Polishing large toe nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serendipity

Reaction score
since starting in a salon i am doing heaps of pedis but now my polishing has gone to pot as i have spent the last couple of years just doing acrylic nails! small nails dont seem to be a problem but when i come to large toe nails i have started to panic slightly and however i try it ends up too thick, i do try to not overload the brush but then it wont do the full length. A lady told me to "just take it off and i'll do it at home" yesterday, i nearly burst into tears! it was pooling slightly on the tip! Please share your tips sob, sniff

Oh gosh. Well the thing is, it doesn't matter if you haven't got enough polish on the brush, as long as you always stop in a straight line so you can reload and start again.

The first coat also, it doesn't matter if the polish is streaky so just cover the nail and leave it. Then when you apply the second coat, the polish will glide on quickly and cover evenly.
Best to polish thin coats than try to cover all in one go.

Use a good base coat so the polish glides on. Use a good quality polish and not an old thickened bottle.

Finally, why not watch some of Holly Schippers quick videos re polishing with Shellac ... The way you polish with 'polish' is exactly the same. Her videos can be viewed here on the site in the tutorials section or there are links in her blogs and in the Shellac lovers group.

Relax. Take heart. Tomorrow is another day! :hug:

Thanks Geeg i will try to take a deep breath and give it a go! seems i can spot a very particular lady before she walks in the door and thats when everything goes out the window, i really need to calm down with them but i suppose that comes with time! hopefully sooner rather than later! i feel them watching my every move and hear there sighs. Im goint to watch Holly's video's now :) xx

I know what you mean re certain ladies lol. I have had many demanding clients in my time believe me. You know what I used to do? I used to think to myself, Gigi ... Think of her (the client) like she's my mother or an older friend... These clients are just people after all ... They have all the same bodily functions as you and should never intimidate you! LOL. Thinking of them sitting on the loo with their nickers down kind of takes the intimidating factor away ... Trouble is your hand might shake with your laughing and spoil your nice straight polish lines :hug:

Sometimes on a big toe nail I blob a bit of polish nearer the end for the first coat before taking the brush down and over it, this way you don't need to overload the brush so can keep it thin but you won't run out! With anything the more you do the easier it gets.

I was always taught to polish in 3 strokes. Whilst this works well for small nails, it is pretty difficult on large toe nails. I tend to visually split the nail in half straight down the middle and then think of it as two nails, do the left half in a couple of stokes (as if it was a small nail) then the right half. Probally seems really silly, but has always worked for me and my polish is perfect on large nails every time :green: HTH x

Thanks for the great advice and tips, and the snooty ladies will be imagined on the loo!! :lol:

I was always taught to polish in 3 strokes. Whilst this works well for small nails, it is pretty difficult on large toe nails. I tend to visually split the nail in half straight down the middle and then think of it as two nails, do the left half in a couple of stokes (as if it was a small nail) then the right half. Probally seems really silly, but has always worked for me and my polish is perfect on large nails every time :green: HTH x
I do this also. but i reload the brush for the second half so i don't end up with too much on my brush for me to handle. :)

Latest posts

Back