Polish under gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sachi

Reaction score
I love love love allot of the polish out there but find that it comes off fast when you type allot, then needing to re-polish. So my thought is polish with a gel over it. Do you think it would stay on? Or would the polish keep the gel from bonding right?

I think a few members have tried it with mixed results....why not just use a coloured gel....?

That would take me in to a whole new area I have not worked with yet. Plus the cost would be high. My thought was L&P with a polish and a gel overlay just to hold the color longer. On top of that, the color range in polish far out does the gel colors. I might give it a try and see what happens since others have tried it as well. Thanks!

IBD has a uv gloss that CAN go over polish.

I use Nailite sealit for french's, right over the polish. But doesn't work for full length coverage as the sealit needs rough surface to grab onto, so I 'sandwhich' the french in there.
If you look at my site, all my french's are done with Nailite Seal-it over them.
When clients come back for refill or rebalance, their french is as nice as the day they left.

Sometimes it can work depending on which brand of polish and gel you use. The trick is to make sure the polish is COMPLETLY dried, which takes about 24 hours.

An idea is to paint the nails today and add gel the next day.

Most gel topcoat needs the surface of the nail to be buffed in order for the topcoat to work properly, so instead of using a gel topcoat, you may consider using just a plain clear gel to seal it instead as it needs less of a buffed surface.

Either way, you must still be careful when applying it as the gel will pull slightly as there is no buffed surface for it to grab on to.

Angie's recommendation of using coloured gel is probably an easier option.

Sometimes it can work depending on which brand of polish and gel you use. The trick is to make sure the polish is COMPLETLY dried, which takes about 24 hours.

An idea is to paint the nails today and add gel the next day.

Most gel topcoat needs the surface of the nail to be buffed in order for the topcoat to work properly, so instead of using a gel topcoat, you may consider using just a plain clear gel to seal it instead as it needs less of a buffed surface.

Either way, you must still be careful when applying it as the gel will pull slightly as there is no buffed surface for it to grab on to.

Angie's recommendation of using coloured gel is probably an easier option.

I agree with you for the most part.

But, I do this daily. With Seal-it. I never have to wait longer than 10min for the polish to be dry (as long as you applied the polish in thin & even coats, and it's not old grubby polish).
And the IBD uv topcoat that I mentioned is designed SPECIFICALLY to go over polish. It's cured under uv light.
My clients went into a revolt the day I ran out of seal-it before my order came in. They love that their polish shows absolutely no wear & tear between appointments.

I tried using coloured gels in the beginning, but didn't find it cost effective. To spend 15-30$ on a colour that maybe no one would like? I'd much rather spend my 2-8$ on a polish and if no one likes it, it hurts less to throw it out.

Which products are you trained in?

NSI do 2 polish sealants for use with enhancements - Air & Thermo shield and Star Nails does Quattro Gel which can be used to seal polish/nail art. hth's x

That would take me in to a whole new area I have not worked with yet. Plus the cost would be high. My thought was L&P with a polish and a gel overlay just to hold the color longer. On top of that, the color range in polish far out does the gel colors. I might give it a try and see what happens since others have tried it as well. Thanks!

....you use colour gels just like you do nail enamel...its only when using gels to create full nail enhancements or NNO's that require a more in depth knowledge.

The biggest outlet would a lamp and they range from £50 - £80 (ish)

I agree with you for the most part.

But, I do this daily. With Seal-it. I never have to wait longer than 10min for the polish to be dry (as long as you applied the polish in thin & even coats, and it's not old grubby polish).
And the IBD uv topcoat that I mentioned is designed SPECIFICALLY to go over polish. It's cured under uv light.
My clients went into a revolt the day I ran out of seal-it before my order came in. They love that their polish shows absolutely no wear & tear between appointments.

I tried using coloured gels in the beginning, but didn't find it cost effective. To spend 15-30$ on a colour that maybe no one would like? I'd much rather spend my 2-8$ on a polish and if no one likes it, it hurts less to throw it out.

Thanks!
I have the IBD gel I will give it a try. I am not trained yet so I don't do anything on a real nail. I am just learning and thinking of new things to try. I just know from my own hands that the polish is gone in NO time. And clients have to have a repolish. I will be trained By summer and can't wait! I am going to work with CND as I love the way the L&P works and SO many love the gel.

If you polish over L&P your polish will dry quicker & should not chip, I would then finish with NSI Thermo Shield which has to be cured under a uv light or even just a good topcoat because as I said polish shouldn't chip over L&P Acrylic.

Apparently, you can mix a nail polish with Young Nails Mani Q gel. A 50:50 ratio mix is required, and you apply one coat after prep, cure, and then apply second coat, cure, then topcoat. I have only tried it out on a tip myself, but the result was good. Going to try it out tomorrow on son's girlfriend tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes.

I've personally had a bit of trouble with this. It seems to depend on the polish. When I use nail pens to do a french the top gel stays with no problems but when I tried Trosani polish it was to the point that when I wiped the top gel it came off polish and all. When left to dry more thoroughly it chipped for me. I've been told to try a different top gel. I guess it's a little trial and error. I'd recommend that you ask if you could get samples of top gels from different brands and see which works best for you. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back