People on bikes - opinions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have horses and I thing your quite wrong about that. At least we wear the correct gear and are insured.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

I never knew they had road insurance for horses! Obviously it's a generalisation of all horses/riders nothing personal though! Like someone else said it's the mess they leave on the road, and there are a lot of rude riders who don't say thank you for slowing down for them and in my opinion ride on the stupidest of roads which is dangerous for everyone. I see them all day everyday, probably after seeing a cyclist which has already got me annoyed.

I rev up going past one horse and rider. She's so fat her horse sags in the middle. It needs livening up. I'd love it to bolt lol

When they cycle in the middle or right hand side of the lane near the white line so no one can safely pass...:mad:

When they hop on and off the pavement into the road without checking for cars first...:rolleyes:

When they ride 2 abreast...:mad:

When they suddenly swerve towards the white line to avoid something like a drain cover - with no warning whatsoever!...:evil:

When they try and race the cars...:rolleyes: :grr:

Cyclists are a menace and a very real danger to both themselves and others on the roads, yet if ever an accident occurs it is almost always presumed to be the fault of the driver.

Last edited:
You should all come and experience the roads where I live and then you would have to learn to share! :lick:

Horses, pedestrians, dogs, farm animals, bikes, tractors, old people driving at 40mph everywhere (even in a 30) and tourists meandering is normal.

Tractors :eek: shouldn't be allowed on the roads; why can't they drive through fields?

I don't have a problem with horses; the riders round here always acknowledge good driving, ie slowing right down in good time and waiting till it's safe to pass slowly and wide.

I do admit that tractors and cyclists always make my heart sink on our narrow, twisty roads. Live and let live, though.

When they cycle in the middle or right hand side of the lane near the white line so no one can safely pass...:mad:

When they hop on and off the pavement into the road without checking for cars first...:rolleyes:

When they ride 2 abreast...:mad:

When they suddenly swerve towards the white line to avoid something like a drain cover - with no warning whatsoever!...:evil:

When they try and race the cars...:rolleyes: :grr:

Cyclists are a menace and a very real danger to both themselves and others on the roads, yet if ever an accident occurs it is almost always presumed to be the fault of the driver.

Don't forget those ones that go through red lights too 😡

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

This topic is something that really bugs me. I live in an area where the majority of roads have cycle path yet they STILL feel the need to cycle on the road! really irritating.
People on bikes - damn right rude

I saw something on tv that showed a foreign cycle lane (no idea where) and there was a raised kerb between the cycle lane and the road. Brilliant idea!

I'm afraid I don't like horses either. I'm severely allergic anyway.

Tractors don't bother me too much

And im hoing to disagree with you all

1. Everybody complains about fat people and how lazy they are, yet complains when they try and do something about eg. Ride a bike

2. Alot of places dont have bike lanes or foot paths

3. If they made special bike lanes everyone would moan about tax payers money going towards it when they reap no benefits. And how much of a waste of money it would be

4. Who cares if they dont pay rego and still use the road? Not all bike riders only ride bikes! Alot of them drive cars also! So have to pay rego still!

5. They are saving the enviroment, in thier own little way. Some people recycle, some ride bikes. Your future grand children will thank them for this

6. If you have to go slower then look at the scenary. Take it in and appriciate it. Does it matter if you arrive 10 minites later than normal? Leave 10 minites earlier in future

7. They probably cant afford a car, repayments, rego, petrol. This is the cheaper alternative when every thing else is on the rise (except our pay) and this is one area they can afford to cut back on to surrive in this wirld.

8. Car drivers are just as bad as bikers when it comes to additude. Car drivers think they own the road when its actually shared between truckers, motor bikes, push bikes and the occcasional hitch hiker. Car drivers have the worst case of road rage and should just relax..

9. Put yourself in their position. We are all humans with family and friends. They are just going by doing their own thing, shouldnt we all? We were all taught to share as kids, why as adults do we find that hard to do?

Im not a bike rider nor have i ever been one, i just think theres worse things to complain about. Like a stubbed toe, now thats a bitch!

And im hoing to disagree with you all

1. Everybody complains about fat people and how lazy they are, yet complains when they try and do something about eg. Ride a bike

2. Alot of places dont have bike lanes or foot paths

3. If they made special bike lanes everyone would moan about tax payers money going towards it when they reap no benefits. And how much of a waste of money it would be

4. Who cares if they dont pay rego and still use the road? Not all bike riders only ride bikes! Alot of them drive cars also! So have to pay rego still!

5. They are saving the enviroment, in thier own little way. Some people recycle, some ride bikes. Your future grand children will thank them for this

6. If you have to go slower then look at the scenary. Take it in and appriciate it. Does it matter if you arrive 10 minites later than normal? Leave 10 minites earlier in future

7. They probably cant afford a car, repayments, rego, petrol. This is the cheaper alternative when every thing else is on the rise (except our pay) and this is one area they can afford to cut back on to surrive in this wirld.

8. Car drivers are just as bad as bikers when it comes to additude. Car drivers think they own the road when its actually shared between truckers, motor bikes, push bikes and the occcasional hitch hiker. Car drivers have the worst case of road rage and should just relax..

9. Put yourself in their position. We are all humans with family and friends. They are just going by doing their own thing, shouldnt we all? We were all taught to share as kids, why as adults do we find that hard to do?

Im not a bike rider nor have i ever been one, i just think theres worse things to complain about. Like a stubbed toe, now thats a bitch!

Couldn't agree more and I'm a bike rider so you all hate me 😀.

Now cyclists riding side by side....that does annoy me!

Re dog poo Vs horse poo, dog poo can contain dangerous bacteria which can cause blindness in humans ( I think children are particularly susceptible, also most likely to stick their fingers in it!) and due to the high protein content of dogs' diets the poo degrades really slowly so stays around on pavements and in parks for aaages
Horse poo is mostly fibre so breaks down fast and doesn't contain harmful bacteria (source: I checked after getting hit in the face after a stableyard water fight got out of hand, lol).

But basically it all comes down to good manners, doesn't it? Horse riders & cyclists shouldn't block the road and should thank considerate drivers. Drivers need to remember that we were all learners once and made our mistakes on the road too. Dog owners should pick up after their dogs, and so on...

Sent from my HTC Desire X using SalonGeek mobile app

I do agree to an extent. I was at a very busy roundabout the other day with a cyclist! She was never going to get going fast enough to get going round there without a car hitting her ... But she did and the car had to emergency stop so I don't think they should be allowed at situations like this! On the other hand god forbid I couldn't afford a car or public transport and had to rely on on a bike to get me everywhere even work! Oh and another thing! It's illegal to leave dog crap on the path but not horse crap on the road!!!! That really irritates me!

You know what frustrates me? Bicycles. Actually, to be more specific, what really pisses me off are people who ride bicycles on the road. Before I started writing this rant, I was planning on discussing motorbike riders, but as I was driving home from a short trip, I managed to get stuck behind some idiot riding his push-bike on the highway. From 60mph down to approximately 10mph. In the following article, I’d like to discuss exactly why bicycle riders are the biggest ********s on our roads, and why they should stick to the footpath.

I mentioned at the beginning of the article about my run-in with the bicycle rider, and this, as far as I’m concerned, is one of the main reasons why they simply shouldn’t be allowed on the roads. When the average speed limit is 60mph, how often do you see a cyclist riding at the same speed as the motorists around them? If it is illegal for a motorists to drive significantly slower than the speed limit, why are cyclists given a free pass? The simple fact is, when a cyclist is riding slowly, they disturb the flow of traffic, they cause motorists to want to change lanes unnecessarily and in-turn, all they’re doing is creating a greater risk of an accident.

The last, and undoubtedly the most important reason why bicycles shouldn’t be allowed on the roads, is safety. The fact of the matter is, it just isn’t safe for a cyclist to be sharing a lane with a motor vehicle that is travelling 60mph or more. We hear time and time again about motorbike riders being involved in (near) fatal incidents when they collide with cars, and despite this, the RTA still finds it acceptable for people to ride bicycles (which not only go slower, but are even less safe if the rider is involved in an accident) on the road? I’m sorry, but when the average cyclist wears little to no protective clothing and when the average cyclist wears a helmet which only covers the top half of their head (as opposed motorbike helmets which cover their whole head), who in their right mind would find this safe? If a cyclist gets into an accident with a car going even 40mph they’re ******

There are those people who will then argue that if cyclists rode on the footpath, they’d be a danger to pedestrians. Well, let’s weigh this up shall we? What’s worse – a cyclist hitting a pedestrian going 10mph or a car hitting a cyclist going 60mph? The pedestrian might have a broken arm/leg, perhaps even some scratching, what does the cyclist face in the second scenario? All the injuries of the pedestrian in the first case, with the added possibly of death! If there are too many pedestrians on the footpath then the cyclist could just slow down – worst case scenario, he rides a little slower for a few metres, or god forbid, he has to get off and walk next to his bike for a brief moment .

To me, this sounds a lot less inconvenient that having a whole line of cars slow down, which then causes traffic and changing lanes (now affecting the flow of traffic in the other lane) because some inconsiderate ****** was either too cheap to purchase a car or wanted to ‘save the earth’ on his commute to work.

In my opinion, the only place when riding a bike on the road would be feasible is in the CBD during peak-hour traffic, when cars are moving slow to begin with – but even then, the fact still stands, it’s just too dangerous. We can’t be making exceptions, either get them off all the roads or let them ride on each one. We all know the latter isn’t happening though!

Cyclists are the idiots of the road for so many reasons. They don’t pay for registration, so they reap all the benefits of using the roads without having to pay for them. They slow down traffic to a crawl as motorists focus on not hitting them but at the same time trying to get around them. And they pedal on their ignorant merry way, in those stupid lycra suits, oblivious to the problems and frustrations they are causing behind them.

If the government wants cyclists on the roads so badly, then they should have dedicated bike lanes. This way, they aren’t put at risk of being hit or run-over, and motorists aren’t inconvenienced or forced into unnecessary evasive manoeuvres. Until then, either invest in a car, catch public transport or walk like everyone else. As far as I’m**concerned, if it doesn’t have a motor then it doesn’t belong on the roads – you can save the planet some other way.

Firstly my average speed on a bike is approximately 18mph to 22mph- although my partner often hits 30 plus. Would you want me hitting your child at 30mph?
Secondly I find the biggest ********s of the road to be arrogant car drivers- you do not pay road tax, you pay vehicles emitions (why can't I figure out how to spell that?) Duty.
I always move over for cars but my partner wont because lets face it, even in my hi vis gear, flashing lights and bright purple cycling shorts most cars still seem to be paying so little attention to the road that they don't notice me.
Maybe if there were not so many arrogant 4x4 drivers on the road, who deliberately drive aggressively up the backside of bike users then we would be more inclined to move over?
I agree on the cycle lanes but then again there are dedicated cycle wait areas at most traffic lights but us cyclists are hard presses to get to them as they are usually hidden by the cars of drivers who do not seem to know the highway code.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
I have horses and I thing your quite wrong about that. At least we wear the correct gear and are insured.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Except those that wear green and brown, ride brown horses and moan because you didn't see them, try not to wear camouflage and we would have seen you

Firstly my average speed on a bike is approximately 18mph to 22mph- although my partner often hits 30 plus. Would you want me hitting your child at 30mph?
Secondly I find the biggest Douchbags of the road to be arrogant car drivers- you do not pay road tax, you pay vehicles emitions (why can't I figure out how to spell that?) Duty.
I always move over for cars but my partner wont because lets face it, even in my hi vis gear, flashing lights and bright purple cycling shorts most cars still seem to be paying so little attention to the road that they don't notice me.
Maybe if there were not so many arrogant 4x4 drivers on the road, who deliberately drive aggressively up the backside of bike users then we would be more inclined to move over?
I agree on the cycle lanes but then again there are dedicated cycle wait areas at most traffic lights but us cyclists are hard presses to get to them as they are usually hidden by the cars of drivers who do not seem to know the highway code.

At the end of the day if you don't shift out the way you will come off the worst - I will just need some T-Cut. Tell me, do you read the guardian?

Surrey Girl through and through x

You should all come and experience the roads where I live and then you would have to learn to share! :lick:

Horses, pedestrians, dogs, farm animals, bikes, tractors, old people driving at 40mph everywhere (even in a 30) and tourists meandering is normal.

Haha us meandering tourists are scared of you crazy islanders ;) Anyone who impatiently overtakes us round here, Sam says "Mummy I think they're from the Isle of Wight". ;) :)

Round here we do have some cycle paths but not many, and they're not always used. However the biggest problem is they don't wear helmets, high vis clothing and they don't have lights. One day my son and I were sat in a line of traffic at the lights, waiting to go straight ahead, in the left lane a cyclist came cycling past and hurrah he was wearing a high vis jacket, he was wearing a helmet with a light on and there were lights on the front and back of his bike. My son and I actually cheered. Problem was he didn't slow down, sped up in fact, went through a red light and turned right across a lane of oncoming traffic! I despair.

We have another guy in this area who rides a chopper style bike on the roads, he's an old boy, doesn't stop at junctions and doesn't even keep his head up, he cycles slumped over looking at the floor! How he's not been knocked off or worse, killed is beyond me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
At the end of the day if you don't shift out the way you will come off the worst - I will just need some T-Cut. Tell me, do you read the guardian?

Actually you would because I would sue your impatient, arrogant ass.

What is your obsession with the guardian? Is the Sun more suited to your level or The Daily Mail at a push?

Actually you would because I would sue your impatient, arrogant ass.

What is your obsession with the guardian? Is the Sun more suited to your level or The Daily Mail at a push?

Bring it on! Maybe your just jealous because my husband and I can afford to drive around on our 4x4s.

As for the guardian - well it's people like you that read it. Your usually Eco warriors, pro nanny state, left wing supporting freedom fighters.

Yes, I do read the daily mail.

Tell me, if you hit my car whilst weaving through traffic, how would I make a claim? Oh yes, I wouldn't because your NOT INSURED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back