Pet hates?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binny

Reaction score
As a nail tech I have a pet hate and it happened again today.......It absolultly drives me crazy when I turn up to to a treatment for someone and they have a friend or relative there who is taking a great interest in what im doing (which is nice, could be future client) But then it happens........The client then says "why dont you have something done now while she is here"!!!!

:mad:Do they not realise that you have a diary and that maybe someone else is booked in straight after them!!!

I explain as nicely as i can that I only booked out enough time for the treatment she requested and I am due somewhere else after this appointment. This is really hard for me :irked: as i just want to say " are you serious"!!!!

Anyone else find this reaaly annoying or have you your own pet hate???

x x x

pet hate - book rebalance appointment, they cancel and re-book 1 week plus later and then complain they have problems - yes that is why your appt was booked for last week!

grrrrrrrrrrr

Yes it drives me crazy too. :irked:

Some people just don't Think that we have other people to visit. Has anyone asked you to call your next appointment to advise them you will be late. I always say i'm sorry i can't do that but i can come back at ??? a clock when i'm free.

Yes it drives me crazy too. :irked:

Some people just don't Think that we have other people to visit. Has anyone asked you to call your next appointment to advise them you will be late. I always say i'm sorry i can't do that but i can come back at ??? a clock when i'm free.
No way!!!!! the look on my face if anyone asked me to do that.......they would have to pick my jaw up from the floor! x

Ive recently had a couple of clients that stand there watching me set up.:irked:I arrive 10 minutes early ,and i just like to be left alone to get it all out,and then when ive finished the treatment they watch me put everything away!!and then i have to remind them i do need paying please...hello!!:irked:

Ok, before I share my "pet hate" with you, you need to understand:

Where I live, it is CUSTOMARY to tip the technician. It's considered part of their salary: nail techs, hairdressers, gas station attendants, waitresses, bartenders..... the list goes on.
And the rule of thumb is 15% is the standard tip rate.
If a tip is not left, then it's supposed to mean that the person offering the service gave a poor service.
This is CUSTOMARY. Those of us in these sorts of jobs EXPECT tips.

Having explained that...
My "pet hate" is having a client show up in a fancy car, expensive clothes, talking about her new bathroom in which she installed a $1500 new vanity (just for the vanity, which btw, mine cost 100.00 tx included, just to give you a clue), chooses the most expensive service, pays for nail art with the works, orders a fortune in Avon Products... (so in other words, clearly has funds...)
BUT
NEVER LEAVES A TIP!!
It's a HUGE insult.:irked: (and then they keep coming back, so clearly not dissatisfied with the service...)

Out here, we sort of calculate tips into our salary, and must declare them on our taxes.
So, for example: waitresses and hairdressers etc, work for below minimum wage BECAUSE they will make tips that bump up their salary. This minimum is set by the government labour boards, and they set a different one for the waitresses and other similar service people.

So that's my pet hate.
And before you reply, remember that Canada & the US are different than the UK in regards to 'tipping'.

:hug:

My pet hate is when doing nails the client keeps trying to lift her hands to face herself to have a better view of what you are doing or to keep checking wot you have done like every 2 secs,while you are in the middle of trying to apply acrylic or something and as you are holding there finger in place and there hand is so stiff by trying to pull it away from you or in general they just keep there hands so tense even when you are just dong a F & P. it really annoys me because it then gives me cramp between my index finger and thumb trying to hold there finger in place!!! And it gets to me more when i have already told them about 6 or 7 times " can you just relax yer hand for me please"
I feel like screaming relax yer fecking hand!!!

My pet hate is when doing nails the client keeps trying to lift her hands to face herself to have a better view of what you are doing or to keep checking wot you have done like every 2 secs,while you are in the middle of trying to apply acrylic or something and as you are holding there finger in place and there hand is so stiff by trying to pull it away from you or in general they just keep there hands so tense even when you are just dong a F & P. it really annoys me because it then gives me cramp between my index finger and thumb trying to hold there finger in place!!! And it gets to me more when i have already told them about 6 or 7 times " can you just relax yer hand for me please"
Hee Hee lol.

Stiff hands are the worst!!! x

One of my pet hates used to be clients who waited until AFTER you had completed all ten nails Square (which they had requested in the first place) to tell you they would prefer them oval (or visa versa).

I learned and I used to tell them ... I can change the shape for you but it will cost 5.00 extra for the added time as what we agreed at the start was that you wanted square!! :irked:

Some do the same with enamel colour. Wait til you've painted all ten perfectly and then say they'd prefer another colour --- that costs them even more :)

Pet hates....where do i start....:lol:

My main pet hate,is misuse with after care....solar oil,cucumber heel therapy,etc.....when i KNOW they have not been used....and the cuticles have not shrunk back,and dry as a bone:eek:

Regarding to what Gigi said,i had a client this week for a facial,but she was wearing enhancements....very long and very square....and proceeded to ask me at the end if i could file them down and make them oval:eek::lol:....i had a client waiting straight after for another facial and explained i had no time....

My main pet hate at the moment,is not having enhancement clients....but all will be rectified in the next month....:wink2:

My pet hate is clients who take phone calls while you are working on them! Oh and those who take 15mins to choose an enamel!

hey have to agree with all pet hates mentioned
my biggest pet hate is arriving at a clients house , starting their nails only to be asked DO YOU MIND IF I HAVE A SMOKE.
yes i bloody do mind if you smoke while i try and do your nails while coughing up a lung (as well as the fact that its not good after all the prep with the nails before u begin ur set). as a former smoker myself i did not give up my habit only to breath in other peoples smoke. even though i tell one particular client every time she asks that i would prefer if she didnt smoke, she will still ask the same question next app. makes me want to scream
ciara

People who buy product kits and bits and bobs, and do nails/waxing/massage etc 'on the side' charging a small amount (or large amount!) to family and friends, and making a bit of pocket money. I HATE THIS!!

There are people (I don't care if you are one of them it drives me mad) that do this and do not declare earnings, do not pay NICS and probably arent qualified!

This pisses me off when so many people spend thousands of pounds/dollars etc, and put in so much effort to MAKE A LIVING, and there are so many scrotes who trash peoples nails/skin/hair and charge for the privilidge!!! And don't even do it legally!

Sorry if you're an 'on the side' geek, but it riles me:!:

Well my pet hate is when the client descides to bring their screamig toddler along for the treatment. Dont get me wrong- i love kids but PLEASE leave them at home!!!

I had one client that brought her 2yr old grandson who ran round the salon like a mad thing, climbing up onto chairs and rocking them (was having a fit that he might fall off and hurt himself). He even managed to open and throw a pot of acrylic glitter that he'd found in another techs kit which i had to get up and clean half way through the treatment which made my time run over for the next client.

I even had some women that would bring their kids (in prams) into my sunbed shop and ask if i minded watching them whilst they went on the beds for 12 mis!! BLOODY CHEEK!:eek: It was only me that worked there and a pram in the middle of the shop with a kid screaming for its mum was not a good look when other customers came in. I had to ban them from bringing the children in (sounds awfull i know but i just couldnt cope).

xxxx

OMG I can't believe mum's would go for a sunbed and leave their baby in the care of a member of staff :eek: They could be the nicest therapist in the world but I still wouldnt leave my baby with them! Your child is more precious than a tan - some people have odd values :irked:

I hate it when clients dont have the patience to wait for their polish to dry and insist in sticking thier fingers on the nail to check!!! arrrgggghhh!!!:mad:

I hate it when clients dont have the patience to wait for their polish to dry and insist in sticking thier fingers on the nail to check!!! arrrgggghhh!!!:mad:
I know!!!!

I had one client, Was in the middle of polishing her nails and her phone rang in her bag and she delved straight in with wet nails and smudged them all. She said " aw sorry". I'll give you sorry!!!! had to remove the polish and start again!!!!!

OMG!!! This happens so much and is my biggest pet hate! One tech on this site said to politely say "if you can see your nails, then I can't" this is so true and I say it in a jokey way and it works a treat.

I know!!!!

I had one client, Was in the middle of polishing her nails and her phone rang in her bag and she delved straight in with wet nails and smudged them all. She said " aw sorry". I'll give you sorry!!!! had to remove the polish and start again!!!!!
I charge to re-apply polish if they ruin them

I charge to re-apply polish if they ruin them
I know, but im a bit of a soft touch like that. find it hard to be firm!!!

Latest posts

Back