Perm ruined hair, advice for a Nail Geek

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelnailz

Reaction score
hi hope you all can help!

Im a nail geek. one of my clients is a hairdresser with about 5 years service, i ghd curl my hair everyday in loose waves so she suggested a looses perm so i could just wash and leave. I thought it was a great idea. now my hair is wreaked, broken frazzled, breaking off, really rough texture im so upset. she says my hair was just maybe too over processed. I dye my hair red with xxl but it was in not bad condition before, glossy and smooth, any bleach etc ive ever had grown out, she used a mild wella perm. there is no curl in hair, its just frizzy. even with loads of oil and the like its stil horrible. she used blue/grey rollers and left the perm on for 30 mins before neutralising. ive had perms years ago that were left on for 10 mins but she left this one on for 30 mins so must be different.

Ive spoke to her but shes blaming my hair, its awkward cos shes a lovely girl and a good client but im devastated at the state of my hair. will it just stay like this till its cut/grown out?

have you hair geeks any advice on conditioning etc? thanks. Karen xxx

did she do any strand/suitability tests first?

Hi thanks for the reply,,no she didn't x

i use biolife and for coloured hair its 20 mins at the most so i would think wella would be about the same...as for perming when u use xxl i wouldnt have dared risk it without testin first!!! best you can do is use a restructurin protien spray and condition like maaddd! u will need regular cuts too..it will be ok you just need to really pamper your hair while the perm grows out.and i would be careful with the straightners too for a while. this is just my opinion though as i havent seen ur hair before or after but if it was mine thats what i would do xxx

How awful for you. Sadly, I think she probably made a mistake by not taking some test pieces first before perming your whole head. She should have done an elasticity test at the very least. Especially if she knew you used XXL and ghd's regularly.

XXL is pretty awful stuff (contains metallic salts) and combined with daily use of heated appliances will have damaged your hair even if you can't see it yourself. Hence, the frizz and breakages following the perm. However, I don't use Wella so can't comment on the suitability of the product chosen.

Coating your hair in lots of oil won't really improve the condition. You need something that will treat and semi repair the damage. Visit a good salon who sell Joico, TIGi or similar and ask for a consultation and see what they make of the hair and which products they advise.

Perms usually drop a bit over time but don't be tempted to DIY until you've had a consultation from an experienced pro first. You could easily cause more harm using the wrong stuff.

oh my goodness its vital to take strand or imcompatibility tests with any perm any hairdresser worth their scissors would know that, let alone on hair that is coloured with Live XXL (its full of many nasties that react badly with perm solution, the consequences of this perm could have been so much worse for you lovie, you really should stay away from that stuff and find a good stylist that can give you the colour you desire) xxx
wella curl it mild is usually recommended to be on colour treated hair for around 8 minutes,it was definitely of for too long xxx

thank you for all the great advice. I have an appointment in a week at a reputable salon in town, so I`m sure they will advise too. I was trying meantime to help it because its actually embarrassed for me to turn up with my hair like this. I have learned my lesson here, and although shes a lovely girl I think in this case she prob could have done more ie testing hair etc but my fault too i guess for not thinking to ask about a strand test.

xxx

oh my goodness its vital to take strand or imcompatibility tests with any perm any hairdresser worth their scissors would know that, let alone on hair that is coloured with Live XXL (its full of many nasties that react badly with perm solution, the consequences of this perm could have been so much worse for you lovie, you really should stay away from that stuff and find a good stylist that can give you the colour you desire) xxx
wella curl it mild is usually recommended to be on colour treated hair for around 8 minutes,it was definitely of for too long xxx

omg 8 mins! oh no 22 minutes too long then :Scared:

thank you for all the great advice. I have an appointment in a week at a reputable salon in town, so I`m sure they will advise too. I was trying meantime to help it because its actually embarrassed for me to turn up with my hair like this. I have learned my lesson here, and although shes a lovely girl I think in this case she prob could have done more ie testing hair etc but my fault too i guess for not thinking to ask about a strand test.

xxx
aw don't beat yourself up lovie, its always hard when its someone you like but she should have known better, afterall not every client knows about the various tests etc. TIGI have some great repair products, i'm not totally clued up on them but maybe PM Bluerinse or Theden- the resident salon geek TIGI experts, for which conditioner etc would help:hug:xxx

Hi just wanted to sat thanks again for the advice, hair is feeling much better and im working on it daily xx

Hi just wanted to sat thanks again for the advice, hair is feeling much better and im working on it daily xx
it was a pleasure lovie :hug: xxx

Latest posts

Back