Over-use of reputation points

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hi l o l

if theres a red square its negative if theres a green one its positive hth xx

Guys... lets all chill on this. Half the time the points are given out on accident (ie were supposed to be positive).

The system cant be taken advantage of very easily and it take a crap load of points to make any difference either way. You can also disable reputation in your Control Panel... that way you cant get negative or positive.

Don't take it to heart mate - I don't even look at that stuff - I just read the posts I'm interested in and the replies.

If I don't agree I disregard the reply, if I do I either say so or implement it in my life - I don't think anyone is really interested in whether I agree with them or not and if I think they're great or not!!

Thinking about it, I think it's an unfair system, for instance, it doesn't interest me, so I wouldn't have thought about giving points to someone if they gave me a fab idea. It doesn't mean their idea isn't fantastic or that they don't deserve them!

We get judged enough in life - somewhere where we are not would be nice :D

I was just thinking GMG, i know i dont do it often, but how about keeping just reward points, so if someone is happy with a post or found it a lot of help you can give rewards. that way no one can give negative by mistake, everyone's happy. All negative stuff as was said before should be kept in PM's.:D

The Nail Geek said:
Guys... lets all chill on this. Half the time the points are given out on accident (ie were supposed to be positive).

The system cant be taken advantage of very easily and it take a crap load of points to make any difference either way. You can also disable reputation in your Control Panel... that way you cant get negative or positive.
I didnt know that i could disable reputation points: how do i do that and i will do it now. As far as giving out a negative rather than a positive, i cant see how anybody could do that in error coz it defaults to "approve" not "disapprove" and there's no way that the comment that was put on mine was an accident! I have to disagree with you on this one, Sam: its not relevant whether the reputation points may a difference or not, its the fact that its unkind and unnecessary. Some people are sensitive and some people arent!

Hi Caz, i have just found it - man since the layout changed i have real difficulty chasing the replies on the threads they seem to lead off everywhere!! I still cant see what would make someone give you a negative point - also i take it you dont know who issued it which i think can seem a bit off - definately agree with Caz and Wendy there shouldnt be a chance to give you negative points it just spurs up a lot of unneccesary friction and unfortunately imo seems to stopping people from posting etc i think some things are better left unsaid or a PM x

Hardly ever get any reputation altho last week one or two decided to award me some + points (surprise!!) Thank you, thank you.

One thing is, that people can't abuse this because they can only give + or - rep once to the same person. So no one person can be gunning for you.
Forget it.

However is does state somewhere that posts like 'thank you' and little funnies and things that are not of general interest to ALL (on the main board) who read, should be sent in PM's. There was absolutely nothing wrong with your post, but strictly speaking it should probably be a pm rather than part of the thread. And before you ask It wasn't me.

Someone gave me negative rep for just saying I liked the large images on a web site??? Which I do, cause I can see them better. My opinion. Certainly wasn't offensive and was answering the question on the thread ... I also know who it was who gave me them even tho it wasn't signed ... lets not have the pot calling the kettle black :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't disable yer rep point Carole - I've just sent ya a 'rep hug' to make up for the nasty one! *LOL*

Then disable it. You used to think the system was fab (at least I assume so based on the amount you use it) and yes, people do accidentally give negative reputation.

The system is next to impossible to abuse (just use accidentally) and is invaluable to the site. It is an excellent tool to be able let someone know what you think of them and their post without flamming them or being intimidated that you cant let them know what you think. If you think its pants... nothing stops you from hiding it.

Feel happy, because of this thread it looks like you got those reputation points that were taken away back. Thats why it's also called a Karma system... what comes around goes around :D

The Nail Geek said:
Then disable it. You used to think the system was fab (at least I assume so based on the amount you use it) and yes, people do accidentally give negative reputation.

The system is next to impossible to abuse (just use accidentally) and is invaluable to the site. It is an excellent tool to be able let someone know what you think of them and their post without flamming them or being intimidated that you cant let them know what you think. If you think its pants... nothing stops you from hiding it.

Feel happy, because of this thread it looks like you got those reputation points that were taken away back. Thats why it's also called a Karma system... what comes around goes around :D
Please tell me how to disable as i cant do it.

Carole Lindsay said:
Please tell me how to disable as i cant do it.
Go to
Quick links
Edit options
untick the show my reputaion level box this disables rep points

HTH

I've looked in control panel but can't find my reputation points???

Nailsinlondon1 said:
Go to
Quick links
Edit options
untick the show my reputaion level box this disables rep points

HTH
Thank you for your help Ruth.

Whats the big deal?

I can't see what it was you said that could possibly offend someone!

I thought it was quite funny to be honest Carole.

This also strikes a nerve with me, as I received a negative point for a post in the "Are Paraffin Dips Sanitary?" thread. And whoever sent it did not even put a comment (but I know who it was). We can all say that it's better to deal with issues in PM's, but when it all boils down to it, SOME people (not all!) will be cowards and rather give you a negative point, than to deal with it person to person in a PM. I don't have a problem with the system, but it would be nice if the person left a message so you can know why you peeved them. Some people are sensitive, and read things the wrong way, and it'd be nice to have a chance to clarify. Oh well, just my two cents.

To keep clarifying and to drive the pointh home that some are still not getting.

The Main board (the general forum) is often times being used as if some of you were sending text messages to each other. That is not the purpose of the main board. The purpose of the main board is to have intelligent discussions about nails, the nail business, teaching of nail tech information etc etc.

If someone on the main board posts a particularly interesting or helpful bit of info. PM them to say thank you or award them some reputation points ... try not to clutter up the general forum with things like ... thanks for that! or ... that's really helped! or other similar comments. Instead thank the person with points or send a pm. Everyone likes to be thanked but just do it in the best way for the site.

The chit chat forum is much more relaxed and you can do more text type of messages there. Does this shed some light on maybe why Carol's comment was given negative rep?? There was nothing wrong with what she said, but in my opinion it would have been better in a pm. Obviously it was someone Else's opinion too.

Ooooh! Just found mine!! Didn't know it was there. Thank you to the nice things some people have written.

:D

Marian

wow, thats a really silly reason to give out a negative!

I have one negative, and i think i deserved it! I didn't look at what i wrote and i worded it all wrong, and it was taken the wrong way, so when i found out i was so ashamed at how mean i had sounded so i straight away pm'd the person and apologised until i could apologise no more, I hope she forgives me!!!!

mum said:
Ooooh! Just found mine!! Didn't know it was there. Thank you to the nice things some people have written.

:D

Marian
Glad I'm in good company........some date back to the begining of the year:eek:

Like I say.......'Dizzy Dellie' :o

luckybird21 said:
wow, thats a really silly reason to give out a negative!

I have one negative, and i think i deserved it! I didn't look at what i wrote and i worded it all wrong, and it was taken the wrong way, so when i found out i was so ashamed at how mean i had sounded so i straight away pm'd the person and apologised until i could apologise no more, I hope she forgives me!!!!
Hey Luckbird ... I am going to give you negative rep if you don't remove that flashing THING from your messages !!! It is doing my head in.
Are you a violent type by any chance??? You seemed so sweet to me!!
If I was prone to epilepsy I think i would be on the floor now from all that flashing.

I am meaning to be funny, but please take it away?? Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back