Performing rights society

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pazzy

Reaction score
Anyone received letters from this company. Its a licsense to play music in your business/ salon where your serving the public.

I am mobile and really annoyed that I have got 2 so far - one saying I was still breaking the law. I now have to make a phone call to tell them I don't need one.

Just shows they send them out to any business reguardless.

paula

I wonder if they just go through business register records and those who aren't on their books, they automatically send a letter to.

It'd be interesting to see what they say if you are mobile and don't use music but the client puts on their own CD in their house.

I'm sure there will be the usual excuses. I'm waiting to speak to them - but annoyed that i have to call them just to prove myself.

There will be lots of people unaware of the fact they need a liscence to play music in their premises - which is ridiculous - if you have already bought and paid for a CD. And if the client goes out and also buys the Cd then who exactly is loosing out? unfortunately the business owner - as usual. Just another way of squeezing as much blood out of a business.

Anyone else had a letter ?

:irked:i had a nightmare with this company... or society! they rang asked when i opened, and then sent me a backdated bill for 18 months! i asked if they would discount it because i wasnt aware i needed one. the answer to that was NO! they also threatened me with court if i didnt pay up! payed it for a quiet life, but decided they wouldnt get another penny out of me.then found out you can have a tv liscense instead and play music channels off the tv... great idea, plus you can watch the soaps when your cashing up etc....:green:

Its a bloody rip off isnt it?? I got the letter, and it was along the lines of "we so this so that the poor artists are getting paid for their music to be played" Oh yes, the poor artists who are earning stupid amounts of money, who are already getting paid when you buy the CD, or when the radio company pays for the broadcasting rights. What a con.

Has anyone responded by saying they dont play music in the salon? Also, is this licence per business or per premises? I rent a room in a hairdressers, and its quite open plan, so a) I can hear the music that the hair salon plays, and b) she already has the licence, so would I have to pay if I decided to play it too?

I havent responded to the letter, if they have the audacity to send me a bill, they will be told to do a pelican impression (ie they can stick their bill up their a*se)

I thought this was to do with how many people were working and hour many hours the music was played.

Do u need a licence if theres just one person????

Here is a link to the Performing rights society website:
Health and beauty industry

Any location or premises, outside of home, where music is played from clubs to concert halls, from discos to dentists’ waiting rooms and from trains to takeaways. The owner/proprietor of the premises is normally responsible for obtaining a PRS Music Licence for the public performance of copyright music.
How that would work for mobile therapists, is any ones guess.....
HTH

I understood (although I could be wrong) that you could play a radio without a licence but if you wanted to play cd's you'd need one x

Oh and the fine would probably be less than the cost of a licence:confused:x

lol I think it applies to CD playing as well.

Its ridiculous !!! 5 stylists chairs or 30 people in a dressers costs 66.94 to play Radio/ CD ..................

Set rate for Beauty establishments.

The hours X people rate ii referred to earlier is for factories etc...

The worlds gone mad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Just read some of the info Christine and it covers Radio as well..... so its basically music no matter where it comes from....what ever next lol

What a crock - it says 'this tariff may not cover all uses in your premises - other charges may apply under other tariffs.

Does anyone know if the same sort of thing applies in Australia?

If you have premises, you have to have a license to play the radio AND a license to play CD's (if you do of course). So 1 from PRS & the other from PPL (can't remember what the initials stand for lol).

Yet more expense but undercover employees of the societies have been known to go 'snooping' to make sure you have the correct licenses :eek:

i gave in and paid for a license, after been phoned on a weekly basis for over a year, they don't give up.

:irked:i had a nightmare with this company... or society! they rang asked when i opened, and then sent me a backdated bill for 18 months! i asked if they would discount it because i wasnt aware i needed one. the answer to that was NO! they also threatened me with court if i didnt pay up! payed it for a quiet life, but decided they wouldnt get another penny out of me.then found out you can have a tv liscense instead and play music channels off the tv... great idea, plus you can watch the soaps when your cashing up etc....:green:

Great Idea , I think I would much rather do this too

I just wondered if they carry on ringing up for a whole year
they dont seem to interested in taking matters to court ,

I mean a year is along time not to start court procedures ,
has anyone ever been taken to court over this ? :hug: x

i always told them i didnt play music by an artist, only calming ocean music which is exempt

lOVE THIS IDEA, it'll be cheaper for me aswell, wayhey!

As soon as they get you for your PRS liscence you then get your bill for a PPL

Latest posts

Back