change if you are getting a shop rather then renting a space

staff - will you take staff on or just work there your self

advertising

space of the shop - what treatments can you offer maybe you could do some others that you cant do from the rented space

fincancial stuff - getting a oand ect

im sure theres loads more stuff but i just put down what ever came into my head at the moment - hope it helped - even just a little bit!!

tori xx

ahh brilliant, thanks sandi,. i knew there must be something on here somewhere!! i just couldnt spot it!

Sorry, I haven't been about - it was on my list to do - watch out for it in the next few days xxxx

Well I think I would have to say that MONEY will be your biggest challenge.

It was and still is my weakest point.

KEEP THE BOOKS UP TO DATE - WATCH AND BUDGET EVERY PENNY!!

I cant stress that enough.

You get so carried away working in the salon that you forget the financial situation.
Unless you have a partner to watch over this situation then you should be fine.

What a good idea. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one, and checking the two links. I went round and picked up a price list from all the local salons when I started. Also check other websites - I've had a few ideas for new treatments from them.
Hope it all goes well for you Kate xx

If there is anything anyone wants adding into the next - then I will do it - either PM me or I will check this post :green:

Thanks alot geeks!

Ive been round by my potential salon (i say salon, its teeny!! lol) picking up price lists for local salons, theres a few about, and i couldnt believe the differences in price!!! 2 salons literally 1 minute apart, and there can be up to £8 difference on some things! :eek:

madness!

What about a list of what to do on the opening night/event ?

Be prepared to be busy, busy, busy, especially if your working on your own, i never expected to be that busy, but when the phones ringing, people are coming in and your trying to do nails, waxing etc, it does stress you out a bit, i've ended up getting my neice and my mum (bless her) in to answer the phone and deal with reception when I know it's really busy, I suppose it's not a bad complaint though
ali

Just a quick post to let you know I haven't forgotton about this - just been really busy - hope to have something ready soon xxxx

Really looking forward to ir snugglepuss could be perfect timing to help me open my teeny salon !! Hurrah!

Just a quick post to let you know I haven't forgotton about this - just been really busy - hope to have something ready soon xxxx

Hi just a friendly reminder ...cant wait! :hug:

Cait x

i am in the process of buying my own hair and beauty salon. i have a lsit of things i need to do which i wrote down.
1-inform the inland revenue within 3 months of opening your business
2-register for class 2 national insurance contributions
3-contact the local fire brigade to see whether a fire certificate is required
4-speak to local authority about licences
5-contact HSE 08701 545500
6-do emergency plan detailing what to do in a fire
7-provide equipment and fire alarms and emergency exits
8-have written policy on health and safety
9-ask HSE about first aid courses
10- need to put a notice up as to where to locate the first aid kit
11-health and safety law poster must be displayed
12-open business account at the bank
13-contact suppliers
14-do a business plan
15-contact utility suppliers-gas,water,electric
16-do a profit and loss forecast
17-contact phone company about a business line
18-register for VAT when annual turnover exceeds £56,000
19-register data with the information commissioner 01625 545745
20-have a table for recording information for COSHH
21-ask doctor for tetanus, hepatitis a,b and c
22-join a professional body
23-inform HSE of business name and address
24-inform HSE of any new employees
25-register with the local health authority
26-must display fire evacuation procedures
27-apply for planning permission to the council for signage
28-apply for music licence or ask at music shop for special cd's

this is just my list that i have wrote down to reminder myself. i'm bound to need to do umpteen more things but hopefully someone might find it useful!

Last edited:
That is quite a large list, you're gonna be a busy busy bee lol.

Just a note, as far as i know you dont really need "21-ask doctor for tetanus, hepatitis a,b and c" unless you plan on doing invasive procedures such as epilation. Even then you dont have to have it, i never bothered at college. And i dont do epilation now anyway.[/COLOR][/COLOR]

i am in the process of buying my own hair and beauty salon. i have a lsit of things i need to do which i wrote down.
1-inform the inland revenue within 3 months of opening your business
2-register for class 2 national insurance contributions
3-contact the local fire brigade to see whether a fire certificate is required
4-speak to local authority about licences
5-contact HSE 08701 545500
6-do emergency plan detailing what to do in a fire
7-provide equipment and fire alarms and emergency exits
8-have written policy on health and safety
9-ask HSE about first aid courses
10- need to put a notice up as to where to locate the first aid kit
11-health and safety law poster must be displayed
12-open business account at the bank
13-contact suppliers
14-do a business plan
15-contact utility suppliers-gas,water,electric
16-do a profit and loss forecast
17-contact phone company about a business line
18-register for VAT when annual turnover exceeds £56,000
19-register data with the information commissioner 01625 545745
20-have a table for recording information for COSHH
21-ask doctor for tetanus, hepatitis a,b and c
22-join a professional body
23-inform HSE of business name and address
24-inform HSE of any new employees
25-register with the local health authority
26-must display fire evacuation procedures
27-apply for planning permission to the council for signage
28-apply for music licence or ask at music shop for special cd's

this is just my list of what i have wrote down to reminder myself. i'm bound to need to do umpteen more things but hopefully someone might find it useful!

well i am going to be doing piercing so am not leaving anything to chance-lol. the doctor will do it for free if your line of work requires it and to be honest it's better to be safe than sorry!!! technically you can get hepatitis from waxing. ok the risk is small but it is still there and i would advise anyone doing any procedure such as waxing to get immunised. hepatitis can live outside the body for quite a while!!

Last edited:
one other thing i was thinking of doing was changing the locks! will have to check with the landlord if this is ok. did anyone else opening their own salon get the locks changed?

A good way to go is to contact your local Business help centre such as Business Link or Enterprise Trust. They take you through all the area's of starting a business that you need to consider and can help put you in touch with the relevant people about grants etc. They also do short courses on Marketing. Finance, Business Planning & Bookkeeping and it's all free. They put on Business clubs where you can meet with other businesses and this can help put you in touch with various contacts that you may be looking for to help you with such things as marketing or advertising etc. They are well worth a call.
Claire x

Latest posts

Back