Please be clear about subject when giving a thread a title

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Ok,
I think it's time for a reminder..

Not to be a pita, BUT... lately, there are TONNES of threads I have chosen not to read because their thread titles were unclear about the subject.

If you want assistance, it's very important to be clear in the thread title what the subject is.
Putting "help" tells me absolutely NOTHING. Is it help with L&P? well I can't help you there. Is it silk wraps? Is it sculpting? Is it uv gel? etc etc.....

Please refer to the geek commandments http://www.salongeek.com/how-do-stuff-site/31101-commandments-geek.html#post310196

which read:

11 - Thou shalt THINK about the title of thou thread
The fastest way to get your thread ignored is by using titles like 'Help!!!??!?', 'Read this!', 'What do I do now?', etc... They are too vague and most geeks ignore them because the title doesn't say what the thread is about.​
While I'm at it, titles like 'Wot products u use 4 this?' is a great way to come across as a 14 year old trying to get your Sally Hansen bottle of nail enamel open. Most professionals will avoid threads with titles like this.​

I only read the threads who's titles are clear about the subject. THOSE get my attention. The rest, I ignore as I simply do not have the time to open one, to find that it's of no relevance to me in any shape or form.

sorry, I don't mean to be a grump...
but it's in the commandments for a reason.

ALSO, using appropriate thread titles makes it much more effective when doing searches on a given issue.

You are so right V, I have found exactly the same quite a lot lately.

Given enough time I would like to read all the threads, but unless I ditch all my clients in order to become a full time geek there are just not enough hours :lol:

Good post

Just wanted too add that I think this is a very good post!
I also have spent time lately opening posts as I do not know what they are about, and as my computer is not the most hi tech in the world it takes a time to load the post:irked:

Aswell as that though this post has reminded me to always check my wording when adding a new thread!:confused:

xxx

I try and keep on this for all of the geeks..like Victoria said, makes it easier. But What I am finding lately is one post contains 3 or 4 different topics/questions all in one.
I will try and "pick" one topic and change the title..:D

BUT that's just the thing though.......
Mod's should NOT have to edit thread titles, and posts in threads etc..

You should be MODERATING...Not doing the job of english teachers etc.
The last time I checked, moderating was: mediating disagreements, removing innapropriate threads/posts, ensuring the 'rules' of the site were adhered to, assisting anyone in need, etc (I'm sure everyone knows what a mod should be doing, and I dont need to blather on)

There's plenty enough work on this site, WITHOUT adding the job of changing thread titles and editing punctuation (for those who refuse to indicate the beginning and end of sentences and paragraphs)
If more geeks took a moment to think...and really, in many cases; it takes as much time and as many letters of the alphabet to write an appropriate title versus one that means absolutely nothing.

YES INDEED sometimes, a thread covers many things and it's hard to decide which is most relevant and requires mention in the thread. I'm well aware and have had the same quandry myself on occasion. But...
Anyway, my ummm what are people calling it these days? "BMW" fest is over :lol:
(b***h, Moan, and Whine? right?)

Hugs to everyone
:hug:

Also if you word your Thread Title correctly it helps when people with the same problem do a search!!!

Help: lifting with L&P......will come up on a search for lifting....whereas just putting the word 'Help', would just bring up a stack of threads, from I just ate a packet of out of date crisps...to I have a big spot on my nose!...and you would need to wade through to see if any mention lifting at all!!

Also if you word your Thread Title correctly it helps when people with the same problem do a search!!!

Help: lifting with L&P......will come up on a search for lifting....whereas just putting the word 'Help', would just bring up a stack of threads, from I just ate a packet of out of date crisps...to I have a big spot on my nose!...and you would need to wade through to see if any mention lifting at all!!

And certainly wouldn't help if anyone was searching through because they did have a spot on their nose either lol !!

just bumping this up again, have seen a few threads again cropping up with no idea what they are about until they are opened, so please think about the title of your threads guys.

Bump - again!

Same here ...bump...i've only been a member of the site for 4 months now and i haven't posted that much topics but when i have i have always said what the topic was about...others like help please help do nothing much for me as they don't say what it is about till you have read half way down the page.

totally agree with above.

plus if its written in one huge paragraph with no editting I just click the back button.

totally agree with above.

plus if its written in one huge paragraph with no editting I just click the back button.

DITTO.... when the paragraph is larger than my screen, <back>
I get dizzy trying to read it.

Don't scream but what about spell check? Isn't that a commandment too, thou shalt use spell check? It is there on the right hand side and granted, I don't use it as my laptop won't let me for some reason, so I just make sure I don't have too many typing errors in it.

I read mistakes and can hear myself correcting them in my head, I know that's not the OP fault, it's me hitting a brick wall and I know I need therapy for it. :hug:

I read mistakes and can hear myself correcting them in my head, I know that's not the OP fault, it's me hitting a brick wall and I know I need therapy for it. :hug:

Ditto!! But we have separate threads for that subject LMFAO:lol::hug:
But I feel your pain, I cringe all the time and want to be the teacher and correct their grammar and spelling. It drives me INSANE. It's a pet-peeve I've had to force myself to ignore. Type-o's are obvious. But some mistakes... oy lol

The spell check hates me, for whatever reason.:irked: In any case, 'most' (not all, I'm hardly perfect) of my errors are type-o's and not actual spelling errors, if that makes sense :)

Now, now, don't digress or the title of this thread will become meaningless geeks ;)

Bumping this up. Please pay attention to thread titles eg. 'Desperate', 'Fed up' or 'ST' etc.... they really tell the reader or search options nothing about the subject matter.

Could I mention also the unnecessary exclamation and question marks, please?
One of each is sufficient!

As I'm sure many of you can tell, I spend allot of time each day editing out all the exclamation marks and multiple question marks and putting a capital letter at the start of thread titles and changing i to I and moving text from titles ... it really should not be necessary for me to spend time this way. I do it out of respect for this site, to keep it looking professional and to help the search engin too. I do change titles and correct spelling mistakes. I should've been an English teacher.

I think people should respect this site more and think about how it looks to the thousands from all over the world who visit this site every day normally about 4-5000 hits per day.

Latest posts

Back