own nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since qualifing, I always do my own, as said befofe it's not easy doing your dominant hand, but it's great when someone comments on them and you an say that you done them yourself :)

As much as I hate p&w french's.. practicing them on my own hands is probably the best way to practice as it's harder to do your own.

I figure, if I can paint my righty with my lefty, and get a good smile.. then I'm definately getting better as I'm NOT ambidextrous and I am righty-dominant.
Did that make sense?
:lol:

I always do my own!!! Can be fiddly & take longer than on a client but so worth it!!! :)

I just did my right hand yesterday night (almost 1 1/2 hours!!) and tonight I did my left (about 1 hr). Since I am a student, I was told that's not too bad since I sculpted using gel (I did the french look). I love gel more than acrylics. And one hand is definitely better looking than the other.

10 Little Fingers

I always do my own takes twice as long as clients but I love doing them :green:

just wondered how many geeks actually sit and do their own nails?
If you do how hard do you find it?
Any tips on making it easier?
If you dont then can i ask why ?
I have been trying to do my own nails and i find it really difficult, i can do a lovely set on someone else but when it comes to my own i feel like giving up...
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Nobody could have hated doing their own as much as me, the end results looked like hooves and were no advert. I got so fed up with it that I soaked them off and went back to my educator for a new set.

She advised me to stick to doing natural for a while and only do P&W once I felt totally comfortable. I have persisted with the natural ,which, although not perfect, are certainly quite acceptable (see my journal):)

well got a free morning so off to try my lefty first as i am a lefty tech :eek:
guess i wont be on line till next week as it will take me soooooooooooo long :green: lol

I always do my own my right hand is a bit loopy but my left is great and if anyone asks I say I did them and only show my left hand.

You know the old saying... "practice makes perfect"... it applies here :wink2: I have had 2 sets on my nails that were by another tech (Peter Pan) and that's it, the rest of the time I do my own.
Like a lot of others have said, my nails are an advert... keep practicing and you will get there, promise!

You know the old saying... "practice makes perfect"... it applies here :wink2: I have had 2 sets on my nails that were by another tech (Peter Pan) and that's it, the rest of the time I do my own.
Like a lot of others have said, my nails are an advert... keep practicing and you will get there, promise!
With you 100%!!!

To be honest I don't think I could bare having anyone else do my nails, I can be so fussy!:lol:
It isn't easy to start off with, when doing your own, but the more you do it the better you'll get. I'm almost convinced that with enough practice you can become ambidextrous.:wink2:

yep i do my own, i wont trust anyone else to do mine, they'll wreck em i'm sure of it:lol:
Ive always done my own so i'm noit sure if i can offer any tips other than practice practice practice

I do my own too, i find using UV Gel on myself is easier than L&p.

xx

I have done my own enhancements in the past, I had a french overlay on them for almost a week, chipped off a little piece off my thumb, decided to file them all down and go natural again. For me I just find it really time consuming and I have nice nails anyways, (not trying to brag here) Often times my clients don't believe they're not enhanced.

If you had nice natural nails would you still enhance them for the sake of your profession?

aj

how do u do nail art on the other hand ?

I do my own nails. It can be quite difficult but i would much rather do them myself than pay someone else to do them.

I'm considering having a go at some nice red glitter tips for valentines, I find that glitter can be quite forgiving at times. Thank goodness!

It does take me twice as long though!:lol:

Teri x:hug:

I do my own,( L & P french) it took a bit of time to get the oposite hand to look as good but its getting there!! (slowly) I am forever chopping and changing so its a lot cheaper and good practise if you want to try something new. I do one finger on one side then the other etc etc

I also do my own nails and have for two years now, I use brisa warm pink and the paint on white on myself. For 10 years before that I used to have Fibreglass nails and I never thought when I started doing my own that my nails would look as good as when I used to have them done. For the first 6 months of doing my own, they weren't great, but obviously I have improved and now I actually prefer the way I do them.

I miss time at the salon being pampered but why pay someone else when you have all the stuff you need. Alot of people comment on my nails and its good to say I do them and have got lots of business from them too.

If you were a decorator you wouldn't pay to get the decorators in LOL! :)

i've always done my own nails for 18 years now.
i would make a horrible client. once, a new nail tech in the shop, asked if she could do my nails for me. i kept saying no, but felt so bad, i let her polish my nails.
well, my hands were so stiff - right up to my neck!! i could only take it for one hand! i had to do the other hand myself.
i do my own sculptured nails and all of my own art.
just practice!

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

i very rarely wear nail enhancements

but i do my own manicures and pedicures, which i found really hard at first but alot of practice has made it much easier

i agree doing your own nails is a good way to advertise your skills

when i do my nails yes it takes twice as long,an as i am left handed my right hand always a bit dodgey...

but i always find that my nails go out of shape.. with me filling clients nails all the time, they look a right state after a few days, especially my index finger it goes into a point,

does anyone else have this problem?

maybe its how i hold my file

hayley x

Latest posts

Back