own nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Posh Paws

Reaction score
just wondered how many geeks actually sit and do their own nails?
If you do how hard do you find it?
Any tips on making it easier?
If you dont then can i ask why ?
I have been trying to do my own nails and i find it really difficult, i can do a lovely set on someone else but when it comes to my own i feel like giving up...
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes I always do my own.

It can be very fiddly and take for ever to do, but I do feel that the best way to promote your sevices is to do your own!

The best tip I had was to do your dominant hand first as this is the hardest one to do.

I've just done my own nails this evening for the first time. One hand is lovely but the other isn't too good close up. But I agree, your own nails must look nice in order to promote your services.

I've always done mine. And it always takes me twice as long as it does to to other peoples

But, I firmly believe that if you can do a lovely set on yourself, you can do a great set on anyone else, since doing your own is a much bigger challenge.

PLUS I wouldn't want someone else doing mine and a client saying "who does YOUR nails?"
That would NOT be good for advertising.

When I'm in public, people see my nails and always ask "who does your nails"
I answer "me" and they ask for my card.

Best to practice and do your own.
:green:

good question !

I do my own one hand is lovely other not so nice :( .

I would love to have lots of nail art for a change to.

yep I do my own too, but am having the pleasure of someone else doing them for me next week, in the hope of picking up some comp tips from a winner, so I will be wearing a set of comp nails next monday courtesy of Scratchers, cant wait:)

yep I do my own too, but am having the pleasure of someone else doing them for me next week, in the hope of picking up some comp tips from a winner, so I will be wearing a set of comp nails next monday courtesy of Scratchers, cant wait:)

oooohhh how i would love an opportunity like that .........

2 tips
do the difficult hand first.
wrap some tech tape or plasters round your fingers to avoid filing your skin and giving your nails a wonderful scabby halo:lol:

easiest system i have ever used on myself is the le chat powder gel.

I used to always do my own

I can easily do the left hand, but obviously the right is tricky. The right needed much more filing into shape !! and forget doing french. I'm such a perfectionist and it would just take more time than I ever had available !

Since we opened the salon, I'm so lucky, I can get one of my staff to do them (when they have time!!)

Gina

Last edited:
I always do my own, i have never had them done by anybody else :cry: , do all my own artwork too, have to have art or else i feel naked, it does get easier in time.
Had to take mine off a couple of week ago for a waxing course and havnt found the time to put them back on yet so walking round with just plain polish on and it feels weird

I used to always do my own

I can easily do the left hand, but obviously the right is tricky. The right needed much more filing into shape !! and forget doing french. I'm such a perfectionist and it would just take more time than I ever had available !

Since we opened the salon, I'm so lucky, I can get one of my staff to do them (when they have time!!)

Gina

Professionails Hand & Body Care Products

Same as that !!
It takes me forever to get one hand perfect then i go and screw it up trying to do the other hand and get really cross with myself.....
Maybe i could put a bandage over one hand then no one would know i only had one hand of good nails lol

I always do my own, i have never had them done by anybody else :cry: , do all my own artwork too, have to have art or else i feel naked, it does get easier in time.
Had to take mine off a couple of week ago for a waxing course and havnt found the time to put them back on yet so walking round with just plain polish on and it feels weird

I really want to be able to do my own nails :cry: :cry:

I do my own always. Think it would be cheating to go to someone else!!!!
xxx:green:

I've never had my nails done by anyone except me! It used to take me much longer to do my own but the more you do it the easier it gets and now it just takes 5 or 10 minutes longer than it would on someone else.

Obviously one hand is easy, for the tricky hand I find I actually hold the file fairly still and move my right hand against it and contour that way.

It certainly creates a good impression and I have picked up clients in shops and at school etc because they ask who does my nails and I say I do.

On close inspection, one hand is better than the other.:eek: !

I do my own always. Think it would be cheating to go to someone else!!!!
xxx:green:

me too, not only that i'm too mean and not very trusting either:lol:

me too, not only that i'm too mean and not very trusting either:lol:

If I had to pay someone to do my nails I don't think I could justify it tbh! It's so expensive!!:lol: :lol:

I always do my own but tend to stick with clear rather than cocking up p&w on my right hand not a good look :lol:

I used to always always wear coloured gel. I love red nails anyway

It's such a treat to have french now, but I do get bored of it. My husband prefers my red nails.

I've got a pic of me just literally after having the baby. I look like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards, but my shiny red nails look fab !!
:)

Gina

Last edited:
I have always done my own, mainly because i could try stuff on myself and wouldn't be worried if it all went wrong when i was training.

I make myself do my wrong hand first, so at least when i get to do my good hand, it is so much easier. I do have to make time and build myself up to do my own as i do tend to take my time when doing my own, mainly because, if anything isn;t quite right, i will end up re-doing them the next day.

Plus i love doing various coloured tips and custom blending on my own. My clients love to see what i will have next as well.

I usually do my own. Occasionaly I'll have one of the other techs that I work with do one hand, or both if I have time. I feel that my nails are my advertising... I don't really want the competitors nails on my hands.

Latest posts

Back