Overweight in the beauty industry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had treatments by therapists of all ages, shapes and sizes, I even had my underarms and legs waxed this week by a 17 year old who was finishing off her assessments, she was tiny and in no way made me feel uncomfortable, she said that I had lovely skin and wished that her own hair was as fine as mine (and easy to wax) she was lovely, and very professional and will do very well when she starts work, I'm a curvier lady (size 16) and the biggest in my class at college.

No matter what size we are we should all remember that clients look to us for inspiration, as long as we look well groomed and are professional that's all that matters :)

I love this post! I am overweight myself (around 13 stone and 5'3) and work with a lot of skinny therapists which makes me very self conscious! I'm also getting married in a few weeks and I was going to try and lose some weight but then I thought what's the point if I don't look like the person that everyone knows me as? I find it lovely that there are other therapists that aren't the look of 'perfection' like they portray in the news and all that jazz...THANK YOU LADIES!!!

Leanne
X

Omg and why would you say your much more attractive than 'skinny girls' imagine if i said it the other way round they would be uproar, if weight etc does not matter why are you making a point of it?

Ummmm... Couple of things here.

1. Never said 'skinny girls', if you would actually read my post I said 'slimmer girls' :)

2. I never said I was more attractive than the 'skinny girls', I said I'm more attractive than many of the slimmer girls I know. Not all of them. Just many. ;)

3. I'm not the only person making a point of weight, so please don't comment just to me but also the other people commenting on this thread.

Please read my post properly before
jumping to conclusions, thanks! x

You should re read what she wrote, she said she is more attractive than SOME of the skinny girls.
I don't think any of us would have to think long before coming up with someone we know, or have seen on t.v. who may have the 21st century definition of a perfect body but she still has a face like the back end of a bus!

Thankyou! <3

You should re read what she wrote, she said she is more attractive than SOME of the skinny girls.
I don't think any of us would have to think long before coming up with someone we know, or have seen on t.v. who may have the 21st century definition of a perfect body but she still has a face like the back end of a bus!

I love this...made me giggle so much, back end of a bus, hahahahahaha!

Leanne
X

No sorry it's not me who's saying that about being "normal". That's what people have said to me. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing though! Lol! I would like to be slim and I am an over eater. Love my food! What I'm saying is I feel self conscience and uncomfortable say getting a spray tan from a beautiful/skinny girl. That's my problem not theirs but can relate to what they are saying.

I can't believe that this is really an issue to people. Weight = non-issue!!

I would never stand in front of someone and let myself feel inferior, no matter what they look like. I've been brought up to love myself for who I am and accept my flaws but not be engulfed by them.

Some people are fat, some are thin. Everyone is different, and everyone and I mean EVERYONE is beautiful in their own way..

This world would be a heck of a lot more pleasant if people just blooming well realised that! Love yourself no matter what because everyone is born beautiful x

I've been brought up with my dad telling me he's going to have to roll me down the street soon! Lol!
Seriously though I know what you're saying and I agree but I just don't have your confidence. Working on it though!
To the op, I don't think your size matters as long as you are presentable, good with people and good at your job :) x

Last edited:
I've been brought up with my dad telling me he's going to have to roll me down the street soon! Lol!
Seriously though I know what you're saying and I agree but I just don't have your confidence. Working on it though!
To the op, I don't think your size matters as long as you are presentable, good with people and good at your job :) x

I hope he's joking?! Lol
I know that people don't always have confidence, but it's great your working on it. I hate parents that are bad to children about their weight, it's the height of nastiness! Talk about a confidence killer, when your parents are basically saying your inadequate because of your weight it's no wonder we have conditions like anorexia and bulimia.

I can't wait to have children so I can tell them that they are beautiful no matter what and I hope that we all tell our children that instead of putting them down and having another generation of eating disorders x

No he's not joking! He just tells me how it is. I don't get upset about it because I'm used to it. I know he's right too because it isn't healthy for me. I'm saying for me because everyone is different. Since i've lost that couple of stone recently I do feel much better. But I don't think clients think any less of you because of your size.

P.s I can't wait to have children too! I will tell them they are beautiful everyday! :) x

No he's not joking! He just tells me how it is. I don't get upset about it because I'm used to it. I know he's right too because it isn't healthy for me. I'm saying for me because everyone is different. Since i've lost that couple of stone recently I do feel much better. But I don't think clients think any less of you because of your size.

well done, you've done great at the weight loss, keep going girl and the confidence will come with it!

I would never stand in front of someone and let myself feel inferior, no matter what they look like. I've been brought up to love myself for who I am and accept my flaws but not be engulfed by them.

Some people are fat, some are thin. Everyone is different, and everyone and I mean EVERYONE is beautiful in their own way..

This world would be a heck of a lot more pleasant if people just blooming well realised that! Love yourself no matter what because everyone is born beautiful x

I love this attitude -good for you girl! Give me some of your attitude!xx

Your very right and your attitude is great. If only these clients who "feel uncomfortable" would feel the same way as you do.

We're not here to judge. I don't care what my client looks like.

It really does not matter on your size, it's how you make clients feel. My clients have seen me go to 14 stone being pregnant, then down to 8 stone, all in 10 months, I really do not think that being at my biggest made a difference to my clients. I lost so much weight from having an over active thyroid. We can't all control weight just be happy with yourself an that will make a difference.

But you are coming across as waving the flag for the overweight and looking down your nose at the slim girls! You say you would "never stand in front of someone and let yourself feel inferior" yet you also say in your other post you are "much more attractive than some slimmer girls you know" thus trying to make THEM feel inferior!

Last edited:
I hate parents that are bad to children about their weight, it's the height of nastiness! Talk about a confidence killer, when your parents are basically saying your inadequate because of your weight it's no wonder we have conditions like anorexia and bulimia.

I can't wait to have children so I can tell them that they are beautiful no matter what and I hope that we all tell our children that instead of putting them down and having another generation of eating disorders x

But when you have children you will want them to be HEALTHY, you will want them to be able to run around and not get out of puff because they are overweight and unfit. You will not want them to get picked on at school because they are overweight and unfit. You will not want them to be storing up health problems in later life by being overweight.

If parents worry over their children's weight it is not "the height of nastiness" but I would say the height of being a responsible, loving parent.

Can I just point out one thing please - I am starting to feel a bit offended by those who call us- size 8 girls names in this thread - "skinny Minnie's , stick insects etc... I really don't like the sound of it and you have no right to call us names just because we are slim! Maybe we have our own issues as well!

We don't use the word "fat" because you would feel offended straight away!
So I would really appreciate if you stopped calling us - slim girls names because we feel offended as well!!

Last edited:
I am young, fat lard. And i dont give a s**t. The real beauty lyes within.:lick:

I am over weight and it doesnt seem to bother any of my clients. It does happen to be a plus when i do spray tanning... Customers are always going to judge as it is a natural thing for humans to do. There will be those who assume that the skinny girls dont eat enough or have a poor diet and those who think over weight girls arent competant or have a poor diet. I think when staff or colleagues are judging with out due cause then that is called prejudice and can be a very serious matter. All the best in your career, worry less about others and focus on doing your best job for your clients x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back