Pedicures on pregnant women

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annabel08

Reaction score
Hello everyone. .

I was at work the other day and I had to do a pedicure on a pregnant lady.
When she first arrived she said to me
'I don't know if you where told but I am pregnant and can't use the vibrators in the back of the pedicure chair'

to be honest with you at first I didn't really think much of it, I just thought she would rather not use it.
Anyways as I was sitting down my colleague quietly asked me if my client was pregnant, she then when on to say that I should be careful while massaging her legs/feet by not applying too much pressure or doing long strokes.

I only finished college about 5/6months ago now and don't ever remember them telling us what we have to be aware about with pregnant women. I started working straight away after college so this colleague is very helpful and always helps me out and gives me information when i need it.
But as I was about to start this pedicure it would of sounded very unprofessional (in my mind) to start asking why.

I have searched on here to try and find out why it is that pregnant women should not use the vibrators in the chair, and why you have to be so careful massaging there legs?

I'm sorry if this may sound a bit of a silly question, but like I said before I don't remember being taught this at college, and I really think I should be aware of these things.

Straight after I had finished with that client I then had another pregnant client who asked me if it would be ok to use the vibrators in the chair as she was pregnant. As I didn't know the answer I just told her that it was probably best if she didn't.

If feel quite silly now, so it would be soo great if you could just explain to me why it is.

Thanks
Annabel

Hi hun I just found this I hope it helps ...x

sorry I don't see anything?

I have recently heard that having your feed soaked during a pedicure can bring on early labour, has anyone else heard this? Is it an old wives tale? I offered my friend who has 11 weeks to go,a pedicure but now I am worried....

Would appreciate some advise please ladies.

Thank you.

Katie

due to the increased blood volume in a pregnant lady and due to the hormone changes, they are prone to small blood clots which can settle in the legs. They quite often disperse naturally and do not cause any probs, but it is advised to avoid deep massage and percussion techniques on the legs, to avoid making any clots move up toards the heart and lungs. This would include leg vibrators in pedi stations. Hope this helps, any other pregnancy related client queries just PM me x

I had a pregnant lady in for peds all the way through you should have seen her face when i said i could only do a warm soak ( no bubbles ) and a light rub as it can induce labour !!! she did still enjoy it though and had one the week her son was born which she asked for and she had been given the ok from midwife so we could be a little firmer !! Oh and when in labour her midwife said what lovely soft feet she had and how good to see she was looking after them as they have a hard time with all the extra weight :) xx

I'm sure I was told (I dont get to do many pedis!) to be wary of the foot massage as reflexoligists (sp) have to take care in the first three months of pregnancy.

Yes, it does seem to be a really luxurious treatment to offer and so soothing for the Mum-to-be.

But I have read that there are pressure points in the ankle and reflexology points on the foot that can induce labour. Apparently it is very difficult to find these points and only a professional would be able to find them and even then they don't always have any effect, but I'd be too concerned that I might accidentally find them...

Just a soak and a light rub sounds safest.

just to follow on from my last post, soaking the feet will not bring on labour - it would be sensible to not have the water too hot, or to use ANY essential oils, or to use a foot spa that claims to have any reflexology-like efect on the feet, just to be on the safe side.

I have given many pregnant ladies pedicures on a regular basis. I just miss out the massage and make it up to the client with perhaps some rhinestones and make sure they are comfortable throughout their treatment.

I think pedicures should be prescribed for pregnant ladies as there is so much pressure placed on their feet throughout pregnance and some tlc on their feet sure makes them feel better.

My insurance specifies it is ok to do the massage but only after the first 12 weeks of pregnancy and that you must avoid massaging around the ankle area (I belive this is the major area of concern.)

Thank you for all you replies I'm so glad I asked becuase I would have never of known any of this.

Next time I have a pregnant lady I will definitely take extra care and I will also feel a lot better as now I can explain why if they ask.

I can't believe they never taught this at college.
Thank goodness I have this site =].

Annabel
x

Yes the massage is mainly to do with pressure points. There are spots on the heel and ankle that can stimulate the uterus and, in theory, cause contractions. Right now, I wish this worked for me! I am 10 days overdue so anyone wanting to test out the theory can try on me lol

It is fine to do a basic pedicure on a pregnant lady as long as your insurance covers it. Just skip the vibrations and use light strokes with massage to avoid over-stimulation. Also, as someone else said, don't use any essential oils as some of these are also thought to induce labour.

As a VERY heavily pregnant lady, it is sooo nice to have your feet soaked and rubbed. Also, I haven't been able to reach my toes for that long, if I didn't have my toenails painted for me, I'd have manky grown-out polish on the ends of my nails! Not a good look. :)

Latest posts

Back