Overweight in the beauty industry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I just point out one thing please - I am starting to feel a bit offended by those who call us- size 8 girls names in this thread - "skinny Minnie's , stick insects etc... I really don't like the sound of it and you have no right to call us names just because we are slim! Maybe we have our own issues as well!

We don't use the word "fat" because you would feel offended straight away!
So I would really appreciate if you stopped calling us - slim girls names because we feel offended as well!!

Yes ! I have people say 'god your skinny ' yet if I went 'god. Your a fatty ' I'd be hissed at ! Double standards me thinks !

But you are coming across as waving the flag for the overweight and looking down your nose at the slim girls! You say you would "never stand in front of someone and let yourself feel inferior" yet you also say in your other post you are "much more attractive than some slimmer girls you know" thus trying to make THEM feel inferior!

This is your interpretation, which you are perfectly entitled to but this is NOT my intention at all and I'm not quite sure how you perceived this.

I'm waving the flag for everyone who doesn't give in to society's idea that all women should hate their bodies. Fat or thin, everyone is different and it really means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not making anyone feel inferior, I'm saying we are equal no matter who weighs less or more and that I wouldn't feel inferior to anyone when it comes to weight or appearances. In return would hope that no one would feel inferior to me. Hope this clears that up for you.

I feel that I've made my point quite clear and people are obviously reading into what I'm saying too much and drawing their own conclusions which are frankly wrong!

But when you have children you will want them to be HEALTHY, you will want them to be able to run around and not get out of puff because they are overweight and unfit. You will not want them to get picked on at school because they are overweight and unfit. You will not want them to be storing up health problems in later life by being overweight.

If parents worry over their children's weight it is not "the height of nastiness" but I would say the height of being a responsible, loving parent.

Of course I want them to be healthy.
Healthy mentally, emotionally and physically. I'd encourage them to be healthy of course but I would never make them feel crap because of their appearance or weight! I never said that worrying is the height of nastiness, that's perfectly normal. I said that commenting on their weight in a derogatory manner is.

Imagine if everyone in this world was the same size build etc. how boring would that be!!! Everyone comes in different shapes and sizes.

I'm 5ft 1 and a size 6/8. I honestly feel offended at times when people ask if I'm anorexic or ask if i ever eat, especially when I probably eat more than others but this is how I was made. I would never go up to anyone who was overweight and ask how much do you eat to get that size. In fact it would never enter my mind. There are some overweight persons out there who hardly eat or eat normal portions but gain weight easily. But there are also persons who over eat.

It's the same for slimmer people. Some eat normal, some eat more but never gain weight just like myself. But yes there are people who do not eat.

I was at my GP recently for an mot lol and the nurse was not overweight but obese. Tbh I never even noticed this not until she told me my diet contained too many calories. I felt so hurt I was nearly in tears but after I left I thought she obviously sees herself as perfect and there's nothing wrong with that, she is obviously happy in her own skin so why am I to judge. At times I am happy but sometimes I wish I could put on weight. I have to accept that this may never happen. I'm 43 now and honestly do not know how much I weigh. I do know that the heaviest I have been is 8 stone when I was 9 months pregnant, reached a size 10 or age 15/16 in children's clothes lol.

What I'm saying is for the people who are overweight and not happy then only you can do something to change that. For those who are overweight and happy then good for you but please do not call us slimmer girls names as it hurts....a lot

I'm not looking my nose down at a "skinny" person. I want to be like them! Lol! Serious though the girl who does my nails has a stunning figure and I would feel fine getting say a spray tan from her but I am comfortable with her. Some people feel inferior and it's their problem not the therapists. I can be one of these people I'm ashamed to say! X

Completely forgot about all the comments I used to receive when under weight until reading that last post! "aww I would just need to take you in and feed you" eh I'm slim not a stray cat?! "are you ill?" "you must have hollow legs or something".

It almost seems to some that it is acceptable to make these comments to a slim person but it hurts just as much.

If you are worried about your weight affecting your health and career then you should make changes but if you are worried about others perception of you I would say don't, clients are the ones who are in a vulnerable state of undress (at times) when they come to you so if they need to feel judgemental about your size to make them feel better or whatever then that is their issue.

Good luck! :)

Lindsey x

You should re read what she wrote, she said she is more attractive than SOME of the skinny girls.
I don't think any of us would have to think long before coming up with someone we know, or have seen on t.v. who may have the 21st century definition of a perfect body but she still has a face like the back end of a bus!

In response to your last couple of lines, reminds me of a phrase i once heard my sister say about her ex's new girlfriend..

shes got a body off baywatch face off crimewatch
pmsl x

Aye for some reason it's acceptable to tell someone they are skinny but you can't tell someone they are fat. I had a client in with her son (nightmare child!) and on the way out he said to me "see you later fatty!" lol! Didn't know wether to laugh or cry!

Aye for some reason it's acceptable to tell someone they are skinny but you can't tell someone they are fat. I had a client in with her son (nightmare child!) and on the way out he said to me "see you later fatty!" lol! Didn't know wether to laugh or cry!

Omg, how did you not tighten your hands around the little sods neck! lol if my son said that he'd be grounded until he turned 25! x

He was a absolute nightmare! 6 yrs old and he was swearing and biting his mum so I got off lightly! She counted to 3 at least 20 times and never got there! She said "he's a good boy really!" thankfully that is the only kid I've had in like that. She laughed when he said that to me. I have lost 2 stone since then! Maybe next time he'll say "see you later skinny!" lol! X

He was a absolute nightmare! 6 yrs old and he was swearing and biting his mum so I got off lightly! She counted to 3 at least 20 times and never got there! She said "he's a good boy really!" thankfully that is the only kid I've had in like that. She laughed when he said that to me. I have lost 2 stone since then! Maybe next time he'll say "see you later skinny!" lol! X

hopefully he'll come again, so you can say.., ha! in your face you little sh*t!, lol

good on you for loosing 2 stone btw x

Come on, guys! We are all on here to support and help each other, aren't we?
The OP sounded like she needed a bit of a confidence boost.

OK.

Being overweight isn't a prob - unless there is a health issue.

Some clients, for massage, spray tans etc, will feel more comfortable with a therapist who is their size, or bigger. Sorry, but it's a fact. It's NOT down to the therapist, but the client perception. My evidence for this is anecdotal from clients, and my own experience.

I'm a size 14, so pretty average, However, I've got stretchmarks and skin slackening, so I am a bit body shy.

I admire ladies with lovely, slim bodies. I'm not shapeist!

What my bottom line is- forgive the pun- don't think that you don't have a future in beauty if you are larger than average; you absolutely can.

Wow what a thread! Great post dande :)

You know the whole point of beauty treatments i personally think, is not just about making yourself feel 'beautiful' but its about giving yourself some inner confidence, cheering yourself up, giving you that lift etc etc.

It doesnt matter how many beauty treatments i have im never going to look like eva longoria.... period!

If i am to have beauty treatments its about making ME feel good, not a therapist, ME. Personally im not worried who does my beauty treatments, as long as they are good at what they do, knowledgable in their field, can communicate effectively and help me to enjoy my treatment.

My weight is like a bloody yoyo, partly my own doing, partly mental health issues and partly cos i love my food. I take care in my appearance, im presentable and if I AM unhappy with my weight i do something about it to please MYSELF, noone else.

Certain people feel comfortable with certain people, from slim woman, to curvaceous woman, from younger woman to older woman. Its just the same as why people chose a salon, home salon, spa or mobile therapist, its what the clients want. I truly believe there is a market for everyone. Personally i drive my business towards the older clientele, most of my clients, if not all are 30 and above. Im not ageist, i get on well with all age groups, have friends ranging from 19 up to 50+, but i choose this market because of their personal and financial lifestyle. Again i choose to market these age brackets out of choice, just like clients choose a therapists circumstances.

As to whether you can be in the industry being overweight.... Of course you can lovely. Being a great therapist is what you need to be :)

I've had treatments by therapists of all ages, shapes and sizes, I even had my underarms and legs waxed this week by a 17 year old who was finishing off her assessments, she was tiny and in no way made me feel uncomfortable, she said that I had lovely skin and wished that her own hair was as fine as mine (and easy to wax) she was lovely, and very professional and will do very well when she starts work, I'm a curvier lady (size 16) and the biggest in my class at college.

No matter what size we are we should all remember that clients look to us for inspiration, as long as we look well groomed and are professional that's all that matters :)

:) so true x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Well this one could just run and run:D and what have we all learned from this?
Black, white, fat, thin, tall or short we all have something in common,
How insecure we all are:sad:
Think about this one;
I was born in 1963, in London.
In 1968 my mother took me to the corner shop and as we got close, the man who I knew as uncle Tom, who used to give me a lolly pop every week because he thought I was a little sweet heart, was screaming at a young woman with a little boy a couple of years younger than me.
He told her she was a dirty whore, told her he wouldn't have that thing in his shop. She was obviously upset but she didn't leave.
She took her mixed race child out of the shop, told him to be good and stand still, then went back inside and did her shopping.
Yes that's right, that thing, was a child of two or three, with big brown eyes and skin the colour of creamy coffee with a mop of light brown curly hair.
She was in 1968 expected to put up with that and she did.
Does it really matter if someone calls you skinny? I have to say, just once in my life I would love for someone to say, Susie, the skinny one:D
Rather than The chubby one, and trust me, they are being polite.
That's such a small thing when compared to being called a whore because the colour of your skin is not the same as the father of your child.
It's nothing compared to having your child called 'that thing' and being told he can't come into a shop because he's not white.
All I'm asking here is that you please stop and think, did the person who posted say a word because they wanted to hurt you?
If they did then you have the right to take them to task for it and I'll help you do it.
But if there was no malice behind the posters words then please, let it go.
Words are only ugly if we say they are.
How does S2 put it?
With love and respect x

Well this one could just run and run:D and what have we all learned from this?
Black, white, fat, thin, tall or short we all have something in common,
How insecure we all are:sad:
Think about this one;
I was born in 1963, in London.
In 1968 my mother took me to the corner shop and as we got close, the man who I knew as uncle Tom, who used to give me a lolly pop every week because he thought I was a little sweet heart, was screaming at a young woman with a little boy a couple of years younger than me.
He told her she was a dirty whore, told her he wouldn't have that thing in his shop. She was obviously upset but she didn't leave.
She took her mixed race child out of the shop, told him to be good and stand still, then went back inside and did her shopping.
Yes that's right, that thing, was a child of two or three, with big brown eyes and skin the colour of creamy coffee with a mop of light brown curly hair.
She was in 1968 expected to put up with that and she did.
Does it really matter if someone calls you skinny? I have to say, just once in my life I would love for someone to say, Susie, the skinny one:D
Rather than The chubby one, and trust me, they are being polite.
That's such a small thing when compared to being called a whore because the colour of your skin is not the same as the father of your child.
It's nothing compared to having your child called 'that thing' and being told he can't come into a shop because he's not white.
All I'm asking here is that you please stop and think, did the person who posted say a word because they wanted to hurt you?
If they did then you have the right to take them to task for it and I'll help you do it.
But if there was no malice behind the posters words then please, let it go.
Words are only ugly if we say they are.
How does S2 put it?
With love and respect x

So if i say that women over there im not saying it to be nasty or malice but just describing her as fat is ok because i mean no harm? Its not the point to some it may cause upset so might calling some one stick thin over there, nobody has complained about being called skinny its just that some comment suggest being bigget is better etc i think some people have just tried stating that regardless of size etc its how good you work is what matters, :) x

So if i say that women over there im not saying it to be nasty or malice but just describing her as fat is ok because i mean no harm? Its not the point to some it may cause upset so might calling some one stick thin over there, nobody has complained about being called skinny its just that some comment suggest being bigget is better etc i think some people have just tried stating that regardless of size etc its how good you work is what matters, :) x

My point is that the original poster wanted to know if her size was going to handicap her in the beauty industry.
Other people taking offence over trivial points, choice of words is just that, trivial. There are far more important things in life.
My aunt once had the misfortune to overhear someone tell her friend that my aunt must be bulimic, why, because she was shovelling in a big piece of cake and she was stick thin. She walked over to the woman and said, well honey, the doctor just told me he can't do any more, the cancer is going to kill me before the month is out, so I'm going to do all the things I've always wanted to do before I check out.
My aunt checked out 2 months later.
If people want to pick a fight with others over their choice of words, or because they big up their own self esteem, well, I think that's sad.
If you feel you have to pick holes in my posts, then you go for it, if that makes you feel better. I assure you, I was not having a pop at you the individual I was pointing out in my own gentle way that I have read far to many posts where prickly personalities have taken offence where none was intended, taken over someone else's thread, which is rude and wondered far from the original posters question.

My point is that the original poster wanted to know if her size was going to handicap her in the beauty industry.
Other people taking offence over trivial points, choice of words is just that, trivial. There are far more important things in life.
My aunt once had the misfortune to overhear someone tell her friend that my aunt must be bulimic, why, because she was shovelling in a big piece of cake and she was stick thin. She walked over to the woman and said, well honey, the doctor just told me he can't do any more, the cancer is going to kill me before the month is out, so I'm going to do all the things I've always wanted to do before I check out.
My aunt checked out 2 months later.
If people want to pick a fight with others over their choice of words, or because they big up their own self esteem, well, I think that's sad.
If you feel you have to pick holes in my posts, then you go for it, if that makes you feel better. I assure you, I was not having a pop at you the individual I was pointing out in my own gentle way that I have read far to many posts where prickly personalities have taken offence where none was intended, taken over someone else's thread, which is rude and wondered far from the original posters question.

susie i sorta kinda get where you coming from lol

are you saying its okay to call people fatty and skinny and that they shouldnt take offence?

to be honest in my big fat days i think i would have cringed if i was called fatty to my face, likewise i can imagine it must get to thin girls when people keep calling them skinny minnies etc

Personally if you are good at what you do and show confidence (even if you don't feel it sometimes!) you can succeed in the beauty industry.

I am small and I worry sometimes that people won't feel confident with me as I do spray tanning, but I always try to make a point that I see bodies day in day out and I really have learnt that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes.

I think we are sensitive in general to our appearance whether someone called you fat or skinny, we all striver for perfection to much.

To the OP good luck an just be confident

X x

susie i sorta kinda get where you coming from lol

are you saying its okay to call people fatty and skinny and that they shouldnt take offence?

to be honest in my big fat days i think i would have cringed if i was called fatty to my face, likewise i can imagine it must get to thin girls when people keep calling them skinny minnies etc

For starters, if you are a size 18, and five foot tall (which I am) then you do get used to hearing people describe you as the tubby one, the fat one, no, I don't like it but it's the truth and its no more of an insult than being described as the older one or being mistaken for the tutor because I'm old enough to be her mother. And that is a far cry from someone yelling oy fatty!
So are you saying if someone calls you skinny you would be insulted?
Or would you check yourself out in the nearest mirror or shop window and think, Dam I look good today and give yourself a great big smile?
How about all those girls who are moaning that they are fed up with being called the skinny one?
Would they prefer it if their fella grabbed a pinch of skin and said, oh look, you've got love handles! Would that make them feel better?
Or would it have them running for the gym, the diet food? etc.
No, don't go there with me, I am to old and too many times around the block to put up with that kind of rubbish.
Oy skinny, does not have the same ring to it that; 'you fat cow' does
In fact if someone wants to hurt a skinny girl, that's exactly what they will say to insult them, you may be skinny but you still have thunder thighs.
Etc, etc, etc.
I will say this one last time.
This thread is supposed to be about a lady who wants to know if her size/age is going to be detrimental to her career choice.
Not who is the most insulted body type. Fat v skinny.
It's petty and far away from an honest concern from a newbie.
Now let it go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back