Overweight in the beauty industry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a size 16, but tbh I know that I look pretty damn good so I couldn't care less about being overweight! I have a 36DD chest, 32inch waist and 46inch hips so I do get away with having a very Dita Von Teese with extra jiggle kinda thing..

Clients feel comfortable around me because I'm friendly, not because of my weight. I feel that weight should be irrelevant to beauty, and the relevance of your appearance should lie in your hair, nails, makeup and skin. You can be beautiful no matter what size you are, as long as you make the effort.

Size zero is not my hero!

It's all been said really. If anything being a "traditionally built lady" can be a real asset. Plus, your skin is likely to look healthier than someone on a very low fat diet.
If energy levels are being affected then losing some weight is probably necessary.
Grooming, for any therapist, along with a confident, welcoming smile, is the most important visual image.

Haha Tanfastic totally agree - I always hide behind my hair when out in public not looking my best, especially on a Sunday morning doing the emergency milk run!! Love the ugly twin idea... :D

I don't know quite how overweight we're all talking here, but to be completely honest - I would find an unhealthily overweight therapist to be offputting. When I was applying for jobs I came across a lovely looking spa, but when I saw in photos that the two owners were obese, it changed my mind about applying. I think it goes against everything I've learnt about healthy living over the years at college.

I don't mean any offense whatsoever, but thought it would be worth throwing my opinion in there since no one else seems to have touched on that side of the argument! It's obviously a personal thing though. I wouldn't assume that an overweight therapist was bad at her job, but there's definitely something there that I just don't agree with.

I totally agree its not about the size its about there health etc and i would expect some one to follow that if thats what they promote x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

It's all been said really. If anything being a "traditionally built lady" can be a real asset. Plus, your skin is likely to look healthier than someone on a very low fat diet.
If energy levels are being affected then losing some weight is probably necessary.
Grooming, for any therapist, along with a confident, welcoming smile, is the most important visual image.

But not every naturally slim women is on a low fat diet, i think this thread is a bit contradicting if weight does not matter why the big issue and comments like being bigger is an advantage etc.. At the end of the day it does not really matter if you are slim or over weight as long as you are healthy and damn good at your job thats all that matters :) x

Actually, I find my being overweight (and over 40!) is a bonus. Clients feel comfortable with me whilst they are standing there bollock-naked bar a pair of paper knickers. It's like they imagine I would not look better than them in their position.

I'm bigger, it shouldn't matter. I find spraytan clients are more at ease with me as they don't feel I'm judging them. I have pcos so weight is hard to shift. With massage it's actually a advantage as you use body weight to get deeper or apply stronger pressure. I have loads of clients who come to me to feel better not because I look a certain way. Although so dress professionally and my rooms are well set up. I'm just about to do my Cert 4 in beauty as I've been doing treatments in salon for years but only trained in salon. I have heaps of potential clients already just because I'm approcable, do a good job and am professional. Unfortunately there are people who see fat as lazy etc. I work harder than most people has been said by lots of managers in lots of different jobs. Small minded people will always excist find some that don't judge and you will be fine.

Hi Angie, I am 38 and only started in the industry 8 months ago, ok I am a size 12, but what I have noticed is us maturer ladies have good general knowledge and experience and can hold a good conversation. I recently had a pedicure at a salon (treated myself) and it was done by an 18 year old student in training, she did a great job don't get me wrong but the conversation was nil, and every time I asked her a question, it was "yes" or "no" that was it! So yes I do think you can be successful in this industry!

Reactions: Deb
I am a size 22. I've been in the beauty industry since I was 15. I have always been overweight and never come across any problems when it comes to this issue. It has never affected my job and why should it? I eat healthy and exercise. It's just the way I am. My doctor says im healthy. Just like some people are tall and some ate short. So I do take offence when I am judged on my size and not what I can do

If anything woman will feel more comfortable around you I know personally when I have a treatment I feel quite vulnerable and embarrassed if I have a beautiful skinny girl, it's no offence to them that's just my own insecurities.

I'm just so glad this topic has come up, it's made me feel alot better about things :)

But not every naturally slim women is on a low fat diet, i think this thread is a bit contradicting if weight does not matter why the big issue and comments like being bigger is an advantage etc.. At the end of the day it does not really matter if you are slim or over weight as long as you are healthy and damn good at your job thats all that matters :) x

I absolutely agree that not every slim woman eats little fat - I was lucky enough to be able to eat anything and stay skinny till I got to 40. Not so now, though :sad:
However, most weight loss diets advocate low or very low fat intake. When these ladies come to me for facials I can usually tell.
I think weight DOES matter, if it is a health issue, either for the clinically obese or indeed dangerously underweight. Health issues can affect performance.
But as to being overweight otherwise being a disadvantage in beauty? I think some clients can actually feel more comfortable, and in those cases it's an advantage.

I absolutely agree that not every slim woman eats little fat - I was lucky enough to be able to eat anything and stay skinny till I got to 40. Not so now, though :sad:
However, most weight loss diets advocate low or very low fat intake. When these ladies come to me for facials I can usually tell.
I think weight DOES matter, if it is a health issue, either for the clinically obese or indeed dangerously underweight. Health issues can affect performance.
But as to being overweight otherwise being a disadvantage in beauty? I think some clients can actually feel more comfortable, and in those cases it's an advantage.

Couldnt agree more, x

I don't think size has anything to do with how comfortable you make someone feel!
I'm a size 8 and I'm sure clients feel just as comfortable around me this size as they would if I was size 18!
It's all about looking well groomed, smiling, being confident and friendly.
Size is irrelevant!xx

Is not the fat or the skinny to make you a good person with a lovely personality. You are who you are no metter the size. And who you are will reflect on your work no metter what you do.

I am a size 18 now, I used to be a size 10 before having kids and a thyroid disfunction, but what Ive learned over 10 years struggling with my weight is no metter if you are skinny or fat is important to be true to yourself and also when you are happy with who you are then you will be glowing and other people notice this as reflects on your life and work. Accept who you are to be accepted by others.

1 kg of fat or more should not stay between a good service to your costumers. They aint there to judge your clothes size but the work you perform.

I don't think size has anything to do with how comfortable you make someone feel!
I'm a size 8 and I'm sure clients feel just as comfortable around me this size as they would if I was size 18!
It's all about looking well groomed, smiling, being confident and friendly.
Size is irrelevant!xx

You're right Lucy, I went for a spray tan years ago when granted I was less confident in myself but the skinny-minnie's in the salon didn't make me feel great and I felt uncomfortable getting tanned. God that salon was awful all round actually! Anyway..I'm sure if they had had better customer service I would've felt great but it was more their lack of welcoming approach that was the problem, and I attributed it to their 'perfect' image. Other tans since (with attractive, slim therapists) have been fine!

Again, I agree.

Personality and warmth are paramount, but some clients who have weight issues can be embarrassed when taking their clothes off, in any situation, and because of their perception- not through the fault of the therapist -just prefer a larger lady.

I am perhaps not expressing myself well; I've got nothing against size 8s honestly!:)

I agree, Lucy. I would hope that client's would be just as comfortable around me as they would be around an overweight therapist!

But for long term health and well being the facts are that being slimmer is better

all that extra weight combined with the job of a therapist is not good for the body - especially the back and heart

and as most of us work for ourselves we have to invest into our bodies and health as much as we do our businesses

from the clients perspective - for everyone that feels better because their therapist is fat there are many more looking and wondering how we can promote wellbeing when we dont look after ourselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back