Over it!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

princess fifi

Reaction score
Hello everyone

Sorry to rant and rave.:irked:

I feel like in the last few weeks I have gotten all the clients that have been banned or sacked from other salons, and they have all formed a secret gang and they are now coming to me!

I can't believe it. The rudeness, lies, "can you be fast I have to be somewhere else today", not showing up to appointments, coming late for appointments.

I spend most of my time and days waiting and preparing for nothing, when I could be doing something constructive for my business.

In Australia there are not many home salons, if I mention it is residential some people even say 'oh, I am not sure if i am comfortable with that'. I had one lady that booked in with me and, at the end of the conversation she said I will call you in the morning if I am not coming, well that tells me enough, obviously she is not coming and she didn't come.

I have stated it clearly on my website that it is a home salon, but some people don't read everything on the website so I think some of them are shocked when they end up coming to a house, but hey I offer great treatments and my home is fitted out like a salon most of the clients are shocked when they walk in and see how beautiful it is, but i think some walk away before they even see what I have to offer!

I have lost a bit of faith in people these last few weeks and I feel really upset and depressed.

I don't want it to affect my other treatments because I just feel like i'm over it at the moment. I have put my whole heart into this business and it is giving me grief!

Do you all experience this feeling sometimes or is it just me having a bad run?:irked:

Hi I do sympathise with your situation. I think there has been a stigma about home salons but I think it has got better over the years and I do not find it so apparent now as more and more people work from home.

Do you have pictures of your room on the website? I would also make sure that you have a terms and conditions page setting out cancellation guidelines. On my website (which will be out next month) I have put that clients can book a free consultation so that they can come and see me if they feel slightly awkward. The other thing is to put forward the positives of a home salon - personal attention, less rush etc. Most of all keep a professional front and those clients will realise you are serious about your work.
:hug:

Hello Essentia

Thanks for your advice, I have got a page on etiquette, and that covers cancellations, I should probably get a credit card machine, so that i can have a cancellation fee, the thing is that if the client really can't make it and has a good reason I probably wouldn't do that to them.

I offer free consultations, and I am professional i wear a uniform and a name badge.

I have just gotten a new camera my other broke, its a sony mega something, its so technical it will take me a few days to work it out, I will def put a page of pictures of inside the salon. I think that will help.

Thanks heaps.

Home salons have never been a really big thing in Australia, nor is home visit (mobile) therapists.

Unfortunately much of the public see them as backyard technicians, otherwise they would be good enough to open a "real salon" and pay "real rent", this is just the general consensus.

Many see it as a cheaper version of a salon.
It's unfortunate, but thats the way it seems.

It is slightly better in the UK, but I specifically describe my salon as a Private Salon for this very reason. I also think that people tend not to worry too much about not turning up because they think it won't inconvenience you as you are 'at home' anyway :irked:

Clients who come from word of mouth tend to be better quality in this respect. The worst seem to come from yellow pages (telephone directory).

Keep your chin up and don't let the idiots spoil it for you. :hug:

Unfortunately much of the public see them as backyard technicians, otherwise they would be good enough to open a "real salon" and pay "real rent", this is just the general consensus.

Hi You may have to decide whether you can take this on if these are the perceptions over there. Is it possible to rent? I remember when I visited my husbands family in South Africa - all the respected business were converted houses in residential areas whilst "downtown" gave the perception of being a bit dodgy! Unless you are prepared to crusade against this belief you might be better to join them. :)

I find that where Im located in the UK its very acceptable to be home based. I've got loads of people who prefer to come to my home as they find it a much more relaxed and a non threatening way of receiving a treatment. They know they will only see me and that there will be no intruptions and as Essentia says, they are not rushed as I leave plenty of time between clients.

I also do mobile and find that this has its own benefits too, both for me and clients.

However, I've good friends in Florida (originally from the UK) and they say that home salon's or mobile therapist are not that acceptable there. We were considering moving out there and I was saying how I would plan to carry on what I was doing here, out there. My friend said that I would get loads of work from ex-pats but probably not much if anything at all from the local Floridians. She stated that it would be felt that I was a bit dodgy!

Really surprising how different countries and cultures perceive it.

Karaxxx

Thanks for all your replies.

Thanks femmefan for your words of encouragement.:)

I have always wanted to be a beauty therapist, from a young age. I studied and did my diploma, then worked at various salons to gain experience.

I chose beauty therapy firstly because I love it and secondly to work for myself, that was my ultimate goal.

As I am still young, which is probably part of the problem and I don't have a lot of financial backing to set up in a big way (which by no means shows in my salon I have the best of everything) plus I refuse to get myself into financial strife with investors I have seen that many times before in my career. I see nothing wrong with setting up my business in a home environment. Even the high end spas I have had the privilege of working for, get people like this, I will just have to think of a better way to handle no shows and cancellations etc.

As you say, people are pleasantly surprised when they see your home salon. You just need to get them in the first to give your salon a chance. Could you try running a special offer for new clients to get them in the door?
In Australia home salons are not common and people are not comfortable trying new things. You need to give them a reason to step out of their comfort zone and try something new.

I'm in the same situation as you, but my clients now tell me they wont ever go back to the 'real salons' once they discover the benefits of my home salon.

This is just a small hint, but I have found it really works: When I have a potential client on the phone a lot of them will ask "So, is it a home salon?"
Rather than just saying "Yes it is.", I always reply with "Yes the salon is underneath my house, just come straight down the driveway and come in the glass doors."

I feel this helps the client understand that you do have an actual separate area for work and they are less likely to feel uneasy about going into your home. I know your set-up will be different from mine, but you get the idea.

I hope it all works out for you!

Thanks Alpine for your advice, I will take it on,the treatments on your site look great!:)

Clients that do come to me think its fab, its those that book and that don't show that just get to me, and in the last few weeks it happened to often for my liking.:irked:

I actually think that home salons will become more popular in time, especially considering the "rental crisis" going on over here, the rents are just crazy:eek:

I looked at what nailzoo said about peoples perception. Love your website by the way! :)In your area, our main city, where its very "trendy", peoples perceptions and expectations are different. I know I used to work in a spa on oxford street for a long time :)!

I was a bit concerned with the whole "backyard technician" statement because although there are some unqualified fools posing as beauty therapists etc it should not mean that those who are professional and fully qualified have to suffer and be classified under that umbrella.

So instead of sit here and whine I asked a few people from other forums what they thought of home salons and where they are from? I had a few from America reply and they said they wish they had more home salons over there? So there you go twid, maybe not in florida though, i think it really depends where you live in America this particular person who was really enthusiastic about it was from Ohio. I also got replies from Australians and they were all positive, no negatives at all,so that made me feel better.

I am located in a quiet suburb and clients that come seem to be very happy with my service, so I will continue to do my best and hopefully this no show situation will sort itself out when I put my policies in place properly and do some more advertising.

Thanks for the compliment about my site! I think you'll be fine, it just takes time. If all your clients are happy with the sevice and your salon that's a great sign that you will do well.
Good Luck!

It is slightly better in the UK, but I specifically describe my salon as a Private Salon for this very reason. I also think that people tend not to worry too much about not turning up because they think it won't inconvenience you as you are 'at home' anyway :irked:

Clients who come from word of mouth tend to be better quality in this respect. The worst seem to come from yellow pages (telephone directory).

Keep your chin up and don't let the idiots spoil it for you. :hug:

Yes I agree with you, I'm based in Dublin and work from home. I am so happy I made this move. I think people here think they get better quality and value for money so they like to go to someone like me. I don't ever advertise because the word of mouth is the best add you can have. Just don't give up, if you provide good service and value for money(but not cheap) people will go to you and stick with you.It just takes time. :Grope:

Home salons have never been a really big thing in Australia, nor is home visit (mobile) therapists.

Many see it as a cheaper version of a salon.
It's unfortunate, but thats the way it seems.

Afternoon.
No way, this is simply untrue. :irked: Here in australia we have lots of home and mobile technicians and therapists that are doing a grand job and making megabucks. Home salons are on the increase.Go for it, great idea :idea:i have no doubt you will have a profitable business in no time.:) Beats a small salon with huge rent in an awful scary part of town without parking anyday.
max

Mobile/Home therapists and hairdressers always get a raw deal and I don't get it. If you wanted a personal trainer to come to your home to train you, you'd have to pay double......why then do client expect everything to be cheaper and less business like with therapists????

I would say that generally speaking, the feedback I've heard over the years is that clients actually like going to a salon for a bit of escape.

Just be confident and firm with these people. If they mess you arround more than once, either choose not to see them or say in a friendly way 'Now you're not going to let me down again are you Sue....as this is how I make my living'. Or 'I know that your schedule is a bit tight Sue, so rather than cancel at the last minute, would you like to take a chance and call me on the day, but I can't guarantee that I'll be able to fit you in'.
xxx

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful and great advice i really appreciate it :)

Thanks Max for your comments, I agree that home and mobile treatments are on the increase. My mother used to visit a home salon, when I was very young and I always used to go with her and sit and watch the treatment, that was years ago, :eek: so for me it has always been normal.

Thanks Kim, I agree with you, I will take note of your advice.:)

It is "normal" for some ..... and there are those that wouldn't dream of it.

It's their problem really, I've watched the industry grow and change for many, many years.

Maybe home salons will catch on in AUS eventually.

Julia says it all in the first few seconds of this video
http://www.nailzoo.com/backyard.wmv

Thanks, That video made me smile,:lol::lol::lol:
Thank God for the kaths and kims of this world for a bit of comical relief!

Thanks everyone for all your replies, business has been running smoothly since my first post, all your comments and advice have been really helpful!:)

Latest posts

Back