The perils of learning to drive : S

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucyann

Reaction score
Hi everone, I've been learning to drive for the past couple of months and today, 15 minutes into my lesson, I was driving along quite happily and noticed a man on a bike in the cycling lane (which is on a pavement, and a great big wide cycling lane at that) He was swerving about a bit, so I slowed down a little incase he swerved into the road.

WELL. As it's a busy road, there is one of those crossing parts with the raised bit in the middle, the swerving cyclist decided to cross the over WITH OUT LOOKING! So, I braked so I wouldn't knock him off his bike, if I hadn't then I think he would have been under the wheels! And a few seconds later another car drove into the back of me:Scared: :cry:

I have since been reasured that it wasn't my fault, it was primarily the cyclists for not looking, it's a bloody busy road anyway so why he didn't feel the need to look is beyond me :eek: Then apparently, it was the other drivers fault for not paying attention, and it was quite a time before they hit our car.

Has anyone else had any mishaps while learning to drive? I'm sat here feeling pretty sorry for myself, and wondered if anyone had any stories from their learning days? I'm pretty certain I'm not the only learner to be in an accident:o

You definitely did the right thing; the cyclist could have been killed if you hadn't braked (even though it was his fault for swerving into your path without looking); and the other driver that went into the back of you wasn't paying attention, just like you said! Or they might have been tailgating too close to the back of your car otherwise...
Posted via Mobile Device

It certainly wasnt your fault hun and dont let this put you off at all! You dont the right thing and reacted which shows your a good driver.

Im learning to drive also and ive had plenty of mishaps.

Firstly ive had people pull out of turnings just as im approaching the junction (Why would you pull out in front of a blooming learner?)
A month ago i was driving in the car and it just broke down (lovely focus zetec) and is still in the garage a month later being fixed the engine or exhaust has gone completely.
And then on the day of my test last week (I failed) the new mini i was driving was playing up a little bit but got me through my test, but after my test i broke down so now ive broke two of my instructors cars lol

But im sure it will all be worth it, its more of a pain all the money you have to pay out!!

Oh lord, you poor thing! I'm learning to drive at the minute and I hate hate hate it, I'm white-knuckled the entire 90 minutes. I've not had a lesson for 3 weeks whilst I've been away...going on Sunday :eek:

I do find that some people are real *ahems* when it comes to learner drivers - do they not remember how horrible it was learning to drive?! Some people are really nice and let you out and things and junctions but most are right tosspots.

Well I'm not overly keen on driving anyway, I just get nervous before hand but once I get going I'm fine. I've told myself that I won't let this put me off and my instructor has booked me in for next thursday so I'll probably be a wreck wednesday night! I just wish I took lessons years a go and not left it til now :irked: I feel really stupid even though I don't think I'm to blame :cry:

Other drivers do really p!ss me off! They can see clear as day that it's a Learner car, yet they drive right close up behind which makes me nervous. I'm insured on my boyfriends car too which has L plates on it, and when he's driving, people don't know he's not the learner but they still cut him off and act like knobs. It really does make me not want to drive :cry: I'd quite happily carry on being a passenger

Good lass, get back on the horse and all that!

Please don't feel down, it is much beter to get this sort of thing out of the way now while you have someone with you. Not long after I had passed, I was in a minor accident and was in the car on my own and the other driver went ape at me, and I was really upset, thankfully, I believe you learn a lot about driving when you are involved in an accident (haven't had one since), as it makes you more aware of what other drivers might do.
It is natural to feel this way after something like this happens, thankfully no-one was hurt. Hope the cyclist was apologetic.

Please don't feel down, it is much beter to get this sort of thing out of the way now while you have someone with you. Not long after I had passed, I was in a minor accident and was in the car on my own and the other driver went ape at me, and I was really upset, thankfully, I believe you learn a lot about driving when you are involved in an accident (haven't had one since), as it makes you more aware of what other drivers might do.
It is natural to feel this way after something like this happens, thankfully no-one was hurt. Hope the cyclist was apologetic.

Nope. He just went on his merry way. I don't think he knew what he had caused! I was thinking maybe he was drunk judging by the way he was swerving on the path. It's just beyond me why the hell he didn't look! It's a fairly busy road (Up by Asda Ruth Mills!)

Oh lord, you poor thing! I'm learning to drive at the minute and I hate hate hate it, I'm white-knuckled the entire 90 minutes. I've not had a lesson for 3 weeks whilst I've been away...going on Sunday :eek:

I do find that some people are real *ahems* when it comes to learner drivers - do they not remember how horrible it was learning to drive?! Some people are really nice and let you out and things and junctions but most are right tosspots.

they are just preparing you for when you've passed and your then on your own it doesnt get any better im afraid most are still right tosspots lol you constantly have to have your wits about you cyclists are the worst!

one pulled out infront of me the other day coming out of a one way street!! why he thought the rules of the road didnt apply to him i'll never know he then went on to cycle infront of me turning round to taunt me he's lucky he didn't accidently on purpose end up under my wheels!!

I left it till I was 28 but I did it and I am glad I did. Just carry on and dont let it get you down.

Latest posts

Back