PHD Waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmad

Reaction score
Been considering buying this system now I've done a basic warm waxing course.

I did a search and I can see that a few of you either bought or were using this as far back as last summer.

Just wondered how you were all getting on with them. I saw (Dee said this I think) it can be squeezed on to a spatula for doing smaller areas. Is this easy?

Its a big investment and I need to get it right. I really would like the hygiene offered by a disposable applicator method but I'm wondering if the wax itself is up to scratch.

I prefer using my normal pot and spatula method. i found PHD was really hard to use. i thought the tubes were hard to squeeze, and im a fairly strong gal. i was looking into investing in the australian body care tea tree waxing system, you can find it on the salonbs direct website. its similar application method to PHD bit cheaper too i think. and i like the fact that people recognise the australian body care brand.

Hi,
Yes I was considering the Australian Bodycare system as an alternative to PHD (being the same sort of idea).

Do you know anyone who uses it?

i was taught using the spatular and pot and must say do not find it hygenic at all. I wanted a system that was cheap and economical and hygenic. PHD is fantastic, it is easy to use and reasonably priced too and you get free training which is even better. my clients prefer it a lot better than the spatular method and is a lot cheaper also as you use all the wax with none left over. a leg wax is roughly £2 in product and the rest is profit and that includes your applicator head and strips. it comes with spatulars for smaller areas. well worth the investment and much better and more hygenic than the austrailian tea tree one

hope that helps

if you need any further info let me know

iv used the australian tea tree 1 & i have 2 say i dont like it, it has 2 b very hot 4 it 2 come out the tube as it cools down it becomes hard 2 get out (this makes waxing take longer) u can alternate between the tubes of waxing but it takes time puttin the heads on and off, if use more than 1 head per client your wastin money.

as u come 2 the end of each tube it is also harder 2 get the wax 2 come out.
i found that u use a lot more product using this system and it cost more money 2 do 1/2 leg wax than the pot and spatular system.

when the wax is hot it also drips alot more & is alot harder 2 control.

i havent used the phd waxing system but i cant c how it is any more hygeinic than the australian system.
they both have the applicater heads.

i no the pot and spatular system has bad press but if it was really that bad they would have 2 take it off the market.
if u did get a bllod spot whilst waxing a client u would throw the spatular away and use a new 1 so this helps with cross infection.

thebeautychic said:
iv used the australian tea tree 1 & i have 2 say i dont like it, it has 2 b very hot 4 it 2 come out the tube as it cools down it becomes hard 2 get out (this makes waxing take longer) u can alternate between the tubes of waxing but it takes time puttin the heads on and off, if use more than 1 head per client your wastin money.

as u come 2 the end of each tube it is also harder 2 get the wax 2 come out.
i found that u use a lot more product using this system and it cost more money 2 do 1/2 leg wax than the pot and spatular system.

when the wax is hot it also drips alot more & is alot harder 2 control.

i havent used the phd waxing system but i cant c how it is any more hygeinic than the australian system.
they both have the applicater heads.

i no the pot and spatular system has bad press but if it was really that bad they would have 2 take it off the market.
if u did get a bllod spot whilst waxing a client u would throw the spatular away and use a new 1 so this helps with cross infection.

I do sugaring and it is so much easier and cheaper! I can do a full leg, bikini line and underarm with a single piece of paste which costs less than 20p. No strips, spatulas, or applicator heads. its biodegradable, water soluble, and you have no cross contamination issues.

And because you can go over an area twice in each direction, you get a lot more or the hair.

do u make your own wax or do u buy it

thebeautychic said:
do u make your own wax or do u buy it

I buy my sugar paste ready made - you know exactly what you are working with then as you can choose different consistencies depending on which you like to work with , soft through to extra hard. I always use regular.

You can get recipes on the internet, but I wouldn't want to subject any of my clients to them! And the paste costs less than £5 per kilogram pot, so pretty cheap. I can do several hundred pounds with a single pot because you don't need very much per treatment, and you use the same piece of paste all over!

I have decided. My next course is going to be a sugaring one!

And just to tie in with the thread, I use a pot and spatula and am happy with that.

This is a late post. I found waxing with the PhD system uncomfortable. It felt odd to hold a hot tube with a little white rubber type wrap at a direction to get the flow of wax correct and then rush back to the booster to place the tube back for heat then rush to the strips to begin hair removal and the whole time your hands are sweating pools of water in the gloves.

I have been using the pot method for years and years, in a safe hygienic manner. The costs of the pots of wax are a pentence compared to the "gimmick" system of tubes, resovoir heads and misc. items you use with this system.

Couldn't agree more! Pot and spatula for me. Used it for years, no problems, cheap, reliable. From a hygiene point of view ensure your client is properly prepped for her treatment and you shouldn't have any problems. Wax is wax is wax...its all in the skill of the therapist (your technique) This doesn't sound very professional but I use whatever is on offer at the suppliers - creme/warm/teatree etc. I'm comfortable using any and at the end of the day they all give a great result. I hate gimmicky scare mongering...
Julie

I have used PHD for past 5 years, find it easy and quick as well as hygenic my clients prefer it. Now they have brought out 2 smaller sized applicator heads it's even better. Wouldn't use anything else.

:hug::hug:
Treacle

Beauty Therapist, nail tech

Couldnt get away with phd whatsoever.

Loved the idea but it was such a hassle to use. Im mobile and to do an eyebrow wax quickly - was a nightmare.

I would rather use a new spatula for every stroke of the wax than go back to phd. Much cheaper.

Tbh when you think about the pot and spatula application - there is little or no direct contact with the skin - which is cleansed with a tea tree oil based cleanser anyway. And obviously you dont go over a blood spotted area with the spatula either. The only time cross infection with wax would have occured was with the hot wax that was seived and re-used A LONG TIME AGO - yuk!!

Loved the idea but it was such a hassle to use. Im mobile and to do an eyebrow wax quickly - was a nightmare.

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd add my comments.

I am mobile too and tried the PhD system, hated it and went back to pot and spat method.

As mentioned above, I liked the idea, but I thought it was horrible to use.

Marlise

I'm about to get into waxing ... I've seen PHD demo'd at Professional Beauty etc. Its a really nice idea and I like the marketing opportunities it gives. However doesn't it limit you a bit with the types of wax you can use?

Spa Revolutions ---- Please look at this site ---Perfectsense Paraffin
I use this system for my paraffin wax
Welcome to Spa Revolutions

Linda

Hi Linda,

The above system looks interesting, but is not relevant to the thread.

Marlise

I use the ABC system. As a novice waxer I just couldn't crack the pot and spatula method, I was just sooooooo messy and so looked at alternatives. It has taken me a while to get the set up of the temperature as i need it, but now I have I love it! I'm not worried about the gimmicky sales pitch, I like the wax, the cleanliness of it (boy have I seen some dirty wax pots in my time! Makes you think it it's like that on the outside then what is it like on the inside), that I don't get wax everywhere. I don't enjoy waxing and anything that makes my life easier has to be a bonus!

... and blimey this thread was resurrected from the depths of the geeky vault!

I use the ABC system. As a novice waxer I just couldn't crack the pot and spatula method, I was just sooooooo messy and so looked at alternatives. It has taken me a while to get the set up of the temperature as i need it, but now I have I love it! I'm not worried about the gimmicky sales pitch, I like the wax, the cleanliness of it (boy have I seen some dirty wax pots in my time! Makes you think it it's like that on the outside then what is it like on the inside), that I don't get wax everywhere. I don't enjoy waxing and anything that makes my life easier has to be a bonus!

... and blimey this thread was resurrected from the depths of the geeky vault!

I think you are lucky because you started off using the system while mastering your waxing technique - but if your going from a pot and spatula then you just find the whole system a nightmare.

I have to say i love using my phd waxing system, not had any problems either being mobile, i just heat it before i go and have adaptor for the car lighter bit and plug it in until i get to the client.

I just feel i can work faster with the phd and i was such a messy waxer before:lol: no mess now:green:

Latest posts

Back