OPI Gel Polish not soaking off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudeymel

Reaction score
I just did a soak off for OPI gel polish, I applied it myself 2 weeks ago and I put the OPI remover laquer onto the remover pads and put them on like normal, I usually leave them for 15 mins and they peel right off but they were on an hour and they had started to lift in places but it was stuck fast!I tried using pure acetone and had no luck so I eventually scraped as much of as I could with a metal tool which I really wasn't happy about and then I covered it up with another colour. Does anyone have any suggestions why this happened, it was the same for her toes aswell. The colour was 'I'm not really a waitress' and I used a 36w UV lamp as my OPI LED lamp was on order?? I have another soak off tomorrow and now I'm really concerned incase it happens again because I can't say to a customer 'I can either leave this on patchy or scrape it off and damage your nail' which is what I was coming close to saying. x

If you file the top coat to break the seal it will come off easier.

Perhaps the remove had evaporated, particularly if you left them on for an hour?? I have never had problem removing OPI gelcolor, as soon as I lift the wraps it has already peeled off so I never need to scrape it.

I just did a soak off for OPI gel polish, I applied it myself 2 weeks ago and I put the OPI remover laquer onto the remover pads and put them on like normal, I usually leave them for 15 mins and they peel right off but they were on an hour and they had started to lift in places but it was stuck fast!I tried using pure acetone and had no luck so I eventually scraped as much of as I could with a metal tool which I really wasn't happy about and then I covered it up with another colour. Does anyone have any suggestions why this happened, it was the same for her toes aswell. The colour was 'I'm not really a waitress' and I used a 36w UV lamp as my OPI LED lamp was on order?? I have another soak off tomorrow and now I'm really concerned incase it happens again because I can't say to a customer 'I can either leave this on patchy or scrape it off and damage your nail' which is what I was coming close to saying. x

I find the better condition the nail is in the harder it is to remove although 15 minutes is quite adequate however I use hair foil and makeup pads as I found the opi removers didn't hold enough acetone.

Are you giving your clients an aftercare sheet. If they are not using cuticle oil then like any sort of polish it will dry out the nail plate. Cuticle oil is not a luxury it is a must.

The only polish which stained was strawberry margarita and again the lady had not used cuticle oil.

Try this xxx

I remoistened the pads with acetone thinking it might be the OPI laquer that wasnt strong enough and still no luck, its making me worry about doing it again and I even rescheduled an appointment to later on through the week because I dont know what I would say if I couldnt get it off again x

Did you use any heat? Did the client have cold hands? Heat makes the break-down process go faster so if your client had cold hands that will very easily explain the time it took.

I use Gelish and always wrap clients hands in a hot towel or mitts or something to warm things up. Even had some sit on their hands if nothing else is available!

Did you use any heat? Did the client have cold hands? Heat makes the break-down process go faster so if your client had cold hands that will very easily explain the time it took.

I use Gelish and always wrap clients hands in a hot towel or mitts or something to warm things up. Even had some sit on their hands if nothing else is available!

Excellent point the op could take a mini hot water bottle and just fill with hot water from the tap. Infact I'm going to do that myself :wink2: xx

A fellow technician once did this to remove my gel polish: after soaking off for 10 minutes, whatever product didn't just slip off, she very GENTLY filed off with a very fine file. It buffed right off very easily. I was horrified when I first saw her do it, but it didin't damage my nails at all.
Sometimes I finish off a removal with a filing block, just to remove any stubborn color, especially if it was a dark or bright color. It seems to be more gentle than scraping it off. I must stress that it is done super gently, especially because the nail itself is a little softer than normal ater soaking, and I wouldn't recommend it every 2 weeks, but it is good for colors that are hard to remove.. . . .just a thought :)

With OPI gelcolor the base coat is the part of the system that soaks off, the colour and top coat are pure gel. That's why after soaking for 10 - 15 mins it almost curls off the nail plate in one lovely big piece! Buffing through the top coat really isn't needed. Did you use the full system?

xx

Latest posts

Back