paraffin wax treatment, please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

couper

Reaction score
Hi all,
Does anyone offer this treatment?
Today I bought a paraffin wax heater as I have my final NVQ man/ped assessment on Sunday and I need to demonstrate a paraffin wax treatment for both. I have spent the day trying my new heater out on myself and have just given my Mum a pedicure treatment but the wax is far too hot.
I have been taught to use gauze strips and dip them in the wax then place on skin. I have scalded myself a few times today and my Mum (bless her) admits it is far too hot also. I have left the wax to cool until it is almost setting again, I cant do it much cooler than that, can I?
Can anyone help please? I have spent a lot of money on the heater and I would really like to get it right before Sunday.

Any advice will be really appreciated:hug:
xx

what type of heater is it chick?
does it have a thermostat?
ithink you did right tho by letting it cool down but it does become a pain doesnt it

Hi. Mine has a dial that I can put onto WARM and it just stays nice and warm all the time. Its around the middle inbetween COLD and HOT.lol.

Also, I was taught to just gently dip the hand in for around 5-6 dips and let drip for a minute, then I place a freezer bag over the hand and slide it into a mitten (which is technically an oven mitt!). Then leave for ten mins, slide the bag off and the hardened wax comes off beautifully. I do this all the time and it works perfectly!

I sanitize my hand and just dip the tip of my finger in the check the temperature before using just in case though. You'll get the hang of it, dont worry.

PS yours could be different, dont know what you mean "Heater"? I use a Paraffin Wax Bath which is an all in one unit that has a lid etc.

I had this trouble what kind of was are you using is it the pellits (sorry can not spell)

If so I found these got far too hot so I have just bought the salonsystem tub of wax that I sit in my heater this was far better it is a solid block of wax that melts quite slow in my heater but was a nice heat once ready.

I only use a little wax heater and brush the wax on the hands.

Caz xxx

couper said:
Hi all,
Does anyone offer this treatment?
Today I bought a paraffin wax heater as I have my final NVQ man/ped assessment on Sunday and I need to demonstrate a paraffin wax treatment for both. I have spent the day trying my new heater out on myself and have just given my Mum a pedicure treatment but the wax is far too hot.
I have been taught to use gauze strips and dip them in the wax then place on skin. I have scalded myself a few times today and my Mum (bless her) admits it is far too hot also. I have left the wax to cool until it is almost setting again, I cant do it much cooler than that, can I?
Can anyone help please? I have spent a lot of money on the heater and I would really like to get it right before Sunday.

Any advice will be really appreciated:hug:
xx

Just looked up about paraffin wax & says should be heated to 125-130 Fahrenheit. I usually feel it. should be quite warm but not hot. remember some people are more sensitive to heat then others but if it's not warm enough it won;t do it' job. does it have different temp settings. have you got proper amount of wax in there. if you have a smaller amount it will be hotter

Thank you all, I also have the salon system heater. I had it in between warm and solid. I'm not sure i can use a normal thermometer to check the temp of the wax. It has no setting to tell you wehn its ready

Might be doubling the work, but its better safe than sorry.
I acutally put the melted paraffin wax in a plastic bowl, wait til it gets like a film over it and work with it very quickly.
Alternative to that, I have a hive wax heater which you sit the pots in - think I place it on dial 4 which is comfortable to work with.

Other than that, just try adjusting the temperature to see if a film is formed over the wax if it does, then this should be ok....

couper said:
Thank you all, I also have the salon system heater. I had it in between warm and solid. I'm not sure i can use a normal thermometer to check the temp of the wax. It has no setting to tell you wehn its ready
How about a cooking thermometer. Or you can sanitise your hand and feel the wax.

lovenails1 said:
Also, I was taught to just gently dip the hand in for around 5-6 dips and let drip for a minute, then I place a freezer bag over the hand and slide it into a mitten (which is technically an oven mitt!). Then leave for ten mins, slide the bag off and the hardened wax comes off beautifully. I do this all the time and it works perfectly!
I was taught to lather hands in moisturiser before dipping, can this be done after acrylic/gel application and is this the right way!!! I was taught a lot by the "school" I went to but I have come to the realisation the school "teacher" wasn't entirely right in the first place.

Hope you can help!!!

Nerida

If it gets too hot and you are unsure what to do my advise is:

turn off the heater by the mains and let it cool for a few minutes, if you cannot turn it down with a dial that is.

Once warm turn the dial to minimum heat and this should cool it (although mine gets red hot too!!)

Keep testing the temperature with your elbow.

Don't let it cool down too much if you have switched it off by the mains as it will solidify quickly.
xx

I suggest you heat it up more slowly. The only times i have had trouble with my wax is when i've tried to heat it up too quickly at a higher temp.

beautynails said:
How about a cooking thermometer. Or you can sanitise your hand and feel the wax.

This what I use to test the temperature of my Paraffin wax bath and it works a treat.

Latest posts

Back