Organic gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prionace

Akzentz Geek
Reaction score
Hi,
Every once in a while i hear of pleople claming to use "organic gel" and this really stings my mind...
Having studyed organic chemistry, organic by definition is:
Organic matter (or organic material) is matter that has come from a once-living organism; is capable of decay, or the product of decay; or is composed of organic compounds. The definition of organic matter varies upon the subject it is being used for. (wikipedia)

And so being i simply can not see how gels can be organic, they are neither result from living beings or are made of carbon...

How is it that people advertise this so called "organic gel" without it sounding suspicious? Does general public imagine they extract it from some type of plant?

I assume that "organic" is used to give the idea that is less dangerous... But are organic materials safe? Just think of poisonous mushrooms... Not really hum?

Is it just me, or this upsets other nail techs? Are there any diferent opinions out there? Do you belive in organic gels? And why?

It aggravates the living crap outta me.
ESPECIALLy since when I started using uv gel, I was scammed with the first brand that I used, about organic blah blah...
I do NOT like being hoodwinked...

Now, I even get irked seeing the word "organic" in the grocery store and it makes me NUTS how people throw this word around, and consumers 'buy it' think that they're doing better for themselves (I was annoyed by this, this very morning by friend praising her organic cereal:rolleyes:)

I don't understand why the government can't put a stop to this misleading and slightly fraudulent advertising (at least in it's intent).

drives me NUTS

hi hun, just out of curiosity what gels claim to be organic?? iv never heard of this.

Here in Portugal a school called Executive Nails claims to train with organic gel. And mostly it is nail tech claiming their gel is organic.
I just found this at Calbrook Canada - About Calbrook

Calgel is used extensively in the European market and is destined to become the only choice in North America for a superior organic gel nail system that promotes nail health.

Last edited:
Was also delighted to read this at the same site... No comments nedded...

• Being gas permeable, Calgel allows the nail to respire. Although the nail is made up of dead keratin - a non living material - it does however give off moisture and by-product vapours connected with the metabolic activity of the skin under the nail.

• Calgel's respiratory nature allows the nail and finger beneath to remain far more healthy and natural.

EXACTLY what drives me bonkers about those brands, and a few others.....

Like I said, google, and you'll find TONNES of brands that make similar/same claims.

Using scare tactics and misinformation to build a client base is a very sad way to make a living. Not much better than the average con man that gets jailed, in my opinion.

hi hun i googled it there and yes alot of brands popped up..

I would like to hear from the other side aswell...
Aren't there any people here that claim their gel is organic? If so, why?

I'm sure there are, but I'd be surprised if they wanted to get into a debate.
I'm also sure many realize the truth by now, but if they get on with their products and clients are happy........ why change?

I've sent the odd email to the different company making such claims..
Guess what?
No reply.

Big surprise....:rolleyes:

I think as a nail tech if you use an "organic" product it is hard to justify to your more informed client's because as you say "organic" is branded about so liberally everywhere what exactly are you trying to sell and promote. I was once told by a collage tutor that one brand of organic nail gel that she had used was so natural it was totally safe if you licked the uncured nail and swallowed some - not for me thanks.

I guess that as you say, if it is working for you and your clients carry on but I just don't think it really does anyone any favours in the long term as there seems to be a lack of explanation for exactly what "organic" is and what most people assume it to be.

The fact is that all nail products are ORGANIC AS THEY ALL CONTAIN CARBON ... gels, L&P and wraps can all claim to be organic. Doug Schoon makes this point quite clear in his book 'Nail Structure and Product Chemistry'.

So these companies are not really hoodwinking anyone ... they are using clever marketing that seems to work on the public.

Most people THINK that organic means pure and clean and chemical free ... but 'knowledge is power' and WE know the truth which is that everything in this world is made up of chemicals apart from light and electricity. And cow poo is richly organic but could hardly be described as pure and clean :lol:

In Denmark right now theres a lot going on about nailproducts that are mislabelled and dangerous, which make people go oh, better get this organic gel it's better.

Ofcourse the newspapers are spreading the news as if every product is dangerous, not saying which are actually being forbidden.
So yes clever marketing, as the companies have their labelling correct (and so has CND, Ez-flow etc) But nobody want's to know the facts.

A bit frustrating, but hopefully it gets rid of those DIY sets sold, with unlabeled products (which I have seen on ebay too) And fortunately our government states that you are better og going to an educated nailtech....now we just need some laws about quality of training...

Hopefully "hypes" like this do educate people in the end, when they see that the government doesn't forbid the topbrands...

I usually comments (with quote fro Doug's book) when people ask me.... I explain that my gel is organic too, but I don't use it in my marketing, because I don't find i relevant.

Exactly geeg, aplying organic to product containing carbon regardless of their source is a huge controversy focus in organic chemistry. For example a shellfish's shell could be considered inorganic due to lack of carbon while man made urea would be organic...
So even for organic chemistry the concept of organic is not as narrow as one should wish... Leaving gaps and grey areas that these companies use.
Even thow it kind of agravates me whenever i see this word applied i try give my knowlege to the client and i incentivate to think for herself considering those things.

Like always... Don't just belive something because someone told you so... Question yourself... Is it really so? Only that way we can gain true knowlege.

Latest posts

Back