Please be clear about subject when giving a thread a title

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have noticed quite a few threads including the abbreviations EE and OMG. One was just titled OMG and the other one was OMG help me please.

I'm still not 100% what OMG is but to me it means 'Oh My G*d' or 'Oh My Gosh'. Can you imagine what one thinks when they see a thread title, omg please help me?

OMG does come up in the search facility but EE does not under posts or thread titles, hence the importance of heading a thread without obscure abbreviations.

Is it too difficult to type in Eyelash Extension Advice Please?

Hi you are correct Omg does mean oh my god. But the post you are referring to is talking about a spray tan company called Omg so i don't think that it could have been written any other way.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

As usual, this thread has had no affect at all on the members of this site. Have you seen the forums today after I have been absent for the best part of a week ? Awful and I will be spending the next hour or so adding caps, removing multiple !!!! Or ??? Or ....... And spelling mistakes Etc to make us look nice again.

Can anyone explain why so many write collAge instead of collEge? Wouldn't you think if one attended a college one would see it written somewhere to know how to spell it?. :eek:

And don't we DRAW with a pencil and keep things in a DRAWER?

I believe we have an above average number of members with poor spelling and grammar skills because we are all extremely artistic :)

Poor writing skills are apparently associated with artistic tendencies. Obviously that's not a hard and fast rule, but it does go some way towards an explanation.

On saying that, it bugs the hell out of me all the same lol

I believe we have an above average number of members with poor spelling and grammar skills because we are all extremely artistic :)

Poor writing skills are apparently associated with artistic tendencies. Obviously that's not a hard and fast rule, but it does go some way towards an explanation.

Man, they find a big fat excuse for everything these days. I am artistic, my whole family is artistic and they are all well educated and can spell,

How about ... no one spells well these days because no one teaches them to spell??I think that would be colser to the truth.

As usual, this thread has had no affect at all on the members of this site. Have you seen the forums today after I have been absent for the best part of a week ? Awful and I will be spending the next hour or so adding caps, removing multiple !!!! Or ??? Or ....... And spelling mistakes Etc to make us look nice again.

You're nicer than I am, Gigi! I would have simply ignored the posts OR deleted them since some folks are simply too lazy to follow forum rules. If they can't show others respect..... why do they deserve to receive it?

Mod's time would be better spent answering questions versus working as English teachers.

Hi you are correct Omg does mean oh my god. But the post you are referring to is talking about a spray tan company called Omg so i don't think that it could have been written any other way.

Obviously it's impossible for one to be familiar with every brand of product. And I think it's pretty clear that everyone uses OMG to mean Oh my gosh. Having said that, they COULD have titled the thread "omg spray tan" at the very least. As has been said before on this thread and others "Help me please" is the last thing that should be in the title of a thread.

I feel that this is a poor excuse and hardly relates to titling threads properly. Poor writing skills (such as grammar/spelling/punctuation) has nothing to do with knowing the subject of what you're talking about and being able to indicate the subject in a title.

Frankly, I feel it's more of a generation thing. I find myself correcting my daughter's spelling and such in her homework, while her teacher doesn't. Also, far too many rely upon spell-check versus learning how to spell something properly.

In any case, this isn't about poor english.
It's about indicating the subject.

As VHunter said, a heading of OMG Spray Tan Query or Recommendations for OMG Spray Tanning would be so much better than OMG!
So, I disagree because it can be written another way or with better explanation.

I am artistic and dyslexic and I can spell, punctuate and correct my grammar :)

As has been said before, occasional errors are fine. Nobody is perfect, however the continuous, no effort and can't be bothered approach is disrespectful, lazy and not professional.

Surely all artistic people make an effort to correct formal letters, Curriculum Vitae's etc... when writing them?

Oh no, I am a little paranoid now. I do really try hard to correct my spellings, even editing them when I have made a typo if I see it. My spell checker also doesn't work for some reason.

I am guilty of putting a couple of !!. I don't know why I do it but will stop.

I also didn't realise that you spent time making amendments Geeg and I am really sorry if you have had to change mine. Do you think people realise this happens?

I once put a nail photo in my album and made the title, does anyone know what my nail condition is? I noticed my title got changed to Could Onycholysis be linked to under-active Thyroid? and I wondered why or who had changed the title. I couldn't have titled my post to the changed one because I wasn't looking to link it to my under-active Thyroid or know what the condition was.

It's good to learn though.

If I am one of the guilty ones I will try harder.

I don't know whose posts I corect. I never look, I just correct them and title them to work with the search engine.

I agree with Mrs Clooney ... its the general disrespect/laziness that really irritates me. Not the odd spelling mistake. Everyone should work towards keeping our site lloking respectable and professional and be glad to do it.

I've always understood that artistic people are better at English and more likely to fail in the mathematical areas, obviously this doesn't apply to everyone but I think its a general rule. So no excuses for being lazy about our spelling. And text speak is very very irritating, someone had put neway instead of anyway - why? is that extra letter too difficult? :irked:

I cannot stand text speak myself. Someone wrote a text saying 'bi' at the end instead of 'bye'.

Why? There is no point.

Others can be a mistake like I think the poster Geeg has accidentally put "lloking" because of maybe typing fast.
So maybe this can be accidental. I have found also a lot of people cannot spell the easiest of words which is the fault of their teaching.

First of all, hats off to those who give up their time voluntarily to make this site function so well. Thank-you.
As to correct spelling and punctuation I would agree that we should all do our best to communicate in a clear manner, to the best of our ability. I must admit, though, that when I've looked back at some my posts I have spotted mistakes which I must have missed at the time......and dare I say it but that is true of everyone on here!

REMINDER: This thread is about creating the appropriate title for a thread instead of simply writing "help me".

The debate for spelling/grammar/punctuation all belongs on another thread
LOL

REMINDER: This thread is about creating the appropriate title for a thread instead of simply writing "help me".

The debate for spelling/grammar/punctuation all belongs on another thread
LOL

I don't agree entirely ... because if titles are misspelled, then the search engine cannot do its job properly. If the titles look slack and lazy then they also don't look professional and that detracts form the professionalism of this site too and, even more importantly, it causes me and others allot of extra work that should be unnecessary. It is all related.

No one claims to be perfect, to the poster above ... but we try. It is the ones who don't care and don't make any attempt to try that should be listening. Others do not need to get defensive over a few typing errors and incorrectly spelled words.:hug:

I don't agree entirely ... because if titles are misspelled, then the search engine cannot do its job properly. If the titles look slack and lazy then they also don't look professional and that detracts form the professionalism of this site too and, even more importantly, it causes me and others allot of extra work that should be unnecessary. It is all related.

No one claims to be perfect, to the poster above ... but we try. It is the ones who don't care and don't make any attempt to try that should be listening. Others do not need to get defensive over a few typing errors and incorrectly spelled words.:hug:
Gigi, do you think the geeks who should be reading this thread and paying attention to it, are reading it and paying attention? Is this information reaching the people it should? Or is it that they can't be bothered by the very title of this thread and just carry on... lazy, can't be bothered, don't care and think some of us are just too uptight, need to chillout and stop being critical?

Gigi, do you think the geeks who should be reading this thread and paying attention to it, are reading it and paying attention? Is this information reaching the people it should? Or is it that they can't be bothered by the very title of this thread and just carry on... lazy, can't be bothered, don't care and think some of us are just too uptight, need to chillout and stop being critical?

Of course, I think exactly that! :)

I was being funny :wink2:, but only because we do have another thread on the same subject.
YES, I do think it's all related.
At the end of the day, it all amounts to the same thing: mods doing work that they shouldn't have to, and members disrespecting the forums.

Ummmmmm what if we got REALLY uptight and occasionally OOPS deleted a thread? :twisted: Nope, I don't suppose that would go over well at all, huh? Just an entertaining thought.

Please can I bump this one, as many newbies are not being specific enough with their thread titles ...

Thanks.

My pet hate is the ever increasing use of the word 'of' instead of 'have', for instance 'i would of said this...' Drives me mad! Is it a new trend because I've noticed it more and more recently, especially on this site. Moan over!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back