Painful shoes!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mizzy_dizzy

Reaction score
I have spent most of my life in ice skates, skate shoes chasing my kids around,or ballet pumps at work (is that what there called? the flat slip on things)

anyway I want to feel like a lady sometimes and wear real shoes with a heel!
but through all the money I've wasted trying I've never found any I could put up with , they allll hurt after 5 flipping minutes !

so my question/s

If shoes hurt at first dose it get better?

and if so do you have to re live the uncomfort every time you get a new pair of shoes?
or
are they all evil ? and loads of women have a brave face on 90% of the time lol

I have spent most of my life in ice skates, skate shoes chasing my kids around,or ballet pumps at work (is that what there called? the flat slip on things)

anyway I want to feel like a lady sometimes and wear real shoes with a heel!
but through all the money I've wasted trying I've never found any I could put up with , they allll hurt after 5 flipping minutes !

so my question/s

If shoes hurt at first dose it get better?

and if so do you have to re live the uncomfort every time you get a new pair of shoes?
or
are they all evil ? and loads of women have a brave face on 90% of the time lol
Just like learning a trade, wearing heels is something you have to know the rules, and then practise like mad.

1. Buy shoes that fit. That means wearing them in the shop and making sure they fit properly - don't pinch or rub. Walk around the shop floor in them for 20 minutes. If the shop complains, don't buy from them again.

2. Look for a leather interior because it's breathable and will make wearing the shoes more comfortable.

3. Unfortunately, the more you pay, the better the shoe because it's made on a higher quality last (shoe form), more skill was used in the design, and the shoe was made with a better quality leather. Shoes that cost £20 may never be comfortable, shoes that cost £400 will usually feel like bliss (unfortunately).

4. Practise walking in them.

5. Use gel insoles to stop the burn on the balls of your feet.

6. If you can't hack it, give it up. I'd love to look like Cheryl Cole, but I don't, and I can't wear high heels, so I look like me and wear flip flops in summer and Uggs in winter. It may not be as glamorous, but it means I can keep a smile on my face most of the time.

Best of luck,
Sarah

Ive been through the same thing, Ive lusted after heels for years. Ive tried wearing them round the house to wear them in etc and I just cant seem to do it. I dont walk well in them and I just cant stand the pain from them.
The best bit of hope i can give you is wedges, I can walk in wedges and have nowhere near as much pain...
Maybe you could learn from these then slowely move to higher and nicer heels hehe :green:

Shoes that cost £20 may never be comfortable, shoes that cost £400 will usually feel like bliss (unfortunately).

I so wish that was so :( I have a pair of £700 Louis Vuitton wedges that are the most lush pair of wedges ever to grace the earth. Can I wear them - nope :( Within about 3 minutes I have blisters popping up all over my tootsies :cry:

I would say start in kitten heels, then progress to higher as you become more comfy. I can't run in flats any more but gimme stilettos and I am like a cheetah haha

I am a self confessed shoe whore! I can't seem to go shopping without buying a pair....often 2!

I am addicted to platform stilettos, and none of them have coz more than about £35!

I can walk fine in them (usually have to wear an insole and it means walking slower than usual!) but I have to admit I am usually in pain wearing them!

For an evening out I have to know how far I will be walking and how much standing is needed! Flip flops in the bag is a good idea for when you're walking then I like to change round the corner from where I'm going!

As already said wedges are comfier and easier to walk in, but so are platforms as you get the height without your foot being at so much of an angle!!!

P.S. I have these in 4 different colours! http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webap...ategory_rn=208738&productId=1879893&langId=-1

Just like learning a trade, wearing heels is something you have to know the rules, and then practise like mad.

1. Buy shoes that fit. That means wearing them in the shop and making sure they fit properly - don't pinch or rub. Walk around the shop floor in them for 20 minutes. If the shop complains, don't buy from them again.

2. Look for a leather interior because it's breathable and will make wearing the shoes more comfortable.

3. Unfortunately, the more you pay, the better the shoe because it's made on a higher quality last (shoe form), more skill was used in the design, and the shoe was made with a better quality leather. Shoes that cost £20 may never be comfortable, shoes that cost £400 will usually feel like bliss (unfortunately).

4. Practise walking in them.

5. Use gel insoles to stop the burn on the balls of your feet.

6. If you can't hack it, give it up. I'd love to look like Cheryl Cole, but I don't, and I can't wear high heels, so I look like me and wear flip flops in summer and Uggs in winter. It may not be as glamorous, but it means I can keep a smile on my face most of the time.

Best of luck,
Sarah

Sarah Jessica Parker.... is that YOU???
:lol::lol:

Someone's wrote a book on how to walk in heels? Really? Wow. Anyway, if you are used to wearing flats then going into anything higher will be a killer for you. Completely flat shoes are no good for your feet as the insole can lower, orthopaedic surgeons advocate a small heel. I had surgery on both my feet and was told to stop wearing heels, I live in sky scrapers, but I still wear them.

If you get cheaper shoes then it can be a little uncomfortable if they are not well made but the ones that have very thin sole where the ball of your feet are can be really sore to walk in. I have quite a few high heels with cushioned platform in and you can wear them all day everyday. I've even been standing up in them all day and they are a delight, granted they are expensive, I either do Jimmy or Dior so from £350 +. Only down side is with them being leather soled you don't want to wear them in the rain.

That said I bought some platforms from office reduced to £35, so comfortable then in the height of the summer my feet were a little puffy and I blistered like crazy which then got infected. So my lovely bargain shoes are in the box with a little sad face on them.

I would try wearing heels in the house first to get used to them and when you are in your bare feet, maybe walk around on the balls of your feet so you can get used to the balance of it??

I'm afraid I have the same problem :( Though I find it very funny how I can manage to walk in stileto's and they don't hurt my feet as much as wearing a pair of boots with a small heel. I think I'm going to invest in some cushioners for my feet, though cowboy boots don't hurt me and they are all in at the moment.

A friend of mine told me and she used to work in the shoe trade - to help wear your shoes in, wet some newspaper and stuff your shoes with it. :)

I've always found its a case of finding a pair that fit well and wearing them in slowly- or quickly on a night out with a bottle of something nice, works magic and by the end of the evening I cant feel my feet anyway :lol:

Some materials (often cheap ones) I find are just too stiff though and they're ones that hurt regardless.

A friend of mine told me and she used to work in the shoe trade - to help wear your shoes in, wet some newspaper and stuff your shoes with it. :)

Make sure it's not that wet though, just damp. This serves to widen the shoe but it will do this over time anyway.

Hi all,

I am constantly in heels, you will never find me in flat shoes, I just can't wear them lol I don't know what it is! Even when I was younger I always used to walk on my tip toes! 2 weeks ago I bought some nude stilettos with a wedge at the front and they have got about a 6 inch heel and I must say they are the most comfortable heels I have ever worn! I could wear them all day everyday! They were ridiculously expensive though....... A grand total of........ £17 from one of the cheapy shoe shops round by me!!!! Lol I love them and I love a bargain hehe :)

Lucy xx

£17 for a pair of shoes?? Wow, where do you shop?

I adore shoes and have around 250 pairs, ridiculous I know but just can't help myself:eek:. I really think it is hit and miss with comfort but the most uncomfortable shoes I have ever owned are by Prada and every pair of Prada shoes I have ever bought cut my feed to shreds so never again would I buy them, one of the comfiest was $10 from an outlet store, so go figure!

I was actually in the new shoe gallery in Selfridges at the weekend and saw some cracking shoes but just know they would be agony.

I think when you find a comfy pair you love you should buy two pairs:)

As an LMT I get loads of grief when I wear heels as they shrink the gastoc but once in a while it just has to be done. (Typed as I gaze lovingly at a new pair killer Julian McDonald 4 inch heels)

As a wearer of heels, all the time, even when I am walking the dog! The most important thing I would say is that when you are out shopping for shoes, make a day of it. Then finally by late afternoon start trying on shoes, because your feet will have swollen slightly by then. I always do this, also if a shoe feels a little uncomfortable in the shop, it will not get better by the time you get home, so discard them and either try another size or another shoe! Should you get any blisters, use Compeed plasters they are brilliant, and you can even wear the shoes that caused the blister without them hurting!

Latest posts

Back