Overweight in the beauty industry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve watched this thread with much interest as this has been discussed on SG before. My view is as follows:

In the past and in my younger days, to be accepted I thought being slim was the only way you got accepted, naive I know. I watched my weight and exercised frantically to keep it manageable and to “fit in” and made myself poorly in the process. I wasn’t in this industry then. However, due to medical problems and getting older I’ve had to learn to live with my current stature. Although not fat, (terrible word I know), I am considered, in medical terms, to be overweight but I am in proportion. I have a few wobbly bits but on the whole consider myself to be cuddly.

When you start heading towards 40 with the menopause around the corner even the skinny ones will put on weight and struggle to keep it off.

We read constantly about body images from skinny to large and I believe this doesn’t help any industry but particularly ours. We are programmed to believe that being a size 0 is the be all and end all but in reality most people cannot achieve or sustain it. I feel that when you reach a certain age you are more accepting of people’s frame and size. I’m not being ageist here either, before I get shot down lol.

In terms of how we work, being professional, respectful and caring should be paramount, whatever your size.

Finally, as my Dad said when we started the business and looking for staff, “Remember Debbie, a lot of ladies have body issues, you cannot help them with that but try to employ people who are a little softer around the edges and with a personality to match”.

Scales-gravity.jpg

therapists cannot expect to only work on the young and beautiful.
It can be useful to be reminded that it is not all about you the therapist, it is about how the client feels, and sometimes an older or more flawed therapist can be more popular than a big lashed, size 6 oompaloompa.

love!!!

Amy - join slimming world you'll get loads of help and support - i know its hard, you're right theres very little for over eaters but slimming world is good

Thanks I was thinking of joining soon, I have started walking as well just because I want to be healthy and fit to do the job! lol

but my point is about health and welbeing and as a therapist the extra weight is not good for our health
But Beauty Therapists are not health or wellbeing therapists :?:

I'm a curvy 22, I say curvy as I've boobs, hips and waist in all the right places.
I may be classed as humungeous by some of the therapists on here but I don't care, I'm a gymnastic coach 6 days a week, three of my groups (in one day) are preschool so lots of running around, lifting, throwing, bending and stretching throughout the whole week.
I also chase after my toddler and grandchildren yet my body weight and size remain the same.

I like to think I'm the fittest fat bird you'll find ;)

My size nor weight get in the way of my nails work, only my other job commitments do that.

Not every large therapist is that size due to laziness nor does it affect their work.

I haven't read the whole thread but most of it.

I would hate to think my clients don't want to come to me because they see me as "skinny". I think they should be aware that I am not there to judge and wouldn't dream of discussing a clients weight or slagging them off for it. I am very approachable, friendly and what the hell has my weight got to do with anything here?

I think your "skinny therapist" might envy your curves. Your big boobs, your curvy hips. I think if you are lying on the bed feeling inadequate then that is your own concerns and you shouldn't make someone feel bad because they are slim.

I think we should all try and feel comfortable In our own skin. I know everyone has a fat day but if your not happy about your body, change it. If your too embarrassed to let a skinny girl tan you, lose weight as your clearly not happy with your body. I know sometimes we can all feel a bit fat but to say you wouldn't go to someone because of that even If they were the best therapist ever is a joke and pretty small minded.

I'm a size 16, but tbh I know that I look pretty damn good so I couldn't care less about being overweight! I have a 36DD chest, 32inch waist and 46inch hips so I do get away with having a very Dita Von Teese with extra jiggle kinda thing..

Clients feel comfortable around me because I'm friendly, not because of my weight. I feel that weight should be irrelevant to beauty, and the relevance of your appearance should lie in your hair, nails, makeup and skin. You can be beautiful no matter what size you are, as long as you make the effort.

Size zero is not my hero!

I agree with what you said here. Good for you. Clients should feel comfortable because of your personality. Weight should be irrelevant.

To balance this, not all slim therapists (or skinny Minnie's as a lot call them) are shallow, self obsessed people who look down their noses at anyone remotely overweight. They are just as warm, friendly and professional as the overweight ones and they too do not deserve to be judged on their size either.

Thanks I was thinking of joining soon, I have started walking as well just because I want to be healthy and fit to do the job! lol

thats class amy well done, yes go for it with slimming world and you're right the job is much easier to do as a slimmer person - extra weight is a killer on the back - find a nice friendly group and you wont look back amy - just make sure and go and stay for meetings - its good because it helps control over eating

I'm a size 14 (was 18 but been dieting as getting married). I go up and down all the time, done every diet and have always struggled but I went down to a size 10 a few years ago and it really didn't suit me. Anyway I would love to be a "skinny mini" or whatever but yes my clients like me because "I'm normal" apparently. The majority of them don't want to go into a salon full of slim, young, beautiful girls. I'm a bit like that myself actually. If I was employing someone it wouldn't be on how they look.

my clients like me because "I'm normal" apparently. The majority of them don't want to go into a salon full of slim, young, beautiful girls. I'm a bit like that myself actually.

But that's judgemental of the slim girls! They might be fantastic at their jobs but you won't give them a chance coz they're slim! Being " sizeist" works both ways and slim girls get it in the neck just as much as overweight ones.

But that's judgemental of the slim girls! They might be fantastic at their jobs but you won't give them a chance coz they're slim! Being " sizeist" works both ways and slim girls get it in the neck just as much as overweight ones.

Could not agree more.

So as well as judging slim therapists your now saying it's not normal? Perhaps what you meant to say was average?

I think at the end of the day there may be people who don't feel comfortable with slim or larger ladies! I myself would not care as long as she looked presentable, was friendly and good at her job but like I said you will always have some people with views either way x x

Tbh, that may be true in the majority of cases but not everyone's weight is due to lifestyle choice. Many health conditions can cause things like water retention, increased appetite and weight gain. Not to mention birth control or mental health issues like depression.

I choose to be my size because I love eating and do minimal exercise, to put it bluntly, I happily admit it. But I am MUCH more attractive than lots of slimmer people that I know. I love myself too much to deprive myself of the things I crave, for all I know I could be struck down by a bus tomorrow! I enjoy life and I bloody well enjoy my food. I know people can take that to extremes but then depriving yourself of food can also lead to other extremes (anorexia, bulimia etc)

Oh, and I do take care of myself actually. My skin, hair, nails, eyebrows and lashes, makeup etc are always immaculate and I know I look great.

Weight means sweet fanny adams in my eyes and I really pity anyone who genuinely cares about weight to the extent that they automatically judge someone because of their weight because that is not only shallow and small-minded but really petty too.

Omg and why would you say your much more attractive than 'skinny girls' imagine if i said it the other way round they would be uproar, if weight etc does not matter why are you making a point of it?
The fact is quite true weight means alot its about your health nobody is judging over weight people just stating facts and them same goes for the under weight women who diet for no reason.
At end of the day each to there own as long as your good at your job is all that matters weight is irrelevant

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I haven't read the whole thread but most of it.

I would hate to think my clients don't want to come to me because they see me as "skinny". I think they should be aware that I am not there to judge and wouldn't dream of discussing a clients weight or slagging them off for it. I am very approachable, friendly and what the hell has my weight got to do with anything here?

I think your "skinny therapist" might envy your curves. Your big boobs, your curvy hips. I think if you are lying on the bed feeling inadequate then that is your own concerns and you shouldn't make someone feel bad because they are slim.

I think we should all try and feel comfortable In our own skin. I know everyone has a fat day but if your not happy about your body, change it. If your too embarrassed to let a skinny girl tan you, lose weight as your clearly not happy with your body. I know sometimes we can all feel a bit fat but to say you wouldn't go to someone because of that even If they were the best therapist ever is a joke and pretty small minded.

Very good words :)

Agree :)

Well I'll be 49 this September, I've been a nail tech since 2005 and added bits and bobs along the way.
Then last September I started my BTEC beauty therapy course at MK college.
Most of the girls are 17 ish and then there are 3 in their 20's
A lot of the clients are middle aged and some of them are pensioners. With regard to age, we can all see the nervous client who relaxes when they see me. I also don't seem to get the rude clients.
A lady who came in for a full body massage with me was an absolute sweet heart, a week later when she had one of the young girls for a pedicure she drove the poor girl to tears. So there's one advantage to age and life experience.
Over weight. Yep, hands up that's me, most things I'm fine but I would hate to be put in the position of having to do more than one massage with out a couple of hours doing something less strenuous. And I know if I got a muscular guy in I'd be a laughing stock. My son is very fit, very active and when I tried to give him a massage I ended up with my head between my knees looking at all the black spots in front of my eyes. Is that my age, my weight or my disability? Probably a bit of all three. One of the other girls on our course is a big girl, she doesn't seem to have the same problem, but she doesn't have any health issues yet either.
Grooming. Yep, my uniform is always clean and pressed, make up perfect, nails and hair the same and I wear a scentless deodorant and use a body spray that matches my perfume through out the day. I also brush my teeth a couple of times a day.
I have never heard anyone say they didn't want to be seen by me because of my size I've often found that my appearance gives a client confidence. I have however seen one of our male clients tell the tutor that there was no way he was letting the stick insect give him a back massage because he wouldn't feel it. Well the student is tiny so he kind of had a point although our tutor isn't much taller and definitely isn't a big person and I know how strong she is :D So, take time to stay fit, make sure you always look well groomed and don't worry about it. You'll be fine x

Omg and why would you say your much more attractive than 'skinny girls' imagine if i said it the other way round they would be uproar, if weight etc does not matter why are you making a point of it?
The fact is quite true weight means alot its about your health nobody is judging over weight people just stating facts and them same goes for the under weight women who diet for no reason.
At end of the day each to there own as long as your good at your job is all that matters weight is irrelevant

You should re read what she wrote, she said she is more attractive than SOME of the skinny girls.
I don't think any of us would have to think long before coming up with someone we know, or have seen on t.v. who may have the 21st century definition of a perfect body but she still has a face like the back end of a bus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back