Paying by Card

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have a card payment machine?

• Yes

Votes: 40 26.8%
  • Nope

Votes: 109 73.2%

• Total voters

nemotail

Invisible Geek
Reaction score
Have searched on this but wanted some more up to date info.

I am considering taking a card payment machine into my new shop so wondered how many of you offer to take payments with a card?
I prefer to pay things with card and noticed that the majority or clients are saying the same or mentioning having to make a special trip to the bank to get cash before they come to me.

I bank with Lloyds TSB so was looking at their Cardnet but noticed they require a minimum payments of £1000 per month. Streamline are charging £200 for the machine alone - with the monthly charges and per transaction charges is it worthwhile?

If you have a card payment machine which company are you with?
How much did it cost you to startup?
Do you think clients spend more on retail because they are paying by card or is their spend the same?

MTIA
KxXx

In my last business we looked into this and although I can't remember any of the figures we just could not afford it. We would have had to put prices up and when clients queried us not taking cards we explained that we would have to make surcharges.

I don't feel that we ever lost business. In my opinion if people like what you do they will stay with you regardless..

I voted no, but I am mobile anyway.

On a different note I was asked if I could take a cheque (which is fine) but they didn't want me to bank it for another 2 weeks until they got paid.:eek:

I thought this a little cheeky as it was a new client and it was for her rebalance. I didn't do it and funnily enough she found the cash!

Teri x

I am mobile so don't have one but in the salon i have just started working in they don't have one either.

They used to but it cost to much, i was dissapointed by this as i do think clients spend more on retail if they have a card handy & for people like me that never carry cash its a godsend.

I have also noticed that new clients are forever running to the cashpoint to withdraw some cash as they aren't aware that the salon doesn't take cards. If you haven't already i would put a sign up if you don't accept cards & print it on your pricelists xx

For just little 'ole me it's not worth the cost. I take cash and cheques which seems to suit everyone......

For just little 'ole me it's not worth the cost. I take cash and cheques which seems to suit everyone......

me too.. xx

There was a poll back in September http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/42176-credit-card-machine-yes-no.html

I bank with Lloyds TSB so was looking at their Cardnet but noticed they require a minimum payments of £1000 per month. Streamline are charging £200 for the machine alone - with the monthly charges and per transaction charges is it worthwhile?

Do you think clients spend more on retail because they are paying by card or is their spend the same?

I bank with Abbey (free business banking for life) who offered a special deal via Streamline. No set up fees, a lower monthly rental and cheaper transaction rates.

So in answer to your questions, Streamline, nothing, same (sometimes more). However for me I love the simplicity. No going to the bank with cheques, no 'Oh I forgot to go to the bank' excuses, and no hassle. Worth every penny of the £20 a month rental which I recouped by upping my prices by 50p.

I wouldn't want to be without it anymore

HTH :hug:

I sent mine back to Streamline as I was supposed to be moving (long story) and boy do i miss it! As Trin says, it is so easy and convenient. It's a bit like when you have a car with power steering you'll never go back to normal steering even if it costs you more.

I got a card machine about a year ago as clients generally expect to be able to pay by card & I find that, although it does cost more, I wouldn't be without it now. No more 'I forgot to bring money with me, I'll just nip to the cash machine' then disappearing for half an hour. I have also stopped taking cheques now as I had a few bounced cheques or clients trying to give me cheques without a guarantee card. Plus cheques can take up to 10 days to clear, whereas card transactions go straight into your bank account each day. I'd say if you are going to use it enough, then go for it. Just shop around for the best deal.

Thanks folks ~ I appreciate your responses

Thanks Trin that thread didnt show in my search.
There is not an Abbey for many miles or I would switch just to get the Streamline deal!

Nichola - what company is your card machine from?

I think that if the opportunity for retail sales is there that having a card machine is a fab idea.

People are more likely to spend money when they're not actually paying with 'real money', if you know what I mean, paying by card makes it easy and makes retailing much easier than if they pay by cash.

i got my machine from HSBC as i bank with them i think it was called the 299 deal or something.... i cant remember now
i needed a card machine due to the training and being able to take deposits and things over the phone plus/.... like me most ppl pay by card

Jess
xox

Hi

I have a card machine, and i have to say people spend loads more since i have had it.

I am with streamline but have a special deal through wella.

I dont do cheques any more, most of my banking in fact pretty much all is electronic as its loads cheaper.

This looks really interesting - maybe an option for mobile techs too?
clicky here
I have requested some further info on it
KxXx

Me too. I have to remind myself to pay the cheques in as well.

I think it's worth while getting one. Just think of all those clients that you'll miss out on without one. Also, you can get mobile machines. Our Botox doc brings his own and he doesn't plug it into the phone line.

Go for it !!!

Have searched on this but wanted some more up to date info.

I am considering taking a card payment machine into my new shop so wondered how many of you offer to take payments with a card?
I prefer to pay things with card and noticed that the majority or clients are saying the same or mentioning having to make a special trip to the bank to get cash before they come to me.

MTIA
KxXx

if you sign up with FSB ( Federation of small businesses) they get you free business banking with the co op and you get the streamline machine free. They also help with everything from insurance to electricity suppliers for only £100 per year.

hth

Hiya,

I don't think the machine has to cost much, I am with Barclays and when I first got the machine they asked for £150 set up cost which I refused to pay because it is free through the Federation of Small Business's so they waved the fee and the rental on the machine is only £15 a month.
People do spend more on retail because of it and the other fab thing about having one is taking deposits over the phone when the clients book, it gives them the incentive to phone and cancel if they are not going to show and to cancel within the time allocated, a have to admit a few clients moan about having to pay a deposit but once I have politely explained how many people I have not showing up without letting me know and give them the 'I'm only trying to make a living' speech they are cool with it.

Love

Rebecca

We definately saw a big increase in retail sales when we got a card machine. Its easier for selling vouchers over the phone, and to be honest most people expect a salon to have one, and don't always come with an alternative method of payment

Hello everyone , i actually work for a company called SilverPay and we offer both mobile and salon based card systems. We have just launched into the Health & Beauty sector and are starting to be involved with Professional beauty and the Guild of Professional Beauty therapists.
I am very happy to help anyone with any questions. My number is 01494 797145 or have a look at SilverGum.

Latest posts

Back