Paying by Card

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have a card payment machine?

• Yes

Votes: 40 26.8%
  • Nope

Votes: 109 73.2%

• Total voters
As I work mobile I deal in cash and cheques(only with gaurantee card), but this thread has got me thinking now. Thanks great thread :)

Also, you can put the credit card logos on your advertising, which reassures clients that you do take cards.

At the moment its not worth the setting up fee and the monthly charges. I havent opened yet, but its something I have looked into. Maybe if I am very busy. I will accpet cash or cheques for the moment, if peeps want to spend a bit more they can always pay by cheque most people these days have a cheque book.

There was a poll back in September http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/42176-credit-card-machine-yes-no.html

I bank with Abbey (free business banking for life) who offered a special deal via Streamline. No set up fees, a lower monthly rental and cheaper transaction rates.

So in answer to your questions, Streamline, nothing, same (sometimes more). However for me I love the simplicity. No going to the bank with cheques, no 'Oh I forgot to go to the bank' excuses, and no hassle. Worth every penny of the £20 a month rental which I recouped by upping my prices by 50p.

I wouldn't want to be without it anymore

HTH :hug:

I am banking with Abbey and they mentioned this to me too, unfortunately my business is not exactly booming at the moment so theres not much point in me doing so

hi there i own a salon i use and love it your money goes stight into your account so you have cash on the premises ive gone with barcleys pdq machine and i only have to use 20 pounds a month plus rent which nis 15 pounds and 1% or 2% on what people use!!!!! SAMMY

I looked into getting a card machine, but to begin with its just too much of a cost what with set up fees etc. Maybe when Im a bit more established, then it will be something to think about, clients can always pay by cheque! xx

Having a card machine in the salon certainly boosts the retail sales and as valencian nails said people will spend on thier card more.

I would say 90% of my clients pay by card as the retail bumps the price up...makes me a happy bunny!

I would say there are more pros than cons of having one.

I don't have one as i can not afford it just yet but the salon owner before me did have one and the odd client still thinks it is here and ends up having to go to the hole in the wall so i will be looking into getting one when i am busy enough to warrant one
people do expect us to have them until you explain to them that you would have to put up prices due to the charges we have to pay out to use one then suddenly they understand and don't seem to mind so much

I've found this thread of great interest as I'm planning on becoming mobile as soon as I've got everything I need in place.

I, too, think that a card machine is a great idea and probably well worth the expense. A lot of people seem to just expect to be able to pay by card. I know I do when I go out!!! :green: I was very recently caught short when I went to a new hairdressers and it was cash only (I didn't know this before hand!) so I had to pop out and find a cash machine with my hair only halfway done!!! :o

Once again, I think that people do tend to spend a bit more on cards. It's probably a psychological thing. I think nothing of putting something that costs £100 on my card... but I'd be loathe to actually hand over £100 cash for something. Don't know why...

I got a card machine earlier this year. I got mine through Silverpay as they had a low set up fee (£50), you dont need a business account, and its a 3 month contract. I didnt want to sign up for a year (or 3 with some companies) and find that it wasnt worth it. The down side to the silverpay is that it is a 5% processing fee, which is a lot higher than most of the others, though you can have the machine set up so it adds 2.5% or 5% to the clients bill automatically for you (i just put my prices up!)

Anyway, I have found it very worthwhile doing, my retail sales have boomed since, and I get far less mid month 'cos im skint' cancellations as they tend to put it on the good old visa!:lol:

I voted no, but I am mobile anyway.

On a different note I was asked if I could take a cheque (which is fine) but they didn't want me to bank it for another 2 weeks until they got paid.:eek:

I thought this a little cheeky as it was a new client and it was for her rebalance. I didn't do it and funnily enough she found the cash!

Teri x
Hi Teri,
intrested to read your quote as I was contacted by a company called Silverpay who offer a mobile credit card machine which would be ideal for you mobile tech's...they are offering a 3 month "try it before you buy it offer"
Dont know the costs but I guess they have to be competative...perhaps call them and see what they offer...Helen Robinson 0870121 2505
hoping this helps

Hi Teri,
intrested to read your quote as I was contacted by a company called Silverpay who offer a mobile credit card machine which would be ideal for you mobile tech's...they are offering a 3 month "try it before you buy it offer"
Dont know the costs but I guess they have to be competative...perhaps call them and see what they offer...Helen Robinson 0870121 2505
hoping this helps

Hi Colin. Just to save on any confusion the mobile terminal is offered on a 3 month contract instead of the normal 12 so there is no lengthy commitment if you are not delighted with the service. SilverPay are also offering SilverService free of charge when you take a mobile terminal, this is a web based facility for taking payments on your PC which is proving great for bookings.
Many thanks
Helen x

I dont have yet....but I want have it soon because surely it will make difference and course I will catch more customers :green:

I was at the Beauty show yesturday, talking to Salon Management software companies and asked the question "Is it mostly large Salons that use the packages?" I was then told therapists that run their businesses from rented rooms in Spas, Hotels, Gyms etc use their P.C's and have internet access. SilverService (as provided by www.silvergum.co.uk) is perfect in this enviroment providing a CNP (Customer Not Present) payment facility that is easily accessed on any P.C with broadband. At a fraction of the cost of a terminal it may be the solution to your card payment needs.You can also take payment over the phone for booking fees, course fees etc. SilverService is only £15+VAT per month or £10+VAT per month if a one off annual payment is made (£120+VAT). Also multiple therapists can use one P.C with their own individual accounts and passwords making reconciliation much easier. If this may suit your business needs please call me on 01494 797145. The 3 month minimum contract offer applies.
Best regards and loved the show.
Helen x

I got my card machine through the Federation of Small Businesses. My setup was free and line rental was free for the first 3 months - it is a streamline machine.

My line rental is now £14.99 per month. Well worth it - no trips to the bank to lodge cash and my clients def spend more.

I got my card machine through the Federation of Small Businesses. My setup was free and line rental was free for the first 3 months - it is a streamline machine.

My line rental is now £14.99 per month. Well worth it - no trips to the bank to lodge cash and my clients def spend more.

Just wondering how they are making their money. What are the transaction fees? Are there any minimums? Did you have to get your own merchant account? How much was your membership for the FSB?
Many thanks
Helen x

100000% could not live without one!!!! xx

Just wondering how they are making their money. What are the transaction fees? Are there any minimums? Did you have to get your own merchant account? How much was your membership for the FSB?
Many thanks
Helen x

Im with the FSB aswell, best move I ever made!

Set up is free, the transaction fees are smaller than other companies too, can't remember exactly what, but I researched it and they are definately cheaper. Its £100 per year to join the FSB, ( which you save twice over on machine set up fees) and you get so many benefits, I honestly couldn't list them all.

Oh and yes I have my own merchant account and number.

There is no minimum, and the money gets paid directly into your business account. Business banking is also free for life through the Co-op. No hassle, even though there is not a Co-op in my town, I make payments through the post office and do all my banking online, its fab, can't fault it!

I got my card machine from HSBC, who I bank with. Because I'm salon based, I find I take about 65% of payment through cards, and its a lot easier to sell retail products to people paying via cards xx

Paypal offer a virtual terminal for £20 per month plus 2% of the transaction fee.

Basically you take the card details from the customer and enter them into a secure payment page on their website.

It works great for me.

Latest posts

Back