Client injury - what would you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planky1

Premium Geek
Reaction score
I had a client in for nails last night, new client and she was lovely. Very chatty, didn't stop talking the whole time, was chatting away to me like she'd know me for years.

Treatment went well and she was pleased with her nails. I work from a summerhouse in my garden for those that might not know.

When I was showing her out, it had got dark. We have security lights everywhere, so the garden gets well lit but I always ask my clients to just wait behind me whilst I go in front to get the security lights to come on.

I did this last night, my client waited behind me and the light came on, fully lighting the garden. However, there is a small step up from patio to decking near our back door and despite warning her, she tripped up the step.

She had flip flop clog style open toed shoes on and she seemed to really hurt her toes. I obviously asked if she was ok as she looked to be in a lot of pain. She said she was fine, I checked again and asked if I could do anything for her and she replied again to say no, she'd be fine. As she left she changed from how lovely she'd been to being really abrupt, said goodbye very bluntly and didn't look at me.

I hardly slept last night panicking about what if she's hurt her toe so badly that she sues or something. I said to my husband about maybe calling her today to see if she's ok but he feels I shouldn't draw attention to it and make a big deal about it and that she was probably abrupt because a) she was in pain and b) she may have been embarrassed.

What would you do? It does worry me because we live in such an injury claim world these days and there are some that would take any opportunity to do this. She may not be one of them, she may be fine, she may not be giving it any thought today at all unlike me, so am I just being melodramatic?

Can't help but worry and feel great, this could all be over before I've even started!!

My husband says I'm being silly and I should stop worrying. That I have insurance and this is what it's for and I can't be held responsible for people not listening/looking where they're going or wearing silly shoes :wink2: I did warn her about the step, so is he right? Am I just being silly? :sad:

Hey. Oh what a shame you have been worrying all night :(

From my experience of working H&S in a previous job the usual procedure would be to phone her the next day but only if she had actually asked for help/treatment. For example if she had come into the house and had ice on her toe or you had called her a doctor or you knew she was going up to A&E.
If she said she's fine then you have to accept that and presume she was embarressed.
It might be worth noting the details down in a diary just in case there is any comeback but I highly doubt there will be and if you're insured then you have nothing to worry about anyway.
Hope this helps lovely!

Hi

OK first stop panicking (although I'm just like you) and write it up in your accident book.

Do everything by the book to cover your back, have a look at your insurance policy just to make sure you are prepared.

You probably won't hear any more about it but it's best to be clear in your own mind that you've done everything you should have.

I didn't want to read and run but someone will be along really soon to give you some proper advice.

:hug:

See now I'm worrying more. I don't have an accident book. So should I have filled it out (if I had one!) with her last night and got her to sign?? I didn't even think about it and should know really as I used to run Day Nurseries so know about the H&S side of things. Being just a one man band, you forget all the things you should have!!

Bugger :sad:

Would you call her to see if she's ok today or just leave it and not make a big song and dance about it?

Hi Claire,

I agree with your husband on this. Try not to worry unduly. Everyone falls over from time to time and it's generally no big deal.

Usually, the first reaction is shock, quickly followed by embarrassment. That may explain the abrupt way that she left.

Even if she broke all her toes and couldn't work for the next 6 months, (NOT likely) you will be covered by your insurance, so your only loss will be any excess you have to pay out in the event of a claim.

Also, don't forget this is the UK and our courts are highly reluctant to follow the US example when it comes to personal injury claims, so don't be fooled by the daft adverts on TV from shyster solicitors.

Make a note of what happened and take some pictures of the step for your own records. Contact your insurance company and ask their advice.

Perhaps review your lighting near to the step or change it into a small ramp? You probably need to look at it from a business point of view rather than as your own lovely garden.

I slipped and fell badly playing with my 3 year old last Tuesday and went to hospital to get it checked out as my ankle swelled up a lot, I had a huge black bruise and I couldn't stand on it. Nothing was broken and it was just badly sprained. It's feeling a lot better now and will be perfectly fine in another few days.

Chin up sweetie and try to enjoy your week-end with your lovely family.

Hugs, Linzi :hug:

Hi Claire,

I agree with your husband on this. Try not to worry unduly. Everyone falls over from time to time and it's generally no big deal.

Usually, the first reaction is shock, quickly followed by embarrassment. That may explain the abrupt way that she left.

Even if she broke all her toes and couldn't work for the next 6 months, (NOT likely) you will be covered by your insurance, so your only loss will be any excess you have to pay out in the event of a claim.

Also, don't forget this is the UK and our courts are highly reluctant to follow the US example when it comes to personal injury claims, so don't be fooled by the daft adverts on TV from shyster solicitors.

Make a note of what happened and take some pictures of the step for your own records. Contact your insurance company and ask their advice.

Perhaps review your lighting near to the step or change it into a small ramp? You probably need to look at it from a business point of view rather than as your own lovely garden.

I slipped and fell badly playing with my 3 year old last Tuesday and went to hospital to get it checked out as my ankle swelled up a lot, I had a huge black bruise and I couldn't stand on it. Nothing was broken and it was just badly sprained. It's feeling a lot better now and will be perfectly fine in another few days.

Chin up sweetie and try to enjoy your week-end with your lovely family.

Hugs, Linzi :hug:

Thank you :hug: Lighting wise, it's honestly like Colditz out there once all the lights are on. We plan to level that area because the people that lived here before did the patio area this way and we've always found it odd and don't like it. So we want either patio all over or decking all over. But as usual it's lack of funds to do it.

And like I say, I always tell people to mind the step up. Plus steps are everywhere in this world and in other businesses, the entrance my clients will eventually be using at the back of the house will have steps too but again, well lit.

I'm such a worry wart, it was just such a shame that it happened when it had been such a lovely treatment. *big sigh*

I'm just like you and would be worrying, however take if from one worrier to another that hopefully all will be fine and you really mustn't ring her. No matter how much you want to. This could actually make things worse, ie draw attention to it.

I had a an accident with a client a few years ago and I worried myself sick. Nothing ever came of it though and she still came back time and time again.

I would note all the details down though and in future get them to sign your NEW :D accident book.

Xx

This is just a little thought for future reference :) could you get a 'mind the step' sticker/plaque to put under the ledge of the step that other businesses have on their steps? Just so if god forbid anything happens again it's another back up?
As another poster said, everyone trips or misses a step sometimes so I wouldn't worry about this lady. I work in a chippy and we have a step into the shop and people trip up it I broad daylight & say they didn't see it. Just one of those things xx

Thank you everyone. I think a lot of my worry is because I am so exhausted as well. I worry and way over think things when I'm tired and we have much going on at the moment, so it just felt like great, things are just starting to calm down and sort themselves out and now this could ruin all that.

I won't call her and I will try really hard to stop thinking about it. I will also be buying an accident book on Monday :D

Thank you all :hug:

Have you done a risk assessment for your business? If you have you will need to amend it and put in actions to prevent this accident recurring again. If not then you need to do one asap. As previous poster says you also need to get yourself an accident book or forms. If an incident occurs then you need to fill it in at the current time. Its all about showing due diligence.

Not much you can do now in terms of accident that has already happened but you can take necessary precautions to avoid it happening again. If she does make a claim refer it straight to your insurers.

Its unlikely anything will come from it, but you never know. Good luck x

Oh, what a shame to start your weekend with a sleepless night. :hug:

Basically you had identified a risk, taken steps to address it, lighting and verbal instruction. Write this down now.

Consult your insurance company for advice, just in case.

For the future, consider a stripe of reflective paint on the edge of the step.

But my main thought is that your husband is right. If that happened to me I'd be too embarrassed to have a howl in front of you, and would want to get to my car quickly. Then I'd think "I am a daft old bat!"

Oh, what a shame to start your weekend with a sleepless night. :hug:

Basically you had identified a risk, taken steps to address it, lighting and verbal instruction. Write this down now.

Consult your insurance company for advice, just in case.

For the future, consider a stripe of reflective paint on the edge of the step.

But my main thought is that your husband is right. If that happened to me I'd be too embarrassed to have a howl in front of you, and would want to get to my car quickly. Then I'd think "I am a daft old bat!"

Thanks Dande. We actually said last night about painting a white stripe along the edge so going to be doing that xx

Oh claire try to keep calm sweetie. Same advice as above honey so nothing more to give than that on my behalf. No doubt her change in character was very much down to being in pain and/or feeling rather embarrassed. Put together an accident book (though i know shes been unable to sign) and record the events, take pics and contact your insurance. Im sure nothing will come of this, so try not to worry. Get some sleep and make sure you eat- without these everything seems so much worse.... Believe me :)

The point to remember, as has been said lovey, people do trip. Youve got good lighting, youve warned your clients, walked in front of her (lol it all sounds like mariah careys entourage who walk in front of her as she goes down stairs!!!) and by the sounds of it you have a normal step (not like a broken, accident waiting to happen step), so try to remain calm chick.

Big hugs, early night and chill me dear ok!?!? X x x

Oh claire try to keep calm sweetie. Same advice as above honey so nothing more to give than that on my behalf. No doubt her change in character was very much down to being in pain and/or feeling rather embarrassed. Put together an accident book (though i know shes been unable to sign) and record the events, take pics and contact your insurance. Im sure nothing will come of this, so try not to worry. Get some sleep and make sure you eat- without these everything seems so much worse.... Believe me :)

The point to remember, as has been said lovey, people do trip. Youve got good lighting, youve warned your clients, walked in front of her (lol it all sounds like mariah careys entourage who walk in front of her as she goes down stairs!!!) and by the sounds of it you have a normal step (not like a broken, accident waiting to happen step), so try to remain calm chick.

Big hugs, early night and chill me dear ok!?!? X x x

Yes sir :wink2: Lol xx Am at my mum's today having some R&R. And how did you know I've not been eating?! Can you see me??? :eek:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Yes sir :wink2: Lol xx Am at my mum's today having some R&R. And how did you know I've not been eating?! Can you see me??? :eek:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Because happyfeet is watching you.... ;)

Enjoy your r&r lovey and make sure you eat young lady :) x x x

Please stop panicking. Firstly claims are rarer than you think, secondly steps exist in the world, and people who don't look where they are going don't get a million quid.
Wait and see, if she claims, inform your insurer, then let them handle it. Really don't stress.

oww this is horrible :hug: your husband is completley right, try not to worry, you have insurance and this is what it is there for. Although i have to admit if i were in your shoes i'd be having sleepless nights and worrying, but as an outsider looking in i'd say you have nothing to worry about, you warned her and she didn't listen. If i were you i would write up a report of everything that happened that night whilst it is fresh in your mind, step by step, everything that was said, what the mood was like, how it changed after the accident, what was said... so on. add to it everytime you think of something. It will take you 30mins to an hour and yes it might be a waste of time because she might not do anything about it but it's there if you need it :D good luck and thinking of you x

Its probably fine... think your just in a panic because it was on your property don't bring any attention to it... you did the right thing by asking her if she was okay and needed anything.. Its very unlikely that in the event she tried to turn it into a lawsuit that it would ever stick.... =) also if i read your post right it looks like you work from home or from a building that is attached to your property at home... In the event there was ever an issue home owners insurance would over something like that=)

Latest posts

Back